Could SCV be a dark horse?

I think SCV has a decent chance to medal. We'll have to see how they line up with Cadets on Thursday. If they can find more visual effects to add like the backdrop screen props which they use AWESOMELY, I think they are a strong contender for third place. In another year this show might be a shoe-in for top 3, but it's going to be tough. Cadets, Crown, and Blue Devils are all on fire this season as well. And I think Bluecoats in particular have the right design to make it back into medal contention as well.

I'm not going to say it can't happen, but it would take a LOT of doing to win against the Crodetvils (?). But at this point I think SCV is the favorite for fourth place, but could go up or down a notch depending on what Phantom and Bluecoats do.

• Like 1

I think SCV has a decent chance to medal. We'll have to see how they line up with Cadets on Thursday. If they can find more visual effects to add like the backdrop screen props which they use AWESOMELY, I think they are a strong contender for third place. In another year this show might be a shoe-in for top 3, but it's going to be tough. Cadets, Crown, and Blue Devils are all on fire this season as well. And I think Bluecoats in particular have the right design to make it back into medal contention as well.

I'm not going to say it can't happen, but it would take a LOT of doing to win against the Crodetvils (?). But at this point I think SCV is the favorite for fourth place, but could go up or down a notch depending on what Phantom and Bluecoats do.

Interesting that you see Coats as a more potential contender than SCV. Coats seem to be further back. Currently below both Madison and Phantom. But like I said in my original post, stranger things have happened. Seems to me though that Coats seem a bit of a bigger stretch than SCV. Unless things really shift (and they may), it looks more like Vanguard is in their own 4th place bubble with no one all that close on either side of them. That can obviously change though. For me it's more sentiment than anything else. I want to see a theatrical show like this win again. It's understandable, theatrical, musically melodic and appealing. To me, it's drum corps how I grew up knowing it. Yet, with enough modernized flare to get the attention from the gate keepers of the activity. I realize it's wishful thinking, but I wish it would win.

• Like 3

I saw them last night and I was surprised they didn't look as good as I thought they would be. They have a great show, but the brass line was visually dirty as hell. BD and Crown were much better in that regard. Can they clean it up and medal? I think they can. Will they? We'll see.

• Like 2

Interesting that you see Coats as a more potential contender than SCV. Coats seem to be further back. Currently below both Madison and Phantom. But like I said in my original post, stranger things have happened. Seems to me though that Coats seem a bit of a bigger stretch than SCV. Unless things really shift (and they may), it looks more like Vanguard is in their own 4th place bubble with no one all that close on either side of them. That can obviously change though. For me it's more sentiment than anything else. I want to see a theatrical show like this win again. It's understandable, theatrical, musically melodic and appealing. To me, it's drum corps how I grew up knowing it. Yet, with enough modernized flare to get the attention from the gate keepers of the activity. I realize it's wishful thinking, but I wish it would win.

couldn't agree more

I could see this being a 4 way battle once SCV puts the finishing touches on their design. I'd say BD and Crown are pretty much where they are on design. There will be small changes here and there... different endings. SCV a see a couple more major changes or additions happening. Cadets are pretty solid and are debuting new drill tonight. And I think they will be pretty set in design also.

Where SCV is behind the most is clean drill I guess. Last night did not seem like a good run. I thought I saw someone say it could have been attributed to the field not being fully marked because the way they do drill they rely on field markings quite a bit. That is one possibility.. but not an excuse. I mean finals has been on fields without all the markings (usually whenever it has been on grass)... you have to know just by looking how many steps away from the yardline you are. If all else fails use people. Honestly have no clue how they teach it there though.

Anyway. If SCV can clean things up.. and add to their show a bit more, this cold be a 4 way race. Of 4 very different shows. Which I think is what DCI wants. Next Saturday we will get a better picture though. Depending on next Saturday.. everything might change. Ya never know what the judges will think... (which is pretty bad.... they SHOULD be predictable and somewhat consistent from judge to judge barring any major performance issues in that particular, but that is a whole different topic!

• Like 3

What are the chances? Stranger things have happened and they do seem to be holding strong where they are and improving regularly.

I absolutely love SCV's show this year...I could never get tired of listening to Les Miserables...I believe they have the potential to medal for sure, but I don't believe that they will win it given the really strong field of other competitors this year...Would I be disappointed if they did win? Absolutely not! Their compression drill is actually a personal favorite of mine...Weber is a genius! ...I'm just curious as to what you mean by "Stranger things have happened." What and when?

Where SCV is behind the most is clean drill I guess. Last night did not seem like a good run. I thought I saw someone say it could have been attributed to the field not being fully marked because the way they do drill they rely on field markings quite a bit. That is one possibility.. but not an excuse. I mean finals has been on fields without all the markings (usually whenever it has been on grass)... you have to know just by looking how many steps away from the yardline you are. If all else fails use people. Honestly have no clue how they teach it there though.

As far as I understand it, they teach all dot there.

I absolutely love SCV's show this year...I could never get tired of listening to Les Miserables...I believe they have the potential to medal for sure, but I don't believe that they will win it given the really strong field of other competitors this year...Would I be disappointed if they did win? Absolutely not! Their compression drill is actually a personal favorite of mine...Weber is a genius! ...I'm just curious as to what you mean by "Stranger things have happened." What and when?

For starters; 1988 Madison Scouts. :lookaround:/> A week before finals they were just barely beating the Velvet Knights. NO ONE saw it coming!

Edited by bmjfelts1988
  • Like 3

I will say this. It encourages me to know that the judges are giving this type of a theatrical show as much credit as they already are. Especially as dirty as it is at the moment, because it proves that you can be theatrical, melodic and accessible and still be competitively successful. Even if they don't win or medal, I hope others will look at what they were successful with and not be afraid to try good accessible shows with good music.

Edited by bmjfelts1988
  • Like 2