The Academy

As far as I can tell, no one ever started a discussion thread for this year's Academy show, so here it is.

Not having previously watched any video of the show, I finally saw it on Wednesday at Erie.

First question: in the closer, Billy Joel's "Piano Man", are we supposed to keep singing after the corps starts playing again? It doesn't feel like it, but the emcee character periodically turns again to the audience and waves his arms as if conducting us.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Edited by N.E. Brigand

You know, I really like the idea behind this show - I even like the announcer at the beginning (makes alot of sense if you've seen the movie Cabaret - some of his lines are exactly the same) - what I don't get is why they called it Piano Man and stuck that last song in there (complete with the sing along) - the 1930's Bob Fosse Cabaret theme could have been a great one had they pushed it more and made it a bit darker as the show progressed.

But overall, if with the major design flaws this year, I really do enjoy this show!

Mike

Of course, if you've seen Joel Grey as the emcee in the 1972 film of Cabaret, or had the chance to see him perform it onstage before that (I had the good fortune to be in attendance at a benefit dinner last year where he was a guest, and in the course of helping to sell an auction item, he sang a few bars of "Wilkommen", still spry and charming at age 81), or even saw Alan Cumming in the 1990s revival, then you have certain expectations of someone in what is more or less that role.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I bet the Academy design staff is calling mulligan on this one....

Amen. I honestly don't get it. I don't know why it is called Piano man at all. Pretty disappointing after I thought they were on the cusp of making finals.

They have a great staff, just a crappy show so I hope they rebound next year.

The show design is kind of a dud, no doubt about that. But I have to give them credit for at least trying to engage the crowd and draw them in. If they can find a way to make that work and perform like 2011 or 2012, they'll go places. They're performing the heck out of it, but it's just not a solid design unfortunately.

Great drumline though! :thumbup: