Bristol on the bay...

From a performers perspective...the Bristol show sucks. Big time.

There...I said it.

tumblr_lpy3drNZ5u1r1ce2ro1_500.gif

Edit...the parade is fun, though. At least as fun as parades can be...which is still not very.

I agree. The stadium's grass was incredibly high. But the crowd was phenomenal. And the parade was great once we got done. Great food!

• Like 1

Haha I just had to laugh. I grew up in a town of 12,000

Where we live, Ivins, UT, has about 7,000 residents and is a city with a Mayor and City Manager. Talk about top heavy in politics!

Love the whole Bristol experience. Crossmen consistently have stayed at the show site. Usually flooded out practice fields.. but BOX 5 showers if i remember right.

The grass my first year was pretty bad. The second year, not so much because it was wet (or mud by the time the Cadets went on). It is a pretty crappy stadium for a show.. but the crowd is aways electric. Marching on that field does suck though. Especially nowadays when almost all shows are on turf or low grass and just don't get as much practice marching through the grass.

The parade is great. The crowd loves the corps. It was always great to hear the crowd roaring for Crown up ahead when they turned to the side.. then we would do the same thing and jsut blow their faces off.

Heard it a fun parade to be on staff.. you often get invited in for a beer at many of the house.

Real rowdy crowd.. but a ton of fun.

Wakefield(?) is always a nice parade too. I know all the corps in the parade would set up their food trucks all in the same lot and you could go around to any truck and just pig out. All I can say is Boston gets fed right!!! Then you have the fireworks at night.. cute little downtown area. Nice ice cream place. I loved the 4th when I marched. Nice break from the daily grind of your show.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife
  • Like 2

Love the whole Bristol experience. Crossmen consistently have stayed at the show site. Usually flooded out practice fields.. but BOX 5 showers if i remember right.

The grass my first year was pretty bad. The second year, not so much because it was wet (or mud by the time the Cadets went on). It is a pretty crappy stadium for a show.. but the crowd is aways electric. Marching on that field does suck though. Especially nowadays when almost all shows are on turf or low grass and just don't get as much practice marching through the grass.

The parade is great. The crowd loves the corps. It was always great to hear the crowd roaring for Crown up ahead when they turned to the side.. then we would do the same thing and jsut blow their faces off.

Heard it a fun parade to be on staff.. you often get invited in for a beer at many of the house.

Real rowdy crowd.. but a ton of fun.

Wakefield(?) is always a nice parade too. I know all the corps in the parade would set up their food trucks all in the same lot and you could go around to any truck and just pig out. All I can say is Boston gets fed right!!! Then you have the fireworks at night.. cute little downtown area. Nice ice cream place. I loved the 4th when I marched. Nice break from the daily grind of your show.

In so many ways, Bristol lends the current marching members a touch of family, community, and country as well as a beautiful scenery with the oldest of all the Fourth of July celebrations for our nation. In some ways, this experience also links current marchers with those Dinos BITD who remember doing loads of parades, local and small site shows rather than NFL stadiums, impromptu concerts and encores, and the after parties sometimes with the fans, other corps, and down time with our corpsmates. For all the "progress" over the DCI years, Bristol returns the activity to its roots. One can't have a strong skyscraper without a firm foundation. Bristol provides that which is why so many corps choose to participate even though there are so many options available that day. Where else do the neighbors have tables of paper cups filled with water and Del's lemonade in case the corps stops and needs renewal? or the spontaneous misting hoses the year the parade temp was mid-90's? Or the thousands who still stand on the sidelines in the pouring rain just to keep a two hundred plus year old tradition going?

Unfortunately, my ride to the show and parade backed out at last minute and the trains and buses will get me there too late. I am going to miss it. Please enjoy it for me.

• Like 2

I really wish I could go too! Once I actually have a somewhat normal job, every year I'd like to take a trip up the area for the show and parade. Hopefully Crossmen will be back there next year. They did the mid-west tour this year for a change. They have been dong the parade for quite some time according to the alumni. I feel like when one the east corps is missing it's not quite the same event. With Crown and Crossmen missing from the east coast early this season it has definitely been different. But there is still plenty to love!

Boston also just spent two full rehearsal days on major changes to their show....I have no insider knowledge about their parade attire tomorrow, but they WERE in red for the encore at the CYO Nationals last Saturday night...

Yes they are working on adding new stuff as planned. Been down there the past few days. Everyone working hard. Good luck to all tonight.

OTOH you'd have rehearsal sites like this:

5857_10200143354694377_1660804248_n.jpg

Hmmm, wow! That's breathtaking..