Brass Score

Final Crown rehearsal run from a mello's PoV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqp3bPxD0V0

and the victory run from a different mello:

Edited by packetslave

Play the book before making accusations such as this. The knock marching Drum Corps gets from college professors and professional musicians is that marching a summer is detrimental to your embouchure and could end up permanently damaging your lips in the long run, and believe me when I say there are many players that come back from drum corps and have had to have their lips rebuilt every fall. Cavaliers philosophy from 2001-2009 (and what I believe Crown is teaching now, though I don't know for sure) was building professional quality of sound using a concert technique. This served two fold: to bring a concert sound to the field and to teach the same lip technique, without overblowing, that you are taught in professional situations. At my school I first hand saw the difference between guys that marched with me and guys that came from other groups. Most of the time the first semester for other guys was spent rebuilding their embouchure. Wether you think it should sound different on the field or not does not mean the technique and quality of sound should change. Just my two cents though.

Also, someone must have thought they were pretty good since the only two brass titles Cavaliers have ever won were during this time with this teaching staff.

You're absolutely right, and, yes, many teachers have criticized the techniques often employed in marching band and drum corps. I was certainly not trying to cut down the Cavaliers. They have had many fine brass lines, and no doubt those lines from 2000 - 2009 are all fantastic. 2002 and 2006 have wonderful blend and balance.

I think my point was more pointed toward the person that stated something to the effect that Cavies set a standard for how corps should sound on the field. That might not have been you. My problem with that statement is this: not all corps should sound the same, so such a general statement is really a falsehood. When Star of Indiana brought their unique and really good brass approach to the field I didn't think everyone had to adapt to that style, sound, balance, blend. When one listens to the best orchestras you notice how the balance is always shifting, blends are always changing (sometimes more homogenous, sometimes more lead-voice driven, sometimes a little "edge" to the bass trombone), and often times it is STYLE that decides these changes and shifts in sound. Sometimes it's tempo or lead voice, and some music is solo driven.

I'm glad Phantom Regiment sounds like Phantom, not Crown. Crown's style is wonderful, but I don't want the Blue Devils to sound like that, and the same with Cadets who play with a wonderful, punchy, fanfare-like sound when they need to.

So that was really what I was trying to say. I was a big fan of those Cavalier brass lines (and many others). The books are maybe not the most difficult in DCI, but they definitely had some meat to them, and they really had some excellent players for a number of years. I definitely did not mean to show any dis-respect to those brass lines, but I'm sure I did.

scores don't matter... The spread does

I dont agree (at least not at the top).

EXAMPLE:

If BD is at a 19.6 in Brass but Crown is actually .5 better... the spread means nothing because they have to stop at 20.

Spreads work but not when a corps scores a 20.

Final Crown rehearsal run from a mello's PoV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqp3bPxD0V0

and the victory run from a different mello:

I love the POV cams! Anyone know of any videos of Crown's victory run from a normal perspective? I remember BD's 2010 run being available relatively quickly.

Edited by skywhopper

I love the POV cams! Anyone know of any videos of Crown's victory run from a normal perspective? I remember BD's 2010 run being available relatively quickly.

There's a couple of them already up on that video site. Search for "crown" and filter the search to videos uploaded in the last week, sorted by upload date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ8fn-wXCqY

Edited by packetslave

I dont agree (at least not at the top).

EXAMPLE:

If BD is at a 19.6 in Brass but Crown is actually .5 better... the spread means nothing because they have to stop at 20.

Spreads work but not when a corps scores a 20.

This just means that the lower-placing brass lines were scored too high, because no brass line really deserves a 20 IMO, not even Crown's.

This just means that the lower-placing brass lines were scored too high, because no brass line really deserves a 20 IMO, not even Crown's.

So long as the visual judges feel free to max out the sheets, I think the music judges should be doing so as well. Otherwise, visual has too much of an impact on the final score.

Did you hear the brass line in 02 and 03? Talk about setting a new standard for what brass on a field should sound like.

Exactly.

2002 Cavies was the first time I can remember hearing a drum corps that sounded like a professional concert brass ensemble.

Exactly.

2002 Cavies was the first time I can remember hearing a drum corps that sounded like a professional concert brass ensemble.

David Clemmer's whole philosophy.