Did Crown peak too early?

My question to you is...if that was said about BD, I suppose that would not considered trolling in your thinking?

and yes, if this exact thread would've been posted about BD last year when they won Semifinals, yes I would've called troll.

If someone would've posted this exact thread today asking if Blue Devils have peaked to early, I think it would be a bit more fair, what with Blue Devils winning in Allentown and Prelims and then losing Semis by a bit (though to be honest, I would probably disagree - BD looked pretty damm good on FN last night & I really like their show)

Here's an interesting metric based on the three competitive years between BD & CC:

2009 / Prelim / Semi / Finals

BD / 97.95 / 98.4 (+.45) / 99.05 (+.65)

CC / 96.1 / 97.55 (+1.45) / 97.5 (-.05)

2012 / Prelim / Semi / Finals

BD / 97.55 / 98.2 (+.65) / 98.7 (+.5)

CC / 96.0 / 97.45 (+1.45) / 97.65 (+.2)

2013 / Prelim / Semi / Finals

BD / 97.2 / 97.6 (+.4)

CC / 97.05 / 98.25 (+1.2)

Is this a noteworthy trend?..................... or as Arte Johnson (on "Laugh In") used to say (in a German accent)......."Veddy interesting.....but stupid!" blink.gif/>

2012 I got because they seemed VERY tired at prelims and gave a MUCH better run on Semi night

2013 I do not get. But doesn't keep me from enjoying the show!

Here's an interesting metric based on the three competitive years between BD & CC:

BD / 97.2 / 97.6 (+.4)

Is this a noteworthy trend?..................... or as Arte Johnson (on "Laugh In") used to say (in a German accent)......."Veddy interesting.....but stupid!" blink.gif/>

Kind of interesting: seems Crown brings their A-Game on Friday night in years they're Top 2.

Also interesting: in both of the other instances besides this season, BOTH corps either went up in score Finals night from Semifinals or dropped insignificant amount. If that trend holds, then tonight's placement will be no different from last night (though the spread will likely change in some way)

Kind of interesting: seems Crown brings their A-Game on Friday night in years they're Top 2.

Also interesting: in both of the other instances besides this season, BOTH corps either went up in score Finals night from Semifinals or dropped insignificant amount. If that trend holds, then tonight's placement will be no different from last night (though the spread will likely change in some way)

And in more than a few cases BD does the poorest at Semi's, while others advance on them. I think it will be close....very close.

I think a more apt question is this: was Crown huge jump in percussion a fluke or will it hold a bit tonight?

Regardless, spreads in many other captions were fairly large, and as pointed out in the Semifinals thread if BD had retained a 1 point spread on Blue Devils in percussion last night, Crown STILL would have won (albeit by .125 or something insanely slim). An equally apt question might be if Crown's spreads hold elsewhere (like in brass, for example)?

I honestly don't know; I suspected Crown's number is somewhere in between the lowest depths they've gotten and the highest. I would not be surprised if Pipitone scores them on the lower side: he's definitely not afraid to put a huge spread & call the Championship (right, Blue Devils 2008?). They sure looked and sounded great on the FN live stream, but so did Blue Devils. Honestly, it's impossible to tell unless you're on the field or the press box evaluating the corps from the rubric on the sheets. One thing's for sure, both corps are outstanding and I can't wait to see what happens tonight!!

If Crown can retain last night's spread in drums, it's game over. BD simply doesn't have the numbers if Crown can win music outright like they did last night. But I'd guess last night's 0.4 below BD's drums is the closest Crown gets, and tonight we see a more typical percussion spread of 0.8-1.0. Crown can still win with that spread, but it will be closer.

They sure looked and sounded great on the FN live stream, but so did Blue Devils. Honestly, it's impossible to tell unless you're on the field or the press box evaluating the corps from the rubric on the sheets.

Yup. I don't get people who think they can judge things better through an Internet stream than in person or on the field.

• Like 1

BD / 97.2 / 97.6 (+.4)

The words of the great Michael Jordan: "And what the (flip) does history have to with TODAY".

• Like 1