Waukee Walkabout

People on here are saying the Colts aren't doing a good job and there is no way they can be as close to Spirit, I beg to differ. I think a lot of the grumbling is name based and a lot are thinking, "No, way the Colts are getting those scores." THE COLTS, pssh.

The Spirit show is good don't get me wrong but their lack of color guard integration stands out. They are either in the front, back or side. This is causing visual problems for them. They are, for most of the show, doing their work in front of the corps, it's as if there are two different things going on, color guard and the corps each doing their own thing.

We'll see in the future but there is no denying the Colts are hitting it visually and I don't think this consistency in their visual scores is because the judges are all screwed up! If you look at the recaps they are rising and keeping up, it's not a coincidence nor is it random. I don't think they're bribing anyone for their visual scores. The fact is, the mind set is the Colts shouldn't be able to rise because the past few years they failed to rise consistently. You can't judge from the past what is happening right now. This corps has what it takes and a new staff that can take them quite possibly to finals, crossing my fingers. It's in the numbers, check out all of the recaps of their shows, it's there.

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom
  • Like 1

People on here are saying the Colts aren't doing a good job and there is no way they can be as close to Spirit, I beg to differ. I think a lot of the grumbling is name based and a lot are thinking, "No, way the Colts are getting those scores." THE COLTS, pssh.

The Spirit show is good don't get me wrong but their lack of using their color guard stands out. The color guard rarely integrates with the band. They are either in the front, back or side. This is causing visual problems for them. They are, for most of the show, doing their work in front of the band, it's as if there are two different things going on, color guard and the band each doing their own thing.

We will see in the future but there is no denying the Colts are hitting it visually and I don't think this consistency in their visual scores is because the judges are all screwed up! If you look at the recaps they are rising and keeping up and with whom ever they compete with, I don't think they're bribing anyone for they're visual scores. The fact is, the mind set is the Colts shouldn't be able to rise based because the past few years they failed to rise consistently. You can't judge from the past what is happening right now. This corps has what it takes and a new staff that can take them there, it's in the numbers, check out all of the recaps of their shows, it's there.

I think people are more focused on the fact that Colts had a 3.35 jump in one day.

Madison practically 3 points down from Vanguard after 3 days of practice and changes. Short seasons call for rapid improvement. Not the promising news I was hoping for leading into Minneapolis where you'll have everyone. Looks like below middle of the packville from where I’m sitting.

Well, if you consider Spirit's spread from Phantom the other night, and Spirit's spread from Scouts at this show, it puts Madison in dead competition with Phantom. I know, different shows and judges and all, but I bet they'll still be in close competition for 7th at least.

The Spirit show is good don't get me wrong but their lack of color guard integration stands out. They are either in the front, back or side. This is causing visual problems for them. They are, for most of the show, doing their work in front of the corps, it's as if there are two different things going on, color guard and the corps each doing their own thing.

We will see in the future but there is no denying the Colts are hitting it visually and I don't think this consistency in their visual scores is because the judges are all screwed up! If you look at the recaps they are rising and keeping up and with whom ever they compete with, I don't think they're bribing anyone for they're visual scores. The fact is, the mind set is the Colts shouldn't be able to rise because the past few years they failed to rise consistently. You can't judge from the past what is happening right now. This corps has what it takes and a new staff that can take them there, it's in the numbers, check out all of the recaps of their shows, it's there.

I have to disagree with you on the Spirit guard comments. I thinkg the color guard is quite integrated with the show and has some great work they are showcasing.

I agree with another poster that it isn't so much that the Colts are close to Spirit at this show as the surpise, it is that they jumped up by A LOT so quickly. Spirit did make a bunch of changes over the past week, not sure about the Colts. Tonights spread will be very telling I think.

Madison practically 3 points down from Vanguard after 3 days of practice and changes. Short seasons call for rapid improvement. Not the promising news I was hoping for leading into Minneapolis where you'll have everyone. Looks like below middle of the packville from where I’m sitting.

I'd be very surprised if Scouts didn't move up from the 9th place - 10th place slots they've been occupying over the past three years.

1.3 points of the gap between Madison and Santa Clara is drums. Well, SCV is likely to win percussion, so I guess I'm not surprised there. Other than that, Madison was within a point of Santa Clara in all the other captions. In particular, I was very surprised and pleased that Madison was only .3 from Santa Clara in Visual Proficiency and .4 away in Color Guard. With all the changes just implemented, I'm impressed.

I understand the other corps aren't standing still, but this is doable. Don't lose heart.

Edited by Jim Anello

I'd be very surprised if Scouts didn't move up from the 9th place - 10th place slots they've been occupying over the past three years.

1.3 points of the gap between Madison and Santa Clara is drums. Well, SCV is likely to win percussion, so I guess I'm not surprised there. Other than that, Madison was within a point of Santa Clara in all the other captions. In particular, I was very surprised and pleased that Madison was only .3 from Santa Clara in Visual Proficiency and .4 away in Color Guard. With all the changes just implemented, I'm impressed.

I understand the other corps aren't standing still, but this is doable. Don't lose heart.

Not losing heart Jim...I’m simply relying on history and the realities of the activity today. Everyone is making changes, and for the top corps, these changes are planned and very strategic...mostly laid out very early in the summer. Not saying it isn’t possible to move up, but one can easily prove that in this day and age of the activity where you have to come out so strong along with the shortened length of season and apparent pressures of slotting, it's very difficult to take large steps up on the placement ladder. And if so, you'd be better be presenting something that's an absolute game-changer. I for one would be thoroughly stunned to see Madison break into the top 6. I'm thinking more likely better than 10th, but from what I've seen and heard so far, it seems that for now, the Men of Madison haven’t been given the level of show to take things to the rarefied air of the upper echelon (top 6). Right now, I'm seeing more like 9-7...I'm open to being surprised and very wrong though!

Not a bad crowd at this one last night

uH27WZv.jpg

• Like 2