To march baritone or euphonium?

To clear this up, I have the most recent audition packet for the Bluecoats (2013 season) because I myself will be auditioning in November for euph spot. It says in the packet that the staff has the right to assign what you play. So I'm assuming that means that even if you audition on baritone, if they feel you'd be better on a euph, they'll put you on a euph.

• Like 1

Did this person move on to Magicc or am I thinking of someone else?

No, not at all. I can't say anything else about this person.

Don Taylor was Crown's brass caption head for 6 seasons before moving to Magic. He would never do anything like this. Like I said, I've said too much, and I still am saying too much. This was NOT about Don Taylor at all. Don teaches actual brass technique and is a very compassionate instructor who is always aware of the physical demands his lines are dealing with.

The weight won't be an issue. Everybody will be hurting during the camps. The vets won't be used to the weight either. You'd be surprised how a couple months off can reset your muscles when you're not using them like that every day.

I own a few baritones and euphoniums. One of them is a Yamaha Bb baritone (which Bluecoats uses) and others are G baris and euphs. Some 3 valve, some 2 valve. The Bb Yamaha is a lot lighter than my 3 valve G baritones. While I don't currently own a Bb euph, I'm betting the weight is on par with the 3 valve G baritones. When I marched we had some very scrawny people marching these 3 valve baris. Guys and girls. None of them had any issues marching them.

Don't be afraid of the weight.

If you can get your hands on a horn, start holding it up. Otherwise, use some kind of weight and watch shows or something. Heck, march with it if you want. Not a bari/euph but I've heard of other people doing stuff like this to get ready. Not much else I know to recommend.

The Hammond mouthpieces are not cheap though. I know because I have a couple of them for trombone and euphonium playing. I believe that Bluecoats has some sort of deal with Hammond, where every player in the line gets one during the winter, so that they have everyone on the same mouthpiece. Baris are probably on an 11 or 12XL, and lower euphs may be on up to an 18XL, but I'm not sure. You're fine practicing on a Shilke right now, the staff won't cut you because you don't have the right mouthpiece. Unless you show up with a plastic one, then they should cut you on principle.

The weight won't be an issue. Everybody will be hurting during the camps. The vets won't be used to the weight either. You'd be surprised how a couple months off can reset your muscles when you're not using them like that every day.

I own a few baritones and euphoniums. One of them is a Yamaha Bb baritone (which Bluecoats uses) and others are G baris and euphs. Some 3 valve, some 2 valve. The Bb Yamaha is a lot lighter than my 3 valve G baritones. While I don't currently own a Bb euph, I'm betting the weight is on par with the 3 valve G baritones. When I marched we had some very scrawny people marching these 3 valve baris. Guys and girls. None of them had any issues marching them.

Don't be afraid of the weight.

The Yamaha bari I think is around 6 pounds, and the euph is 8 or so. Not too bad, but it will take time to get used to. It's lighter than the other ones out on the market

• Like 2

To clear this up, I have the most recent audition packet for the Bluecoats (2013 season) because I myself will be auditioning in November for euph spot. It says in the packet that the staff has the right to assign what you play. So I'm assuming that means that even if you audition on baritone, if they feel you'd be better on a euph, they'll put you on a euph.

Nice! That's good to know! This has eased my stress a ton. Thanks so much and maybe I will see you there. If I don't, good luck to you!!

The Yamaha bari I think is around 6 pounds, and the euph is 8 or so. Not too bad, but it will take time to get used to. It's lighter than the other ones out on the market

yea 6 isn't bad at all. I guess I'm nervous about the weight issue because I was holding my school's dynasty baritone up and playing through my high school show and I had to put it down at least three times and that was only an 8 minute show. I believe that the dynastys weigh about 8-9lbs though

yea 6 isn't bad at all. I guess I'm nervous about the weight issue because I was holding my school's dynasty baritone up and playing through my high school show and I had to put it down at least three times and that was only an 8 minute show. I believe that the dynastys weigh about 8-9lbs though

Yes, the Dynasty horns are heavier, but also are not as ergonomically designed or as tightly wrapped, so the weight isn't as nicely balances as the Yamaha. You can pretty much balance the Yamaha horn on the top of your left hand, a quality only really matched by the Jupiter Quantum horns. Those things are beautifully balanced. You'll also notice when you start playing it that the Yamaha is a more open instrument, so it doesn't take as much pressure to get the sound out.

• Like 1