Cadets 2013 - A Requiem for DCI...

You've got it all wrong.

This show is clearly about the day-to-day struggles of Good Hop vs. Bad Hop. We've seen them both and it's not pretty. When he's good he's oh-so-good: Neat, Cool, happy, supportive, excited Hop, the Hop who gives us inspiring innovations on the field like the "Z pull," the Hop we love. But when the Bad Hop comes out he's oh-so-bad: Excoriating an entire region of the USA, angrily hash-marking football fields and holding up shows, ranting about how the show isn't getting the rewards it deserves, stubbornly persisting with ill-advised narrations when all around him are begging him not to...

2013 Cadets is about the Director Himself and his constant never-ending internal struggles against himself. It's a fascinating self-exploration. Who will win? How? When?

Youse two guys are making my day - this explanation also fits!

BTW - my wife the teacher loved GH pacing the sidelines as in her opinion " he was supporting his students!"

frankiE

Interesting, been reading about this G7 stuff, which I really haven't followed, but after catching up I have a few thoughts.

First, I don't think they can split off, too big a risk and not enough reward...if it floundered then what, come crawling back? But let's say they did...now the top corps are BK, Spirit, etc, they all move up...which for them still being associated with the power of DCI could really help them, MOTM wouldn't have the name recognition, etc, and it would miff off a lot of people at their perceived act of arrogance, support would dwindle slowly after a few years, their talent level MM would come back to DCI, and when the 7 came back they are now middle tier level battling a perception problem as being those guys that tried to ruin DCI and they would have a hard time recovering. Now we have a different set of corps medaling and the 7 are not quiet the same.

All speculation on my part, but I wouldn't mind seeing some shake up like this happen...when the woods are overgrown you sometimes need to burn it, perhaps this would be the shake up needed....?

• Like 1

Madison's show is filled with this kind of stuff! Glassmen and Teal Sound are represented by the guard members who "die" on the field. The helicopters represent the TOC shows, lifting the G7 up to financial solvency while the rest of the corps struggle to survive on the ground, while trying to dodge the blades that threaten to chop up relationships with show sponsors and housing sites. The overuse of synth bass represents the overuse of synth bass. :thumbup:

G7 probably morphs into something abit different than DCI, perhaps more of a blast with the summer program working with DCI side x side.

that's so deep DCI designers and GE judges are reading this going "what the ####?"

The level those clowns operate, I'm sure it makes perfect sense.

I'm having trouble deciding whether this is tongue-in-cheek or a serious deconstruction. Are you for real?

Peace,

Fred O.

At the risk of sounding even crazier, yes, this is where I was legitamitely at yesterday morning. I do have a tendency to overprogram on meaning, so I will grant that I may be overanalyzing.

When the Cadets show announcement first came out and then changed, I DO remember thinking that it had something to do with the then very prominent insistance by the G7 (which is pretty much led by George Hopkins and to a lesser extent David Gibbs) that he DCI Board be made up of the top 12 only, giving them de-facto control.

I will also admit that ever since reading the initial full G7 report I have had a pretty bad taste in my mouth regarding George Hopkins. If he was willing to stand up in front of his brother corps directors and "present" everything that was in that report, I'm not sure I would put anything past him. But if you haven't read it, you can click the link and judge for yourself.

1375028775[/url]' post='3295699']

At the risk of sounding even crazier, yes, this is where I was legitamitely at yesterday morning. I do have a tendency to overprogram on meaning, so I will grant that I may be overanalyzing.

When the Cadets show announcement first came out and then changed, I DO remember thinking that it had something to do with the then very prominent insistance by the G7 (which is pretty much led by George Hopkins and to a lesser extent David Gibbs) that he DCI Board be made up of the top 12 only, giving them de-facto control.

I will also admit that ever since reading the initial full G7 report I have had a pretty bad taste in my mouth regarding George Hopkins. If he was willing to stand up in front of his brother corps directors and "present" everything that was in that report, I'm not sure I would put anything past him. But if you haven't read it, you can click the link and judge for yourself.

Complicated issue. Can't say I agree more or disagree more, but I will say that to my knowledge no one has offered their ideas and pulled together others to try and affect change, so, he is the target to that is easy to see. He threw his idea out there, if other corps don't like it, they should put forth their idea.

Buy low and sell high. :tongue:

Interesting, been reading about this G7 stuff, which I really haven't followed, but after catching up I have a few thoughts.

First, I don't think they can split off, too big a risk and not enough reward...if it floundered then what, come crawling back? But let's say they did...now the top corps are BK, Spirit, etc, they all move up...which for them still being associated with the power of DCI could really help them, MOTM wouldn't have the name recognition, etc, and it would miff off a lot of people at their perceived act of arrogance, support would dwindle slowly after a few years, their talent level MM would come back to DCI, and when the 7 came back they are now middle tier level battling a perception problem as being those guys that tried to ruin DCI and they would have a hard time recovering. Now we have a different set of corps medaling and the 7 are not quiet the same.

All speculation on my part, but I wouldn't mind seeing some shake up like this happen...when the woods are overgrown you sometimes need to burn it, perhaps this would be the shake up needed....?

As many of us said at the time, the whole G7-thing will finally filter out to the masses. One at a time, slowly but surely.

While I appreciate burning the forest once in a while, the fire already occurred in 2010 and the forest management brought in new trees. In 2012, the Seven tried to change to a different tree, but the forest managers said no and have continued to plant.

The Seven are now trying to decide if the soil is rich enough for them to grow their trees in DCI's forest. There's a chance that they may clear land elsewhere and plant their own trees.

Fully grown trees don't transplant well. They're big, require heavy equipment to move, and a large majority of them die.

Properly nourished saplings grow over time to be big, strong trees even as the big transplanted ones fail to take root and fall over.