Drum Corps De-Evolution Week 1981-late 1940s

See next reply....

Edited by Contra Doug

To Big W...

Thank you very much for your comments about the Selden Cadets and their playing of the Lords Prayer. About half of our corps are Sunriser Alumni. That song was chosen by our horn instructor the late Frank Buscemi who past way last November. We really enjoy playing it because it really represents what many of us feel is a "REAL DRUM CORPS PIECE OF MUSIC". Our objective is to go out and perform while having fun. The music we play is a mixture of Old and New. We also try to play some songs we feel would sound good when played and written well and most of all, please the the crowd. To us that's what it is all about. To play music that the crowd would recognize and most of all enjoy. No trophy can replace or top that feeling. That doesn't seem to be anyones objective anymore. The format that Andy Lisko laid out was just how it was and on the money. I realize change is inevitable, but some of us can do our best to make it happen slowly....

Edited by Contra Doug

If you go back in the history of the Sunrisers you'll see they came out in 63 with an all french theme from berets on the corps brass line to the Fluer De les on the flags .Also a Fluer De Les on the corps logo a Sunburst with a Fluer De Les in the center ,Music that year Mademoinselle De Paree, Debussys Clare De Lune ,De File The corps traveled up to Quebec that winter to complete indoors at Winter Canvial which they won over all the candian corps completing there .I think the french theme and music pushed us in to 1st.place The crowds up there where wild over the corps.

Edited by Florida Sun
  • Like 1

To Big W,

I too want to add my thanks to Doug DeSio's reply regarding the Selden Cadets playing of "The Lord's Prayer". This Sasso arrangement (that at our request was brought back for us by John Arietano) is a particular favorite of the corps and they take great pleasure in playing it because it is a direct connection to "old school" drum corps music. Just as Doug said, we play an eclectic assortment of music all of which is arranged for us by John "Screech" Arietano.

We take great pleasure in playing everything from "old school drum corps", pops, classical, jazz and Broadway.....and just as Doug said...the audience appreciation is all the tribute that we need.

We are glad that the alumni activity has allowed us to continue to do what we love to do. :thumbup:

• Like 1

To Big W,

I too want to add my thanks to Doug DeSio's reply regarding the Selden Cadets playing of "The Lord's Prayer". This Sasso arrangement (that at our request was brought back for us by John Arietano) is a particular favorite of the corps and they take great pleasure in playing it because it is a direct connection to "old school" drum corps music. Just as Doug said, we play an eclectic assortment of music all of which is arranged for us by John "Screech" Arietano.

We take great pleasure in playing everything from "old school drum corps", pops, classical, jazz and Broadway.....and just as Doug said...the audience appreciation is all the tribute that we need.

We are glad that the alumni activity has allowed us to continue to do what we love to do. :thumbup:

You Long Island guys can play a bit, for sure! :thumbup:

Thanks- but you guys make a very well-crafted and lovely arrangement come alive again. There are some of us who do listen and appreciate that kind of thing.

Heck, just hearing people get all excited about us doing Winnetka when we do our 12 minutes a year really shocks me. The fun of Alumni corps is the challenge of still playing as well as possible and making people happy.

Lemme think of my short list of othere stuff I've heard from various Alumni corps that's on my short list besides the "Lord's Prayer"...

"Mission Impossible" by The Brassmen

"Old Man River" and "Men of Harlech" by the Hanover Lancers

From this years Cabs, "Jazzmerelda"

Scout House's "Waltzing Matilda"

Bridgemen Alumni's "Soulero"

The Bucs Alumni's "An Affair to Remember"

Some good stuff there. :satisfied: