Quincy Quandry 6-29-13

Not sure if the other thread is a show thread so......

Quincy MA CYO Nations Tribute Show

Boston Crusaders - Boston, MA

Phantom Regiment - Rockford, IL

The Cadets - Allentown, PA

Bluecoats - Canton, OH

Jersey Surf - Camden County, NJ

Raiders - Burlington, NJ

7th Regiment - New London, CT

Spartans - Nashua, NH

Crusaders Senior - Boston, MA

The Muchachos - Manchester, NH

Show is underway, so not sure if we'll get any updates, but please post your thoughts on the show for those that can't be there!

Spartans and 7th Regiment first time out?

Will Surf's score climb if they don't get rained on?

Who will win?

Any fun memories of past CYO Nationals?

<edit>

Anyway, very excited about the show tonight. It is quite literally one block down the street from my house. :thumbup:/>/>

I had the chance to listen to Boston rehearsing every day when they were here, so I'm excited to see how much they've improved in just a few weeks. Should be a great show!

World Class about to start with Surf. Great first shows for Spartans and 7th, both with plenty of room to grow. Spartans guard is huge! Both corps are about the same size, save for Spartans having 14 more in the cg. I think Spartans are a little north of 100 membership this year. Uni's look great.

I grabbed the two comments from the other thread that pertain to this show, thanks for posting Musicman.

Edited by jonnyboy

Surf entertaining as always, but one of these days the performance quality has got to catch up with the entertainment factor. Drill was largely unreadable in tight formations, brass blend needs work, pit is almost a bit overpowering, and I'm out by the 30. Very accessible music, crowd eating it up tonight! Might be the brightest corps of the night! Haha

Edited by Musicman1084

Last night in Jackson, NJ.

World Class

1 The Cadets 77.600

2 Phantom Regiment 73.900

3 Bluecoats 73.200

4 Boston Crusaders 69.200

5 Jersey Surf 52.400

Open Class

1 Raiders 55.200

As far as I can tell from the Jackson thread our corps had some weather issues last night:

Surf got rained on, and it was their first judged show. They did perform in exhibition last weekend in Bayonne. Hoping a second read by the judges tonight will reveal some more points.

Bluecoats performed without helmets last night. Wet conditions and no helmets...might have a better show tonight with better conditions?

Phantom performed without electronics, one would have to assume that plugging in tonight will be worth something.

A few reviewers said The Cadets should have be up five more points. Crown has already hit 80, will The Cadets follow suit?

Edited by jonnyboy

Holy #### Bluecoats. Disliked it in the theaters, loved it in person... Where to start...

The good: show is wonderfully written, music flows very well, brassline and drumline are incredible once again. Tons of clarity in music already.

The not so good (in my opinion): I hate the marching technique. It makes them look like they're bouncing a ton with little control. Guard needs some clarity in weapons work (especially on the bleachers, yikes!) and also in the costumes. I know the story behind them, but the lack of uniformity, at least in color palette, is an eyesore to me.

...and a holy #### to you too, Cadets. I love this show and can't wait to see it come August.

Brassline wasn't nearly as pristine or loud as I was expecting, but very good nonetheless. Really wish they had more opportunities to let us have it, because they had one moment in the second movement that was outrageously loud. Percussion should win high drums this year. Flams for days. Guard is terrific. Brass gets some assistance from some low thunderous goo a couple of times in the show. Prop movement still seems very labored, and don't understand the color palette.

Breaking 80 will depend on captions being judged tonight. Highly likely if percussion is in the mix and maybe guard.

...and a holy #### to you too, Cadets. I love this show and can't wait to see it come August.

Brassline wasn't nearly as pristine or loud as I was expecting, but very good nonetheless. Really wish they had more opportunities to let us have it, because they had one moment in the second movement that was outrageously loud. Percussion should win high drums this year. Flams for days. Guard is terrific. Brass gets some assistance from some low thunderous goo a couple of times in the show. Prop movement still seems very labored, and don't understand the color palette.

Breaking 80 will depend on captions being judged tonight. Highly likely if percussion is in the mix and maybe guard.

Have you seen SCV this year? I am no drummer, but #### if their drumline doesn't sound VERY tight. Looking forward to seeing this bunch at New Haven tomorrow night.

Phantom's guard is absolutely stunning. The work is incredible but movement even better. Wonderfully integrated into the show and great contrast to the corps proper. My pick to win guard tonight if it's judged. Visual program was great overall and my favorite of the night so far.

I'm concerned about phantom musically. Should I be? I can't believe I'm even saying that. Drumline is improved over last year, but brass sounds thin at certain times, especially more exposed parts. Muddy at other times... Strange to hear that. Loud as hell though. 3 tuba holes tonight. Right now I have coats over them.

• Like 3

Phantom's guard is absolutely stunning. The work is incredible but movement even better. Wonderfully integrated into the show and great contrast to the corps proper. My pick to win guard tonight if it's judged. Visual program was great overall and my favorite of the night so far.

I'm concerned about phantom musically. Should I be? I can't believe I'm even saying that. Drumline is improved over last year, but brass sounds thin at certain times, especially more exposed parts. Muddy at other times... Strange to hear that. Loud as hell though. 3 tuba holes tonight. Right now I have coats over them.

My sis is a Phantomette this year. They do look great on the field :thumbup: