Does percussion affect Music Effect and Music Analysis scores?

For reference, the content of these two captions on the sheets. I've grouped the two content and the two achievement subcaptions together for purposes of comparison.

Music Analysis - Composition

• Are the elements inherent in the muslcal composition/arrangement at the highest levels of design?

• To what extent does the orchestration/musical structure lend itself to expressive motivation?

• What expressive components create depth and breadth of design?

• What authentic, innovative, and appropriate devices and structures are used in the musical design?

• What is the range of musical challenges?

• How do each of these factors, collectively and individually, compare to each and all the other units in the competition?

Music Percussion - Content

• What is the breadth and depth of individual and shared responsibilities related to the musical vocabulary?

• What is the depth and range of technical and musical skills?

• To what degree do the performers demonstrate simultaneous or layered responsibilities of playing an instrument, moving in and through forms, listening and responding to others, and manipulating body position?

• What is the range of musical, physical, and environmental challenges?

• In what way do each of these factors, collectively and individually, comapre to each and all other units in competition?

Music Analysis - Achievement

• How consistently does the music ensemble present the design elements throughout the performance?

• How consistently does the unit exhibit succesful ensemble sonority and intonation?

• How consistently does the ensemble demonstrate clarity and uniformity of style and interpretation?

• How consistently does the ensemble demonstrate balance and blend?

• How precise is the ensemble in vertical alignment? How well are challenges achieved with precision? How well do performers demonstrate the ability to recover?

• How succesful are the performers in achieving the range of musical, physical, and environmental challenges?

In all these regards, how do these performers compare to other performers in the competition?

Music Percussion - Achievement

• Do the performers consistently demonstrate clarity of rhythmic articulations?

• Is appropriate balance and blend demonstrated?

• Do the performers consistently demonstrate expressive qualities and musicianship?

• Is clarity and uniformity of style, interpretation, and articulation consistently demonstrated?

• Considering all challenges, do the performers demonstrate musicality, precision, and accuracy?

In all these regards, how do these performers compare to other performers in the competition?

Really? Cadets battery book isn't musical? This is the most musical and appropriate book I've seen out of the Cadets in the last 15 years.

I didn't say it was unmusical. I think I said it didn't fit the music in places. In other words, sometimes. On the whole, it's great, but there are parts of it where, in my opinion, it doesn't fit. I don't remember the exact moment, but there's a moment during a long brass note and it's just howmanyflamflamnotescanwecraminflamhereintheflamflamflamnexttwelvecountsflamflamwaitheresaflamflamcouplemoreflam. It goes beyond supplementing the musical impact and into distraction territory. That's not the only instance.

Anyway, whatever, you disagree, but I can see how an MA judge might score such parts differently than the percussion judge would, that's my only point.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 1

... there's a moment during a long brass note and it's just howmanyflamflamnotescanwecraminflamhereintheflamflamflamnexttwelvecountsflamflamwaitheresaflamflamcouplemoreflam. It goes beyond supplementing the musical impact and into distraction territory...

I consider that flam-fest (that gets me to the edge of my seat in anticipation) as 'conflict' against the long sustained brass note and keeping perfectly within the overall "Side X Side" show theme - so to me, it does supplement the music, AND I find it highly entertaining... especially with how clean they play it. :thumbup:/>

• Like 1

For reference, the content of these two captions on the sheets. I've grouped the two content and the two achievement subcaptions together for purposes of comparison.

• Are the elements inherent in the muslcal composition/arrangement at the highest levels of design?

• To what extent does the orchestration/musical structure lend itself to expressive motivation?

• What authentic, innovative, and appropriate devices and structures are used in the musical design?

• How do each of these factors, collectively and individually, compare to each and all the other units in the competition?

• What is the breadth and depth of individual and shared responsibilities related to the musical vocabulary?

• To what degree do the performers demonstrate simultaneous or layered responsibilities of playing an instrument, moving in and through forms, listening and responding to others, and manipulating body position?

• In what way do each of these factors, collectively and individually, comapre to each and all other units in competition?

• How consistently does the music ensemble present the design elements throughout the performance?

• How consistently does the unit exhibit succesful ensemble sonority and intonation?

• How consistently does the ensemble demonstrate clarity and uniformity of style and interpretation?

• How precise is the ensemble in vertical alignment? How well are challenges achieved with precision? How well do performers demonstrate the ability to recover?

• How succesful are the performers in achieving the range of musical, physical, and environmental challenges?

• Do the performers consistently demonstrate expressive qualities and musicianship?

• Is clarity and uniformity of style, interpretation, and articulation consistently demonstrated?

• Considering all challenges, do the performers demonstrate musicality, precision, and accuracy?

I did that a few pages back. seems to have been ignored. thanks!

I understand the sheet, and what the criteria are. My point is that many of those same criteria on the MA sheet are issues with Crown's percussion when compared to other corps.

Things like "range of musical challenges", "highest level of design", "depth and breadth of design", "precision of vertical alignment", "clarity and uniformity", "balance and blend" (this could apply to brass or percussion as I struggled to hear Crown's percussion often tonight). The list goes on. If the MA sheet is being judged properly, there should be no way Crown gets almost a perfect score in MA tonight, when they are 7th in percussion by over a point. If it were an isolated issue, I'd chalk it up to a statistical anomaly, but this has been the case all season long.

• Like 1

I understand the sheet, and what the criteria are. My point is that many of those same criteria on the MA sheet are issues with Crown's percussion when compared to other corps.

Things like "range of musical challenges", "highest level of design", "depth and breadth of design", "precision of vertical alignment", "clarity and uniformity", "balance and blend" (this could apply to brass or percussion as I struggled to hear Crown's percussion often tonight). The list goes on. If the MA sheet is being judged properly, there should be no way Crown gets almost a perfect score in MA tonight, when they are 7th in percussion by over a point. If it were an isolated issue, I'd chalk it up to a statistical anomaly, but this has been the case all season long.

as I said, upstairs in that stadium, all percussion sounds bad.

• Like 1

In a dome, with that hornline wailing and amps, that dirt is not going to be heard. it was not nearly as noticable up high at Allentown minus the exposed moments as it was watching them rehearse at field level earlier in the day.

Now..do I feel they should win MA? Nope, never said that. But I get why they are winning. I've had the same argument in marching band in the fall.

They've had 10 years to acclimate to LOS. Certainly, professionals of their caliber can distinguish between a quality line like SCV, Cadets, and BD versus Crown. I don't buy it.

They've had 10 years to acclimate to LOS. Certainly, professionals of their caliber can distinguish between a quality line like SCV, Cadets, and BD versus Crown. I don't buy it.

you can og there for 20 years. Inside, certain things will just not be heard as clearly. Plus inside, the goo is more amplified. You lose bass drums the higher up yo go. same with some tenors.

Crown designed thedrum book to fit within the big picture. That's the MA sheet. It's not designed OR performed well enough for the percussion sheet.

Well, I think Crown's 19.8 in MA tonight with 18.5 in percussion and 19.3 in brass shows that NOTHING can stop their MA score from rising. :tongue:/> And Joe Allison gave them a 98/100 in Music GE! :blink:/>

looking at his and others horrible numbers management, no wonder...he had nowhere else to go