Phantom Regiment 2013- too much of a good thing?

This year's show isn't that bad, it's flow sucks just now but so did 2011 & 2012 at this stage of the season. Brass need to up their game a little, drums are better than last year and visually they look fantastic.

I agree with regard to show themes, it's time to move on.

There isn't another Spartacus out there... stop looking for it!!!

• Like 2

As far as the "stories" go last years was "prepackaged" ... they picked an opera that is easy to get and just did it.

Yes it fit the love story/death theme that has become their "go to" show and they could just as easily picked another opera again.

This year they have choosen a new direction, if you think about it ... it is a story of empowerment and growth ... I feel like it is more like 2010 in that respect.

Take a look at 2008 and 2012 shows at this point, they were sorta' flat too ... they haven't put the icing on the cake yet.

• Like 1

They stuck their necks out and did the Faust show and it still was very Phantom and really awesome.

I love the Faust show. It's a great show.

As far as the "stories" go last years was "prepackaged" ... they picked an opera that is easy to get and just did it.

Yes it fit the love story/death theme that has become their "go to" show and they could just as easily picked another opera again.

This year they have choosen a new direction, if you think about it ... it is a story of empowerment and growth ... I feel like it is more like 2010 in that respect.

Take a look at 2008 and 2012 shows at this point, they were sorta' flat too ... they haven't put the icing on the cake yet.

Thee cake has got to have the right ingredients before it gets iced. And it's getting late to fix the disjointedness (is that a word) of the show. Still sounds like a bunch of stuff stuck together.

I heard from a kid's parent that there's more music, drill and story line yet to come. I surely hope so. I would love to see them resurrect the show.

Yeah, I know, 5th place is not in need of a resurrection, but I want them to be in medal contention. So to me it is.

Edited by srb30a
  • Like 1

I really hope we all look foolish in a few weeks.

Indeed!

The love and death thing is natural, because they are thinking of themselves as something like a night at the opera. They've had this kind of show for a long time, and I actually think it will continue to work for them. Most shows of that type will be telling huge dramatic stories, so love and death themes are likely to be common.

The issue is how well the show is designed. Into the Light was very well designed; it just flowed. Juliet also conveyed the drama effectively, with no really cheesy moves (unless you count Juliet's death, but I thought that was ok)

Turandot is much harder to do because it's a rather silly story (psychopathic serial killer queen is softened by narcissistic prince - yay, a happy ending); the composer died and the end was added (I think badly) by somebody else. The music is wonderful, but the visual story elements have to be just window dressing, because it's hard to conjure up any real passion for either of the protagonists. In other words, the music is passionate, but the story isn't.

My point is that they can and probably will continue the love and death themes, and it will be fine if the staff can create effective shows with it. You've pointed out that some key staff have left. If they are less effective now, that's probably the reason.

Comments on DCP never look foolish.

;lol

• Like 1

The love and death thing is natural, because they are thinking of themselves as something like a night at the opera. They've had this kind of show for a long time, and I actually think it will continue to work for them. Most shows of that type will be telling huge dramatic stories, so love and death themes are likely to be common.

The issue is how well the show is designed. Into the Light was very well designed; it just flowed. Juliet also conveyed the drama effectively, with no really cheesy moves (unless you count Juliet's death, but I thought that was ok)

Turandot is much harder to do because it's a rather silly story (psychopathic serial killer queen is softened by narcissistic prince - yay, a happy ending); the composer died and the end was added (I think badly) by somebody else. The music is wonderful, but the visual story elements have to be just window dressing, because it's hard to conjure up any real passion for either of the protagonists. In other words, the music is passionate, but the story isn't.

My point is that they can and probably will continue the love and death themes, and it will be fine if the staff can create effective shows with it. You've pointed out that some key staff have left. If they are less effective now, that's probably the reason.

Man oh man do I disagree. Juliet was pure 100% cheese. Especially that awful love story movie theme. I can't even think of the name of it, it's so bad!

• Like 2