Dear Mr. Acheson...

[/size]

Hmm... I guess we must not be friends on Facebook. :-)

Anyway...

Guess not, but I do mean what I say with 100% sincerity. If you truly have connections, business knowhow, outside-the-box ideas that will actually work etc. by all means do something. If DCI is on the brink of extinction, like some seem to like to proclaim, then by all means jump in and save them with your brilliant ideas.

I really mean that sincerely, and not in a facetious or sarcastic way. Get off the soapbox, click off of DCP, and go do something. I mean that to anyone here: an open letter to DCP, so to speak. If someone thinks they have awesome connections, business knowhow that is lacking at the DCI Board Level, brilliant marketing strategy, etc. by all means pick up the phone and call DCI and pitch them your idea. Don't waste time here, go do something and let the rest of us complain about DCI being bands or BD & Hopkins or whatever pure nonsense we do here on DCP :tongue:

• Like 1

After all, 17,000 folks at Finals is nothing to sneeze at, when 35,000 would probably just be greedy.

Wait for someone to tell you it's not really about the numbers at Finals, since that's what they were doing this spring when I pointed out the same thing. Lord knows the corps wouldn't want another 10,000 potential t-shirt buyers around on Finals week. cool.gif

If DCI is still talking about "the cost" of being on television, it shows they still don't understand the first thing about how it works. If you have to pay someone to broadcast your events, you're not "being shown"; you're buying ad time

Edited by Slingerland

DCI's Facebook post isn't just disingenuous, its exceedingly short-sighted, as well.

To say that they reach more new fans on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube than they ever did on broadcast TV completely ignores the fact that none of those entities, to the best of my knowledge, even existed when DCI last put a corps on the air.

And by the logic DCI employs with their FB post, motion picture and TV producers reach more people via social media than they do in the theaters. Perhaps that's why P and A (publicity and advertising) account for a major portion of a production budget.

There is no question that DCI knows how to manage the drum and bugle corps activity. I'm simply saying that they either just don't know how to sell it, or they're woefully uninformed as to how it can be done on a much more ambitious scale.

• Like 1

Danielray, you pretty much nailed it.

As for taking action vs. posting long screeds here, in addition to your having lined up Microsoft, only to be ultimately rebuffed, I myself have some experience in that regard. WGN America comes to mind, who were quite hot on the idea of Finals, but grew discouraged at what they saw was increasing reluctance on the part of DCI when it came time to actually set up a meeting.

Lets just say that its pretty hard to get a project off the ground if the people who's product you're trying to sell stop returning phone calls. Potential advertisers tend to frown on temperamental artists who guard their work as closely as a starving pit bull guards his first meal in a week.

• Like 3

[/size]

Funny that DCI reacts to DCP. :-)

Anyway, this sort of demonstrates that DCI doesn't really understand how these metrics translate into reality.

190k likes on facebook is not equivalent to 190k viewers of a television program.

Breaking this down..

While DCI had 190k likes on their FB page, the actual reach of that is less than 15k.

They have roughly the same number of subscribers (15k) on YouTube and about 4.5M aggregate views across their entire channel (about 500 videos).

1.2M of those views are throwaway, as they were for a Harlem Shake video that was drawing traffic simply based on the keyword Harlem Shake. It had such a negative response that they had to turn off comments.

The second most popular video is BD 2011 with 220k.

So, reality is just over 3 million views across.

In contrast, BD has about 14M views on less than 1/3 of the number of videos posted, with more than 11M of those being from a single video.

Bottom line, DCI is so far from maximizing the potential with social media compared to potential with broadcast and have successfully monetized neither.

A few things

1) Clearly I'm wrong when I was kind of insinuating that you are all talk. While it might be a safe to say that majority of people complaining on DCP do little/nothing for the activity other than as a fan (i.e. they don't volunteer, teach, serve on a BoD, actively try to fundraise for a corps/DCI beyond giving money or sponsoring a member, etc), it's never wise to assume or argue that's the case w/out knowing all the facts. I apologize for making that assumption in your case (and others), and I appreciate that instead of stooping to my level and coming back at me with aggressive snide remarks you instead engaged me in thoughtful discourse. Thank you.

2). IMO, that last line you state above is kind of my entire point. DCI is falling FAR short maximizing the resources they are (kind of bluntly) dabbling in. It seems like good business that before a company jumps into aggressive expansion (that has traditionally cost a lot of money for arguably little/no return on investment - remember DCI was regularly on TV at what was possibly the height of corps folding) they first maximize what they currently have on their plate. I'm 100% in agreement with you that DCI needs to make a stronger effort with Facebook and Youtube as well more content on FN. Maybe there are ways for DCI to kill two birds with one stone (do new things that put the spotlight on their own things) but for the most part it seems like not the best idea to commit $$ and resources before they max out what they're doing now.