Phantom's Percussions future....

Winds of Change  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Will Phantom make changes at the top?

Been asked, said no. Too busy making money. Did some in DCA, and decided again to focus on money

You're trying to tell John Wooton, who was intimately involved with teaching the PR '89 drumline that you heard blatant ticks but when someone asks why you never taught DCI, you retreat behind "making money"?? That's weak.

• Like 3

So, since you focus on 'money' you are saying that all of the instruction you have done for HS drumline and Judging pays a bucket load of money? Just askin'

in all honesty....more than I made in DCA and probably would make in DCI.

and since sales requires some weekend work, and with a family, I'll take work over sleeping on a gym floor and riding a bus. I mean, I can go back to a rat hole apartment, or I can enjoy my nice home as I make plans to enhance it with a new patio in the spring....and a lot of the cash to pay for it came from judging

a) Hmmmm.... during that time period Rennick spent more time in Texas as a Dad than on the road as a Caption Head; which indicates that a high paid staff person does not always devote an entire summer of sacrifice.

b) On any given day during summer tour, in all corps, many instructional staff rotate in and out of the tour; this also indicates that paid techs do not always devote an entire summer of sacrifice.

a) Not sure where you're getting your information, but I can assure you this is not true. Paul is on the road more than he is at home every year. Are all caption heads on the road as much? I don't know, but Paul is certainly not the example to use in this case.

b) I agree with this statement. Now it's typical to have two techs per section that rotate throughout the camp season and Summer tour.

You're trying to tell John Wooton, who was intimately involved with teaching the PR '89 drumline that you heard blatant ticks but when someone asks why you never taught DCI, you retreat behind "making money"?? That's weak.

would you like a huge fictitious story that sounds better than the truth?

I looked at the pay, and the fact I'd have had to quit a good paying job to go on tour. They weren't going to give me 3 months off. They weren't even going to let me take 2 weeks a month off.

So yeah, I chose money. Unlike way too many people in this activity, I actually like to pay my bills and do well for myself and my family. Trust me, I know people that quit great jobs to go on tour, then were stunned when that gap on their resume drove them to a job at Starbucks

a) Not sure where you're getting your information, but I can assure you this is not true. Paul is on the road more than he is at home every year. Are all caption heads on the road as much? I don't know, but Paul is certainly not the example to use in this case.

I do believe that during the last couple of years Paul was with Regiment he spent a considerable amount of time in Texas; and during that time he was also testing the waters with the DCA Dallas, Texas based corps Vigilantes to see if that would be a viable option to keep him closer to home more often.

b) I agree with this statement. Now it's typical to have two techs per section that rotate throughout the camp season and Summer tour.

This applies to most all instructional staff with most all drum corps.

would you like a huge fictitious story that sounds better than the truth?

I looked at the pay, and the fact I'd have had to quit a good paying job to go on tour. They weren't going to give me 3 months off. They weren't even going to let me take 2 weeks a month off.

So yeah, I chose money. Unlike way too many people in this activity, I actually like to pay my bills and do well for myself and my family. Trust me, I know people that quit great jobs to go on tour, then were stunned when that gap on their resume drove them to a job at Starbucks

Jeff, I like ya man, and I do not think you meant it this way, but because Wooton was directly referenced by name in MarkC's posting, your response (to this particular posting) more than implies that you think Wooton is a cashless bum who chose DCI and teaching at a University over paying his bills and looking out for his family. Ya might want to restate what you wrote in another way.

• Like 1

in all honesty....more than I made in DCA and probably would make in DCI.

and since sales requires some weekend work, and with a family, I'll take work over sleeping on a gym floor and riding a bus. I mean, I can go back to a rat hole apartment, or I can enjoy my nice home as I make plans to enhance it with a new patio in the spring....and a lot of the cash to pay for it came from judging

Fair enough; and we accept your statement as being honest. But part of your reasoning, "I can go back to a rat hole apartment, or I can enjoy my nice home as I make plans to enhance it with a new patio in the spring" also implies, and I will stay with just percussion here, that those who spend a considerable amount of time devoted to DCI such as Rennick, McNutt, McIntosh, Beddis, Sparling, Tinkel, Mapes, Hampton, Rarick, Carter, et al along with most of their techs live in, as you put it, Rat Holes and cannot enjoy their nice homes and make plans to enhance them with new patios. I am sure that they would beg to differ.

Jeff, I like ya man, and I do not think you meant it this way, but because Wooton was directly referenced by name in MarkC's posting, your response (to this particular posting) more than implies that you think Wooton is a cashless bum who chose DCI and teaching at a University over paying his bills and looking out for his family. Ya might want to restate what you wrote in another way.

Stu this discussion has little to do with you, ergo stop sticking your nose in and trying to insert your assumptions on

My words.

No I'm not calling John a bum. I'm saying why I didn't go on the road.

Plain and simple

Fair enough; and we accept your statement as being honest. But part of your reasoning, "I can go back to a rat hole apartment, or I can enjoy my nice home as I make plans to enhance it with a new patio in the spring" also implies, and I will stay with just percussion here, that those who spend a considerable amount of time devoted to DCI such as Rennick, McNutt, McIntosh, Beddis, Sparling, Tinkel, Mapes, Hampton, Rarick, Carter, et al along with most of their techs live in, as you put it, Rat Holes and cannot enjoy their nice homes and make plans to enhance them with new patios. I am sure that they would beg to differ.

At the top end yes there's cash. Quick tell me how many techs make that cash?

Thank you

At the top end yes there's cash. Quick tell me how many techs make that cash?

Thank you

My reply to your contention about 'cash' was to use the words 'fair enough'; nobody, even Rennick, can make a high paying career out of a DCI corps. However, my response about your contention that drum corps staff live in, "Rat Holes" spawned the bulk of my response. So, your question should read, "Quick, tell me how many techs live in Rat Holes". And my response to that is not many, if any at all.