what corps are you auditioning for for the 2014 season?

I'll be with INT or a DCA corps. Dang being old and all. :lle:

Last year I auditioned for BD and SCV. I aced both music auditions and failed both visuals. The auditions (and following this season) have made me decide that this year am only auditioning for SCV. And I am ready for the visual part of the audition! Good luck to everyone.

Edited by Hirsbrunner
  • Like 4

Looks like I'm marching with Couchmen first half of the season and the West Coast Sleepers in the second half.

Why, the same corps I auditioned for the last two years, of course :rolleyes:/> The Blue Stars, though this time I'm not planning on touring alternate again, or ending up having to get out early because of real life... Gotta complete this corps jacket.

• Like 1

Vanguard! They've always been my favorite, and the reason I fell in love with this activity!

• Like 2

Well my intial plan was to go for Music City this year...but Thursdays announcement threw that out the window. So now Im in the EXACT same boat as the OP, going to try out for Bluecoats on bari/euph, going to try and make it, oh well, if I do, better start figuring out my finances and school schedule. I would audition elsewhere, but with no Glassmen or travel money, my options are well, limited.

Edited by shawnguitarguy

Last year I auditioned for BD and SCV. I aced both music auditions and failed both visuals. The auditions (and following this season) have made me decide that this year am only auditioning for SCV. An I am ready for the visual part of the audition! Good luck to everyone.

i'm curious if you would share what the visual part of the audition involved? what do they downgrade people for? bad foot timing? bad posture?

i'm curious if you would share what the visual part of the audition involved? what do they downgrade people for? bad foot timing? bad posture?

Comparatively BD's and SCV's visual auditions were very different. For the Vanguard visual portion (I only attended a one day audition camp so it will be slightly different if you go to a weekend camp) they focus on marching basics: prepping for the first step, foot consistency and tempo, how well you hold a horn (why I failed, I've never touched a contra before, horn snaps were awful). They watched you throughout the camp to get an idea but had basically a few "test points" at which they had you perform a drill exercise (like a box drill) from what you worked on that day. These "tests" they viewed with a little more weight and were done with about three auditionees at a time. One of the drills they had you play an exercise on your horn while doing a box drill or something else. Posture is important and also for the audition they let you march whatever technique you are familiar with (straight or bent-leg).

The Blue Devils vis audition was very different. Probably 95% of the audition was visual proficiency derrived from ballet technique and then some jazz running. We didn't touch any horns/drums for the visual part (and this was a 2-day audition camp). There was a lot of spinning and technique terms and I don't remember doing any basic legitimate marching. At the end of the camp they told us that if we wanted to try again next year taking a dance class would be the best way to prepare for their vis audition (if you can't tell, this vis audition is one of the reasons I don't want to audition for BD again). They mainly looked for: can move your body in these ways consistently, do you have control of your body, and can you move in this way if we need you to etc. There weren't any "test points" with BD, they just watched you the whole camp to judge whether or not you were good enough. There were some dance sequences (for lack pf better terminology) that I couldn't get my feet to do, and I wasn't too bad at it but a lot of people looked really awkward trying to do some of the stuff they asked for.

For both SCV and BD the staff said that they looked also to see how much you improve and follow instructions over the audition camp, and that that was a factor too.

Edited by Hirsbrunner
  • Like 5