Cadets 2013 - A Requiem for DCI...

I can agree with Guardling. I marched two years in Open Class, and the empty stadiums sucked. That's why I always make sure I'm at shows from the National Anthem through the encore. I know what it's like for the small corps, so we all need to make sure we're supporting those groups. The lot isn't that interesting, watching kids perform and give their heart and soul is.

I agree and I love to see a good open class corps or three at a show. Yet it seems like Open Class has been segregated into a separate tour for the most part.

My guess is that the OP has a useless English degree that he wanted to put to good use. On a side note, can someone inform me about what this G7 is that I keep hearing about?

BD, SCV, Cadets, Cavies, Crown, Bluecoats, Phantom. They proposed major changes to DCI back in 2010 including creating a separate class for themselves, gutting DCI's staff, paying other corps less money, and giving more kickback money to the G7 and outsourcing operations to the G7's auxiliary businesses (eg crown tickets, bd mediabox, etc). Also, forbidding other corps from performing on weekend except for regionals and reserving Friday and Sunday nights for G7-only shows. (This last has been implemented as the TOC series since 2011.)

The rest of DCI said no and the G7 directors who were on DCI's board resigned in a huff. In 2012 the G7 formed a corporation, Music in Motion, that would serve as a replacement for DCI just in case the G7 decided to leave.

In January 2013 a letter was sent to the board proposing a voting system that would give the G7 complete control of the board (by making only the top 12 corps votes, of which they would have a majority) and not-so-subtly threatening to abandon DCI if they weren't given control. As a "compromise" the board (a mix of corps directors and outside parties) was disbanded and reconstructed as half G7 directors and half non-G7. Additionally the TOC continues but without the token eighth member this year.

• Like 2

The lot isn't that interesting, watching kids perform and give their heart and soul is.

deleted, was in a bad mood.

To change the tone - the lot may not be that interesting to you, but to some people it is very interesting. What is interesting and entertaining is personal, not something someone else can tell you.

Edited by frachel

If this is what you came away with from Cadets' show, I'd hate to see your tea-leaf reading of Blue Devils.

Yes, especially when he analyses the BD G7 connection in the Rite of Spring sequence where Stravinsky has the maiden moving with such anger and furiousness that in the end she dances herself to death.

Yikes.

Edited by BRASSO

BD, SCV, Cadets, Cavies, Crown, Bluecoats, Phantom. They proposed major changes to DCI back in 2010 including creating a separate class for themselves, gutting DCI's staff, paying other corps less money, and giving more kickback money to the G7 and outsourcing operations to the G7's auxiliary businesses (eg crown tickets, bd mediabox, etc). Also, forbidding other corps from performing on weekend except for regionals and reserving Friday and Sunday nights for G7-only shows. (This last has been implemented as the TOC series since 2011.)

The rest of DCI said no and the G7 directors who were on DCI's board resigned in a huff. In 2012 the G7 formed a corporation, Music in Motion, that would serve as a replacement for DCI just in case the G7 decided to leave.

In January 2013 a letter was sent to the board proposing a voting system that would give the G7 complete control of the board (by making only the top 12 corps votes, of which they would have a majority) and not-so-subtly threatening to abandon DCI if they weren't given control. As a "compromise" the board (a mix of corps directors and outside parties) was disbanded and reconstructed as half G7 directors and half non-G7. Additionally the TOC continues but without the token eighth member this year.

Wow that's terrible. I didn't know there were such dark politics going on in the DCI world. I'm glad the G7 didn't get their way. I think the whole TOC thing is pretty stupid considering that it limits the days non G7 corps can compete.

• Like 1

Wow that's terrible. I didn't know there were such dark politics going on in the DCI world. I'm glad the G7 didn't get their way. I think the whole TOC thing is pretty stupid considering that it limits the days non G7 corps can compete.

Well luckily blocking the other corps from Friday and Sunday shows didn't get approved. There have been a few cross-scheduled shows for the non-G7. But that was part of the original proposal.

Memo to self:

Never, ever take any financial, lifestyle, or career advice from the OP. :ph34r:

• Like 1

So is there still controversy? (Are the G7 still trying to go after something? or is everything settled?)

Honestly, Cadets could march in diapers and juggle live rats and you could concoct some kind of "statement" about the G7 from it.

I'm interested in the NeoCervantes take on the Cavaliers G7 " Secret Society ". Allegedly, the uncoverd G7 ritual involved G7 Corps Directors voluntarily drinking Jagermeister in secret out of the carved out oval skulls of dead Bison as a loyalty pact among themselves.

Oh we're just getting started with our vivid and keen imagination here ( lol! )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1