Fist Impressions of 2013

Fist Impressions...is that intended to play on the fist SCV is using in the Les Mis logo this year? LOL. I agree with much of what you say from the videos so far.

SCV - has by far the most to clean of anyone, which is a great thing. So many well thought out segments of the show but if they can string them together better this show is going to be something really special and have the GE to challenge the top three. Getting a shade of angry SCV from the late 90s that had such powerful hornlines. Do You Hear the People Sing...needs to start slower and softer and build to the end.

Blue Devils - wow is there some wild stuff going on here and I want to see this on a multi-angle recording. Feel like the high cam just misses too much for what is written here. They sound phenomenal which is to be expected, ending is...... Brass, percussion, and guard are just at such a high level...will someone else be able to gap them in GE, may be the only way possible.

Crown - Serious question about the hornline...is it just too powerful? Don't get me wrong they are amazing but I had some major issues with the ballad. Number one dump the narration, it's not needed during the ballad. Secondly for such a tender moment in the show the hornline is emoting like they're on steroids still. I know it's early still but the entire ballad just felt awkward and forced. Fix the ballad and you may run away with this thing

Cadets - Has so many moments of that say it's going to be one of those years for the Cadets. Appreciated the multi angle recording for this show. Several times I caught myself thinking enough body movement, this stuff needs Cadets type movement. Want to see how this brass line holds up to Crown, they are playing really well. Thought I was going to like the arrangements since I'm a big fan of Barber. The arrangements flowed well enough but nothing seemed to develop enough to maximize the effect they are trying to achieve. This is a pretty big structural issue to fix but if anyone can its the Cadets. Guard does not seem up to par with past Cadets

Phantom Regiment - drill very much tells the story,but way too cheesy at the end. I'm sure that's a place holder for something better. Hearing feet through the horns in several parts and that is concerning. Nimrod is the weakest point in the show. Needs to start slower, look up some old recordings with Bernstein conducting and you'll see what I mean. Secondly with Nimrod, let it be a more of itself...some of that arrangement was painful.

Blue Coats - I really like this show. The longer coats work and I kept wondering how the show would work if they were dressed in yellow, lol!

Thanks for the review. Interesting perspective. I agree with some of your points but have to CADETS Guard is one of the

strongest they've had in a long time. I would take a second peak.

Blue Coats - I really like this show. The longer coats work and I kept wondering how the show would work if they were dressed in yellow, lol!

Though the Bluecoats may wear blue coats, they are not Blue Coats.

• Like 1

Thanks for the review. Interesting perspective. I agree with some of your points but have to CADETS Guard is one of the

strongest they've had in a long time. I would take a second peak.

I'll get a chance to watch the video again (once or twice this weekend) and pay more attention. I think I was more distracted by how much I loved the arrangements in the first half and was thinking this show maybe unbeatable, then how much my opinion changed in the second half.

After the Muncie webcast, these are my top 3 shows of the season for me PERSONALLY right now:

1. Carolina Crown - Just an incredible balance in being Crown and moving in a new direction.

2. Troopers - Wow, an incredible homage to who they are as a corps. Battle Hymn Sunburst = my must see live moment of 2013.

3. Madison Scouts - Can't express in words. Wow.

Out of 10 in entertainment to me, these are all 9+s ight now. By finals they could all be 10. Favorite early season since I started following in 2009 by LIGHT YEARS.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1