Color Guard:

Phantom 14.8 Bluecoats 14.6 <--- not Debbie, -0.2

6/29

Visual Analysis:

Phantom 14.7 Bluecoats 14.3 <--- not Debbie -0.4

Color Guard:

Phantom 15.0 Bluecoats 14.3 <---- Debbie Torchia -0.7 spread

accounted for 77% of the total gap between the two corps

at least Costanza wasn't at this one too! :-)

sorry... just been watching her judging for years now and it always bugs me how from show to show she seems to hit bluecoats harder than other judges evaluating the same caption on different nights... I know you all probably think I'm a conspiracy theorist - but maybe somebody else will see what I'm seeing

Edited by nero14

6/26:

Visual Analysis:

Phantom 14.8, Bluecoats 14.0 <--- Debbie Torchia -0.8 spread

Color Guard:

Phantom 14.8 Bluecoats 14.6 <--- not Debbie, -0.2

6/29

Visual Analysis:

Phantom 14.7 Bluecoats 14.3 <--- not Debbie -0.4

Color Guard:

Phantom 15.0 Bluecoats 14.3 <---- Debbie Torchia -0.7 spread

accounted for 77% of the total gap between the two corps

at least Costanza wasn't at this one too! :-)

sorry... just been watching her judging for years now and it always bugs me how from show to show she seems to hit bluecoats harder than other judges evaluating the same caption on different nights... I know you all probably think I'm a conspiracy theorist - but maybe somebody else will see what I'm seeing

I'll be honest with you... I completely agree with her spreads in both captions after watching both corps tonight. Phantom is way ahead of the Coats in both captions at the moment. Tonight's guard spread should have been larger, in my opinion, but I also thought Phantom's guard should have outscored the Cadets.

Music is another story. Coats handily win those captions. In fact, I though they would be so far ahead in music that they would take it tonight, but they were unfortunately only judged in one music caption tonight (with what I would consider too small of a spread).

Edited by Musicman1084

I'll be honest with you... I completely agree with her spreads in both captions after watching both corps tonight. Phantom is way ahead of the Coats in both captions at the moment. Tonight's guard spread should have been larger, in my opinion, but I also thought Phantom's guard should have outscored the Cadets.

Music is another story. Coats handily win those captions. In fact, I though they would be so far ahead in music that they would take it tonight, but they were unfortunately only judged in one music caption tonight (with what I would consider too small of a spread).

sure- and it's not that I think she's got the placements wrong for her captions- it's just her spreads have struck me a bigger vs other judges doing the same categories on other nights- with respect to bluecoats

Several of these corps have been in the same shows this week. Must be frustrating to see scores going down in consecutive shows while the scores are going up out west.

I actually think that those that compare scores from different shows probably deserve such frustration ( unless they are new to the activity ). Those that are comparing scores from different shows ( with different sized panels, captions judged, mix of corps, judges, ets) and have been around more than a year or two are getting the frustration ( or the false sense of pleasantness ) that is deserved right now, imo. I don't mean this in any insulting way either. But I do believe that people that should know better that are comparing scores, and ranking corps off those scores, have essentially momentarily lost their sense of history ( if not their minds ) of what the past has told them about the value or lack therof of comparing scores at different shows. But.... it happens every year. Every year. And so here we are once again, with people, many of whom one would think that would know better, are still comparing scores from different shows.

For an example, a couple of years ago Academy got a good score out West in late June. It put them immediately into the TOP 12 on DCP ranking.... at 10th. I sounded the alarm. But the Academy folks rejected my overtures for caution. A week later Academy went head to head with others in a full panel with a different mix of Corps and their score fell 6 points. They fell out of the Top 12 in the head to head competition. Their fans on here were shocked, dismayed, disappointed. They never understood why it happened. BUT... I did explain it to them earlier, but to no avail. Thats why these placements and comparison of scores probably causes a lot of frustation in the end for a lot of people as they continue to make the mistake of comparing scores from different shows as if it had some meaningful value. Yet throughout history we find that only the head to head matchups count for placement rankings and scores, and spreads between individual Corps... nothing else. But, it is what it is, and fans do what they do and so thats that.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Phantom's guard is absolutely stunning. The work is incredible but movement even better. Wonderfully integrated into the show and great contrast to the corps proper. My pick to win guard tonight if it's judged. Visual program was great overall and my favorite of the night so far.

I'm concerned about phantom musically. Should I be? I can't believe I'm even saying that. Drumline is improved over last year, but brass sounds thin at certain times, especially more exposed parts. Muddy at other times... Strange to hear that. Loud as hell though. 3 tuba holes tonight. Right now I have coats over them.

I hear exactly what you're saying about the brass. When they need to play loud and together they have a great sound, but individual section sounds are very weak throughout most of the show. Trumpets are pretty great though. I really hope their sound develops significantly over the season.

Cadets Guard book is MUCH more demanding than Phantom's as elegant and wonderful as they are. Take a look at how many times the flags throw and exchange, bolts do high tosses and catch on an angle while on the move. My complaint with Phantom is they need to add some equipment work. A bit too much body movement or sitting on sideline.

Edited by newjerseycorpguy

OR... you could just ignore scores for now. Just enjoy the show! :)

Scores will work themselves out over the multitude of Regionals.

Lol, this is a competition. There is no fun in ignoring scores.

Cadets Guard book is MUCH more demanding than Phantom's as elegant and wonderful as they are. Take a look at how many times the flags throw and exchange, bolts do high tosses and catch on an angle while on the move. My complaint with Phantom is they need to add some equipment work. A bit too much body movement or sitting on sideline.

Agreed regarding demand, but last night Phantom was the better guard in my opinion, at least in terms of achievement and cleanliness.

totally blew it last night and forgot my phone for a review of each as it happened so ill review from my memory which probably shows more what stood out anyway!

Spartans are back--great show i was completely blown away to see them performing at this level after the issues they had a few years ago. They were certainly back and balanced in my opinion. The show theme can and I am sure will be developed more as we go but they have strong performance across the board. I had them easily in first with it being tighter in guard and thats exactly what happened.

7th Regiment Luminous had some beautiful visual moments especially thanks to the guard. The corps was again solid and balanced in other categories and for a corps who hasnt been around long was really very entertaining and showing some drum corps know how. wasnt Phantoms into the light show but it was refreshing they didnt just copy that completely and made the show their own.

Raider--to be honest guard was the only thing that stood out to me in this show--deep dark Raven fits the corps completely, but its not catching on yet. maybe too much narration. I had to chuckle as they pulled a door out (which is far from finished it seems) and a few guys behind me were joking not to go through the door--we know where that leads and pulling in some cadets door jokes--even as a cadet fan it was funny. maybe paint the plywood raiders??

after intermission (well before it was over) Surf was already entertaining the crowd. Glad I was back early because felt like we were out at a club! fun groove machine show that the crowd once again really dug. to me felt like step up from last year as it was more than just fun--it was performed well...however crowd wasnt happy they got 5th but really---who did they think they beat??? they were not top 12 nor do i think they expect to be---goal desired entertain the crap out of the crowd---goal achieved...

Bluecoats lit the place up searching for america. I think the guard got ripped off a bit as they were very strong--were they 3rd yes but by that much? I dont think so. The show is clean, fun, all american summer time feel. I dont get all of the story with the girl and the red balloon but I am sure I will at some point. New unis look great and i was skeptical. the use of the bleachers adds a nice effect even though the annoying guys behind me at first were making fun of it. there will be some cool moments of the year from them--i especially enjoy the parade splitting up and two groups forming playing different marching pieces. This show, like Madison, is a different kind of patriotic without being cheesy patriotism so i really enjoyed it! I had them in solid second.

Cadets--HOLY WOW--I have seen them early season so many times--i dont ever recall them being so clean so early or feeling like a very full production so early. The annoying guys said they were finals ready--now is that true? of course not but #### it didnt feel far off that. I am a cadets fan USUALLY but anyone who follows me knows i have had my questionable years and I assumed this would be one for me because shoot me I am not a Barber fan--BUT they do it SO WELL, it was hard not to be impressed--percussion and brass--off the charts. it like most Barber shows is NOT emotional so the crowd didnt seem to think it should win--see surf post--however there was no doubt in my mind it was about to win...to well done to impressive not to. expect some fast moving visual in for the end. the annoying guys didnt like the quiet ending and the crowd was slow to react even though they were bursting in wild crazy loud moments...just like most shows where it filled with novice level fans, they dont like quiet endings period...its made for finals and i think it could be hard to beat--top 3 will be CLOSE!

Phantom i was pumped so pre-season in the park video and was blown away and then saw it and it was a bit flat--was it bad, god no I dont know that i could see a phantom show and ever think that but was it truly beating bluecoats? I dont think so. it feels vulnerable unless they boost it up fast but thats typical phantom--i see them early season and they lack passion by finals i am crying...weakness is music--strength is visual--guard was awesome...so i wonder once full slate of judges where it will be. the show doesnt really say anything yet other than we like birch trees...so I am looking for them to take it further.

Boston--i am a Boston fan. HOWEVER when i watch a show and my main thought is, Crusaders have the best looking boys in guard, its not really a good thing. I should be so thrown down by their show that thats an after thought -- this years show is not Boston as we know it. If I wasnt told it was them i really would have thought it was not a top 12 corps. Uniforms are cool concept and the throw back Kennedy thing but eh. Guard unis are down right odd and i kept trying to figure out of it was real jeans they were wearing or those odd pajama jean things. percussion--was pretty solid but overall its one of their weakest shows in years and the theme is certainly not yet there. I HOPE they pull out of it and I HOPE they make finals but at this point, I am not holding my breathe!

After they had a drum off which i was excited about but between Surf and Crusaders! Give Cadets vs BLOOOO! anyhow it was fun--while there was no winner--the ironic thing was Surf won LOL more entertaining, more energetic, got crowd going did a little throw down. Boston looked unprepared -- had no visual appeal without cymbals and just seemed to do a street beat. The heavily favored home crowd even seemed let down. little too tempered for a drum off LOL

rankings I was all in with placements other than I still feel Bluecoats beat Phantom even if close. everything else was legit and trust me I dont mind saying when I disagree with a judge or 8.

what was supposed to be a night filled with lighting was a perfect drum corps night all around. All corps (minus Boston) impressed me with the level they were at for early season compared to past years. I wasnt going to go to Lynn Friday and now I dont think I can stay away!!!