Gender Inequality

The second point is spot-#######-on. These are the things everyone in a leadership role needs to consider.

The first point, like you said, is a thorny discussion. I'll side-step your "race exclusion=gender exclusion" argument (mostly out of laziness ... I'll be honest, I've never thought about it in those terms. I need to let it simmer) to say that these gender-based policies started in a completely different era. Things are different now, but the Cavies and Scouts have become more than just "drum and bugle corps that happen to be all-male."

Like it or not, the organizations' identities are rooted in the gender policy. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's the emotional core to the issue. I can't imagine it changing anytime soon.

The first point was basically a parenthetical aside, as it is part of the discussion, and I felt it necessary to separate it from the second issue.

I'm hoping the discussion of the second point can continue, as it's the kind of thing that is very important, and also very easy to ignore.

Oh for Heavens sake here, MikeD, lets not split hairs here. When I mentioned " outreach programs " above, I'm not referring to heavy duty funded programs designed for the primary purpose of finding minorities from outside an organization to come into the organization. I'm referring here to a program of inclusion from within. DCI does not need to go outside for their outreach efforts here either. There are plenty of eager and no doubt talented Woman applicats that have what it takes to assume leadership roles among Corps at the Directorship levels, and even within the organizational structure of DCI itself.

If we believe that DCI can be doing better with things, then its been primarily, almost exclusively actually, the males that has been running things the last 35 years and has brought us to where we are today. I'm not making the accusation that the male dominated DCI has intended to keep woman out of positions of leadership roles over the years. Nor with intentional discrimination, nor intentional sexism. I see no evidence of intentional exclusion of Woman from position of leadership at the highest levels of DCI or at the DCI Corps level. Nobody here is asking for quotas either. Nor funded and organized " programs " as conventionally understood here either. I 'm referring here to a program of inclusion and outreach to recruit more Woman for positions of important leadership roles. What is needed is simply a voluntary.. VOLUNTARY... effort on the part of males that run things in DCI Corps that acknowledge that 0% or 3%, 5% participation rates for Woman is not where they should be, and that outreach efforts need to take place. Such first steps need to come from the ones currently in control, imo. Same as it was with MLB, as illustrated above. Put out a " welcome mat ". Recruit Woman that are seen as capable and eager. They are certainly in our midst. Such " change " is needed, and it could prove to be beneficial in the long run to DCI's quest to become more stable, and ultimately to grow.

Ah, OK. I do agree with that concept, for sure. There are lots of highly qualified women to fill openings at the corps executive levels...top, middle, lower, any and every level. IMO that is how best to get some at the top...get them working inside the organizations and they will rise to the top as they progress. The open question is how many of these highly qualified women "out there" are interested in these positions. Rhetorical question...when a WC corps advertises for an opening in their organization, what percentage of those who express an interest are qualified women? I have no idea...have you ever heard of any sort of numbers?

I really want to join the Girl Scouts, but they wont let me. I think I'll make an issue out of it!

I really want to join the Girl Scouts, but they wont let me. I think I'll make an issue out of it!

Yeah, and while we're at it we should start a White History Month!