To march baritone or euphonium?

Yes, the Dynasty horns are heavier, but also are not as ergonomically designed or as tightly wrapped, so the weight isn't as nicely balances as the Yamaha. You can pretty much balance the Yamaha horn on the top of your left hand, a quality only really matched by the Jupiter Quantum horns. Those things are beautifully balanced. You'll also notice when you start playing it that the Yamaha is a more open instrument, so it doesn't take as much pressure to get the sound out.

this is also good to know. Thanks for the help. Do you know if being able to use the corps horns at the audition is like a first come first serve thing or what? How does that work exactly??

this is also good to know. Thanks for the help. Do you know if being able to use the corps horns at the audition is like a first come first serve thing or what? How does that work exactly??

IF you can bring your own horn or school horn, bring it with you. If you're flying or something, corps have their own set of horns for people. Although if you're a trombone player, and have prepared your audition material on that, then most corps would much rather have you do your music audition on that instead of trying to figure it out on a marching horn. Just do whatever is most comfortable

IF you can bring your own horn or school horn, bring it with you. If you're flying or something, corps have their own set of horns for people. Although if you're a trombone player, and have prepared your audition material on that, then most corps would much rather have you do your music audition on that instead of trying to figure it out on a marching horn. Just do whatever is most comfortable

Oh I'm comfortable on baritone/euphonium. Thanks!

The Yamaha bari I think is around 6 pounds, and the euph is 8 or so. Not too bad, but it will take time to get used to. It's lighter than the other ones out on the market

So I was correct. My Dynasty 3 valve G bari is 8 lbs. My Dynasty 3 valve euph and Kanstul euph are both 10 lbs.

OP: be glad you're not going to be marching a G euph.

Left to right: Kanstul G euph, Dynasty G euph, Dynasty G baritone, Yamaha Bb baritone

bHZRVlj.jpg

• Like 1

Nice! That's good to know! This has eased my stress a ton. Thanks so much and maybe I will see you there. If I don't, good luck to you!!

Glad I could help. Maybe we will! I'll also add this. I went to Blueway this year (I guess it's like Bluecoats equivalent to System Blue) and met the majority of the brass staff. They're all super nice people who made the experience enjoyable and a learning one. I got the same feedback about them from the members I talked to.

So I was correct. My Dynasty 3 valve G bari is 8 lbs. My Dynasty 3 valve euph and Kanstul euph are both 10 lbs.

Left to right: Kanstul G euph, Dynasty G euph, Dynasty G baritone, Yamaha Bb baritone

Nice spread of horns there! I've been browsing eBay to pick up a cheap 2 or 3 valve G horn, just to mess around with. I've always heard that the old King 2 valve G euphs were massively heavy and awkward, but I've never messed around with them. I only know the weight stats on the Yamaha horns, I'm sure that all companies have different weights for their horns. I think the King euphs are close to 10 or 11 pounds, not to mention being horribly unbalanced.

• Like 1

Glad I could help. Maybe we will! I'll also add this. I went to Blueway this year (I guess it's like Bluecoats equivalent to System Blue) and met the majority of the brass staff. They're all super nice people who made the experience enjoyable and a learning one. I got the same feedback about them from the members I talked to.

nice! I can't wait to audition!

bHZRVlj.jpg

Thank God they march Bb horns and not G horns!! There is a big difference in the dynasty baritone and the Yamaha baritone!!

I was short, fat, lazy, and had little to no upper body strength when I auditioned for an all euph corps. You will be fine. Camps suck, but they're only 2 days, how bad can that really be? You'll hate yourself for the majority of spring training. You'll roll your eyes and possibly lash out violently when a mellophone whines about how heavy their horn is, but in August you'll be able to say "I did that" and that's a pretty ###### feeling. It's a really gratifying thing. And we all have stories of when so and so got mad and made us hold our horns up for 42 minutes...fortunately I was on baritone that year tongue.gif