Bristol on the bay...

I just returned from Bristol. It took me four hours to get there, and I only have myself to blame. There was no way of avoiding Cape Cod traffic from where I live, and when I got to Warren, the neighboring town to Bristol, I should have remembered it is one long road into Bristol and not only would a person hit show traffic, you also join in with people heading to Newport. It is July 3rd, I once lived in a coastal to0wn, so I should have known better! Next time I will leave earlier and spend some time enjoying the harbor and Naragansett Bay. However, it was well worth the traffic.

Now I was a little surprised that Bluecoats topped Phantom. Last week at CYO I thought Bluecoats was on fire and Phantom was good, but not as good as I thought they could have been. This week I found Bluecoats a bit off, not drastically, but I did notice a few "bleacher" issues but they were handled well but the brass did not give me goose bumps .like last week I didn't expect a huge difference in scores, since both were very good, especially for this time of the year, but it did surprise me. That being said, I love both shows. I also have to give a shout out to my friends at BAC. They've made some significant changes, namely making sure the action is more front and center than it was just last week, and this probably accounts for a better score. Surf was Surf, and you can't help but love them. Cadets could probably be heard ten mile away. Sheer musical power.

Now while I did not think Bluecoats would outscore Phantom, Bluecoats did provide some of the greatest memories of the evening in the encores. They performed part of their show along with a great rendition of Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer" that included vocals and they went "Old School" with "Autumn Leaves." All in all a great way to9 begin celebrating the 4th.

The bottom two photos in this link My link

which show the mellophones "at work" pretending to be pit people from the front ensemble at practice and the bottom of the local scenery reminds me that Cadets' trademark Rocky Point Holiday was penned by Ron Nelson just down the strand from Bristol back in his day.

• Like 1