Why would Cadets go from Pittsburgh to Buffalo for a clinic?

I've always wondered why there weren't pods of corps that toured as a bunch and all did the same shows in week or two-week runs, and they could switch around their caravans at the regionals. Don't know if that would help any of the logistics, but it might allow more coherent planning. It'd be great if every show on the tour had at least one top-6 and one other finalist along with three to six additional corps, both world and open class. Of course, the ToC shows kind of throw a wrench into any such plan...

But I do think the top corps meet up a bit too much during the week. The only time you see more than two top-6 corps on the same bill should be at regionals and finals, IMO. It would certainly give us more to talk about. :w00t:

Edited by skywhopper

True, but we're talking traveling 750 miles to essentially go only an hour away - that's pretty extreme. Since a lot of the non-regional shows are at high school stadiums, stadium availability probably isn't as much of an issue as it might be at a college stadium.

I understand that organizing the whole tour is a logistical nightmare, but I'm willing to bet there is more room for cost savings - especially with today's economy and the cost of fuel.

I missed this earlier. All three stadiums for the weekend in question are college stadiums. The Regional is at the University of Minnesota. The Cavaliers hold their show at Illinois Benedictine College/University and when that is unavailable, they go down the road to North Central College stadium. Phantom held its Show of Shows at Boylan Catholic High School whose arrangement more recently was determined to be too small for the current crowds they have been getting and the activity of the shows that the corps have more recently been presenting. So this year, they moved the competition to a larger field elsewhere with different types of corps. The G7 corps will perform at Phantom's show at Northern Illinois University in Dekalb.

Drilltech1:

Sorry but they weren't scheduled to be rehearsing at the the NFL Ralph Wilson Stadium which is what I assumed you alluded to. They were giving a clinic for high school students to be held at the University at Buffalo Amherst. In turn they were to rehearse in the University's Stadium. I know because they did this last year and I was there. I am sure they probably do this clinic for some of the reasons you stated about getting exposure for USSBA into NY but, mostly I believe it is for money for the corps and the opportunity to rehearse in a large University Stadium. Just my 2 cents.

Drilltech1:

Sorry but they weren't scheduled to be rehearsing at the the NFL Ralph Wilson Stadium which is what I assumed you alluded to. They were giving a clinic for high school students to be held at the University at Buffalo Amherst. In turn they were to rehearse in the University's Stadium. I know because they did this last year and I was there. I am sure they probably do this clinic for some of the reasons you stated about getting exposure for USSBA into NY but, mostly I believe it is for money for the corps and the opportunity to rehearse in a large University Stadium. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the clarifications on my speculations. Now that you mention it, I do remember mention of the UBA factor but failed to remember it when I posted this morning. However, with Cadets or rather Hopkins, just because something was planned one way one year doesn't mean that is the way he will do it the next. He gets bored with status quo very quickly. But to be clear, USBands/USSBA is money fo the corps and is for them a major source. I agree that rehearsal in a larger university stadium is a major factor. Thanks again. 2 cents eventually becomes $1. :-)

Edited by drilltech1

Drill tech 1:

This was new as of last year so Ill have to disagree with what you said about Hop getting bored with the status quo. Maybe he does on certain things but that's for him to decide not for us to speculate. Besides this hasn't gone on long enough for you statement to be true. 2 cents eventually becomes $1,000,000. :)__, Ah, speculation.

I know nothing official but speculate based on knowing the Cadets, having dealt with Mr. Hopkins for years, and knowing NY.

The Cadets, through their base company, YEA, sponsor USBands, formerly known as USSBA, a high school marching band circuit of over several hundred units nationwide. Yet USBands, USSBA has little presence in the State of NY where Education Dept. rules from both the State government and from local boards of education put severe restrictions on high school travel and such. It is easier for a unit from, let's say L.I., to travel the nine hours to Buffalo than to leave the State of NY and travel 40 miles to NJ or CT, etc. (Remember charter bus companies charge more every time you cross a state boundary; something to do with federal rules, etc.)

For years, Hopkins has been trying to make inroads into NY marching band which is dominated by the NYS Field Band Conference with an annual championship each Halloween weekend at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse. For a while USSBA had a presence on L.I. (the most populous area of the State with 95 H.S. in 2 counties), but lost a good number of these bands to NYSFBC.

A clinic at the NFL stadium in Buffalo would allow entry into that end of NYS marching band population.

Additionally this year the Tournament of Champions' finale will be held in that stadium, a few days before DCI championships.

By having a clinic there, the Cadets would benefit from exposure to the stadium where they won the 1990 DCI championship. This would compensate for losing the opportunity to use Giants Stadium/Met Life Stadium at the Meadowlands.

BD uses the stadium at Minneapolis where the Regional will be held to host a clinic the day before the Regional. Yes, horn angles to the box are adjusted by BD just as I suspect that Cadets would do the same at Buffalo. Crown, Cavies, Cadets, etc. have rented the Papa John Stadium at Louisville at times for clinics, rehearsals, and adjustments for the same reason: a larger venue which allows the corps to prepare for their Dome appearences at Indy, Atlanta, San Antonio, etc.

This is all my speculation based on long time experience with the internals of these high level corps. A clinic for h.s. kids is more than just a clinic.

This is fairly close to the truth. With the return of Drums Along the Waterfront/TOC to the area, the Cadets have been hosting a fairly successful MIM clinic there. Being equidistant from Cadets and Coats, a lot of underdeveloped potential exists in the area. It's actually a very proactive method to broaden talent pools and audiences - Orchard Park and West Genessee have both BOA potential or history - Music For All posters bite your tongues. Also, a few middle and high school programs such as Williamsville and Clarence, although more "high brow," have college calibre musicians. Besides, the Burgh is only a short couple of hours to Buffalo. It's not in the arctic circle you know.

I missed this earlier. All three stadiums for the weekend in question are college stadiums. The Regional is at the University of Minnesota. The Cavaliers hold their show at Illinois Benedictine College/University and when that is unavailable, they go down the road to North Central College stadium. Phantom held its Show of Shows at Boylan Catholic High School whose arrangement more recently was determined to be too small for the current crowds they have been getting and the activity of the shows that the corps have more recently been presenting. So this year, they moved the competition to a larger field elsewhere with different types of corps. The G7 corps will perform at Phantom's show at Northern Illinois University in Dekalb.

How are all three stadiums in question college stadiums when you mentioned the Rockford stadium is Boylan High School??

My point was about last year, before they moved the Rockford TOC to NIU - and all the corps traveled about 750 miles to go an hour down the road.

How are all three stadiums in question college stadiums when you mentioned the Rockford stadium is Boylan High School??

My point was about last year, before they moved the Rockford TOC to NIU - and all the corps traveled about 750 miles to go an hour down the road.

..now you are just being nit-picking to be righteous. Dekalb is where the show you mentioned will be held this year, agreed.