We Are What We Are

It's like getting ###### when someone calls your Corvette a 'car.'

It's still a car... it's just a specialized kind of car called a Corvette.

I agree with Stu... pretty nice article. The picture at the top also clearly says "drum corps members."

I mean, you can get angry if you want. But keep in mind, the (arguably) best group in the activity is hashtagging themselves and selling t-shirts that say #PurplePantsBand... so, just fueling the confusion basically.

Here is my point: The quicker we accept that it has been, is, and always will be 'others' who define us, even as individuals, the quicker we can just move on to the important issues. A person is defined as a 'jock' by others, defined as a 'geek' by others; no matter how I want to see or define myself I cannot; I am defined by what others see and hear; and that is, or should be, fine. In fact it is those who not only accept that as fact, but cash in on it (i.e. The Geek Squad at Best Buy) who really 'get it'.

One of the most poorly-written articles on any subject I've ever read.

No background. No depth. No discussion of the people or groups involved.

Mis-naming the activity is just the salty icing on a bitter cake.

Yuck.

Do you really expect an in depth, scholarly-type article from a small(ish) town newspaper about drum corps?! This is just a fluff piece: something to fill space/get page hits.

Sure, it would be nice to see an in depth article article on our activity, but this article is perfectly fine for the uninformed who are more familiar with the Longhorn Marching Bad than drum corps.

Do you really expect an in depth, scholarly-type article from a small(ish) town newspaper about drum corps?! This is just a fluff piece: something to fill space/get page hits.

Sure, it would be nice to see an in depth article article on our activity, but this article is perfectly fine for the uninformed who are more familiar with the Longhorn Marching Bad than drum corps.

You are saying that the people, and the writers for the paper, in this small(ish) town are uninformed about the music industry? Really? Are you aware of the significance Denton, TX has as it applies to the world, and I mean entire world, of music?

Ha, the quote that stood out for me was this:

“We haven’t gotten to see Denton at all. We just get to see different bugs and grass,” Perez said with a laugh.

Well she DID see Denton then. LOL Sounds about right from my 4 years there. Except she didn't mention the wind - that wind straight from Canada that would knock you over when you came around the corner of a building on campus.

You are saying that the people, and the writers for the paper, in this small(ish) town are uninformed about the music industry? Really? Are you aware of the significance Denton, TX has as it applies to the world, and I mean entire world, of music?

No, I'm mostly saying that in context of the music industry drum and bugle corps is a small piece of a small piece, and an article about about the local traveling band show is not exactly front page music industry news; it's not like the story is about the One O'Clock Lab Band

It stopped being drum corps when we started calling them tubas, and trumpets.

Point made, but more precisely...

It stopped being drum corps when we started PLAYING tubas and trumpets. I think the last year of all bugles in drum corps was 1999.

No, I'm mostly saying that in context of the music industry drum and bugle corps is a small piece of a small piece, and an article about about the local traveling band show is not exactly front page music industry news; it's not like the story is about the One O'Clock Lab Band

And what I am saying is that since the marching activity, in context as you point out, is a small piece of a small piece of the music industry (in which Denton and the University of North Texas are well known entities within that music industry) we need to get over ourselves and just accept that we are what we are as defined by those seeing us from the outside: we are a marching 'band' activity.