Judging bias

I TOTALLY agree with you on that, and I've always thought it was kind of odd how DCI seems non-responsive publicly when it comes to design explanations (as far as some of the more subtle stuff designers program into their show), and adjudicating. The best thing DCI ever did media-wise was (besides going to high-def/Blu-ray) when they had judge tapes and design commentaries on the DVD's. This was such a wonderful look deeper inside the "process" of design + ranking/rating. DCI stopped that because it took up too much room on the DVD's, but I really think that's the type of stuff that would work well with videos like you say, or Fan Network mp3 streams, or even individual corps could offer stuff like that. I kind of think that the REAL untapped potential of DCI is that the focus seems to be design show, compete, repeat annually. There's not a lot of public offering to be had from mid-August to May, and while some corps do a better job than others delivering content many do next to nothing. I know resources are spread thin, but I think a LOT of animosity could be quelled if more people had a better understanding of the corps side ("here's why we designed this") and the adjudicator's side ("here's why this is getting rewarded on the sheets").

It would be really good for the sport in general. It was claimed on a thread once that corps don't want the judges' actual taped comments to be made public. At least not without warning/permission, as was allegedly done.

Still, even if you can't publish the actual judges tapes, having some kind of conversation between judges and designers (or even just multiple judges) would be great. Imagine a post-Finals event added to Fan Network. Each Finals performance is shown, but with commentary by three judges with multiple-caption experience. And yet another "event" on FN with commentary by that corps' director and lead staff. Either and both of these ideas would add value to FN and improve the sport for everyone involved, I think.

• Like 2

I TOTALLY agree with you on that, and I've always thought it was kind of odd how DCI seems non-responsive publicly when it comes to design explanations (as far as some of the more subtle stuff designers program into their show), and adjudicating. The best thing DCI ever did media-wise was (besides going to high-def/Blu-ray) when they had judge tapes and design commentaries on the DVD's. This was such a wonderful look deeper inside the "process" of design + ranking/rating. DCI stopped that because it took up too much room on the DVD's, but I really think that's the type of stuff that would work well with videos like you say, or Fan Network mp3 streams, or even individual corps could offer stuff like that. I kind of think that the REAL untapped potential of DCI is that the focus seems to be design show, compete, repeat annually. There's not a lot of public offering to be had from mid-August to May, and while some corps do a better job than others delivering content many do next to nothing. I know resources are spread thin, but I think a LOT of animosity could be quelled if more people had a better understanding of the corps side ("here's why we designed this") and the adjudicator's side ("here's why this is getting rewarded on the sheets").

I think at times, the design commentary hurt more than helped. I remember a few years ago, i think it was Bluecoats with the 09 show, people on here had fun for weeks with the faux intelligencia discussed.

Now the judges tapoes stuff was cool. I am thinking like the stuff WGI does with the educational videos. The stuff Caleb and Mark did last year on the WGi site was incredible......detailed, yet simple to follow. Judging those sheets and philosophy for a few years and I still gained a ton of insight with their offerings. That's what DCI should be doing.

• Like 2

It irks me that the staff's efforts are 3/4ths of a corps' score.

It should be only about the performance of the kids.

Every sheet is split 50/50 between the the show and the performance. Not sure where the 75/25 is coming from.

• Like 1

Every sheet is split 50/50 between the the show and the performance. Not sure where the 75/25 is coming from.

Should the design and arranging work of paid adults - having their work judged by other adults who are often the designers' friends, co-workers, and in some cases, ex-lovers - really count as 50% of the scoring in a youth competition activity?

• Like 1

Well, about 20% of the performance is being run through amps controlled by the staff, and at least 80% of the sound that comes out of the synths was pre-designed either by the staff or outside professionals. So, I'd say it's at least 65/35. :tongue:

Should the design and arranging work of paid adults - having their work judged by other adults who are often the designers' friends, co-workers, and in some cases, ex-lovers - really count as 50% of the scoring in a youth competition activity?

BD keeps winning because a spurned ex-lover of George Hopkins - a southern belle at that - has manipulated the judging community to seek revenge on the man who broke her heart.

It all fits. Call the president.

• Like 1

However, the performance is evaluated relative to the content (i.e., how well the corps executed what the staff gave them to do), resulting in a performance score that is half execution, half content. Since the content side of the sheet is just that, and the performance side of the sheet is also half content, a corps' score is 75% an evaluation of the staff.

Another judging question: What is the purpose of the performance? As in, what does DCI want the performance to accomplish?...what result of the performance does it want the judging to ultimately reward?

(I've heard it said that BD is programming to the judge's sheets. OK. So, what kind of programming does DCI want the judges sheets to reward?)

Edited by candl

However, the performance is evaluated relative to the content (i.e., how well the corps executed what the staff gave them to do), resulting in a performance score that is half execution, half content. Since the content side of the sheet is just that, and the performance side of the sheet is also half content, a corps' score is 75% an evaluation of the staff.

If this were a sport, then whether it is the performer or the designer would actually matter. But, ...

DRUM CORPS IS NOT A SPORT!

Give me art! Yes, the kids gotta perform it, but I want professionals to design it, thank you.