Dear Mr. Acheson...

Please translate for us dinos, please.

It's short for "Too Long; Didn't Read".

Or, you know, DCI can utilize Fan Network, which they already have as a way to get subscribers. Do they have adds and stuff on youtube, or other stuff blasting their product to the masses? I know individual corps do that kind of stuff, but I can't recall really seeing much advertising for actual Fan Network

That too.

However, Roku is going to reach a lot more people than Fan Network.

The startup cost of such a thing would be trivial . . .DCI could control the content easily.

Call me, Dan. Let's do lunch.

I hope he takes you up on your offer. I get what you're saying. I work in television, producer, and I write about entertainment related things for one of the larger papers in the country (Canada) and I know all it takes many times is just doing it. I know some of what you have to do to make things happen and the kind of money it takes - money that someone invests, and often doesn't get a return on (and they're still happy they were along for the ride).

So what if nobody ever heard of your activity, or you, the point is they are going to if you tell them. Most certainly they'll still not know anything about your interest if you don't.

Go big, or go home - and don't listen to the negative talkers who don't know much of what you already know and have done repeatedly; that's what I've observed from successful people with new ideas (or previously unheard of ideas like - what's a drum corps?).

Every single one of the corps left today started as an idea that many people passively connected at the outset said - that ain't going to work. I wasn't there, but I've seen it time and time again in all sorts of arenas (did I mention I'm heavily involved in politics and community issues - the number of arm chair quarterbacks who only run interferance is astounding).

Things get done because someone like you saw an opportunity and ran with it. When you have success, all the same people who said it couldn't be done are the same ones who pat you on the back and say - I knew you could do it.

Good luck, the activity needs people like you.

Regards,

John

Edited by sarnia sam
  • Like 2

This 'corporate sponsorship' idea has already been tried and failed. Want proof? Ask the CEO of Circle-K if sponsoring Suncoast Sound Drum & Bugle Corps worked for either the corps or the company; ask the CEO of Knights Inn if that company was able to survive by sponsoring The Knights Drum & Bugle Corps. The answer is absolutely NO!

That's one of the more bizarre misreadings of how sponsorships work that I've ever seen.

Home Depot doesn't sponsor a NASCAR team because that's gonna, by itself, keep them in business. They do it to keep their name in front of people who go to NASCAR races, because it's a way to build affinity for their brand; because the people watching those races say "hey, Home Depot must agree with me that this stupid ___t is actually interesting - they're one of me! Next time I'm shoppin' for 2 x 4's I'm gointa Home Depot!"

When Boeing sponsors an opera company, the same principle is at stake. They want the opera crowd to think "oh, Boeing's sophisticated, like me."

DCI could find corporate support for their season, but first they'd have to hire a team who knows who to call and how to pitch.They don't have that at present.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 3

That too.

However, Roku is going to reach a lot more people than Fan Network.

The startup cost of such a thing would be trivial . . .DCI could control the content easily.

Not to mention an AppleTV app (and maybe a real working iOS app as well).

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS!!!

Great post. With regards to TV, I can not believe in this day of 500 TV channels that with the proper effort. DCI couldn't find someone to broadcast Finals. It just doesn't make sense. Maybe DCI should hire an experienced Marketing person with experience marketing to TV? The DCI organization seems satisfied with merely treading water, rather than aggressively trying to grow the activity. DCI is very stale & needs new blood & new ideas.

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 1

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS!!!

Great post. With regards to TV, I can not believe in this day of 500 TV channels that with the proper effort. DCI couldn't find someone to broadcast Finals. It just doesn't make sense. Maybe DCI should hire an experienced Marketing person with experience marketing to TV? The DCI organization seems satisfied with merely treading water, rather than aggressively trying to grow the activity. DCI is very stale & needs new blood & new ideas.

There are plenty of channels willing to broadcast finals. What there are not, however, are plenty of folks willing to pay for it.

There are plenty of channels willing to broadcast finals. What there are not, however, are plenty of folks willing to pay for it.

You don't think that they could sell commercial time for a Drum Corps broadcast? For God sakes, look at some of the crap on TV that contains commercials? The Drum Corps demographic is middle to upper class, which can most certainly be sold to.

You don't think that they could sell commercial time for a Drum Corps broadcast? For God sakes, look at some of the crap on TV that contains commercials? The Drum Corps demographic is middle to upper class, which can most certainly be sold to.

DCI lost a truckload of money broadcasting the show on ESPN. The made less in commercial sales than they paid the network to air it. The future isn't broadcast television, it's streaming internet. Over-the-air and standard cable are living on borrowed time. I'd *love* to see DCI make a deal with Netflix. That's where they should go with the Fan Network and archives.

• Like 4