what corps are you auditioning for for the 2014 season?

Can you describe to this DC dino what takes place in a visual audition in today's day & age? Drill downs and so forth? Dance technique? It can't be high mark time technique or at least too much of it because no one does HMT any more. I come from a time where a successful visual audition consisted of being able to put your shoes on the correct feet (thank god for color-coded permanent markers!) and walking erect so I am a bit out of touch.

On page 2 of this forum I posted on my experience for the 2013 season auditions.

Edit: I'll elaborate a little more.

SCV focuses on marching technique and quality while marching and playing. Keeping feet in tempo while employing concepts such as prepping for a good first step, control of body weight, etc. (also SCV did use some HMT in their show this year! it wasn't covered in the audition though). They also look for people who can have the ability to listen and take criticism, and judge how quickly someone can improve on some marching drill the staff threw together. SCV didn't have us doing any kind of dance audition.

BD focuses on the ballet and Jazz running (which they teach through more ballet technique). They had us doing spin/arm extension sequences (forgive my lack of technical terms) and looked for those who didn't look awkward doing them. They also had us run about a mile to see who was physically fit and had us do rigorous stretching to see who was flexible and who could get into the positions they asked.

Edited by Hirsbrunner

I will be returning to the Couchmen again after marching (err...sitting) with them two summers ago and skipping a year to age-out with Blue Knights this last year. Can't wait to be a Couchmen vet!

Planning on auditioning for Crossmen this year- but, as school and whatnot prohibit me from actually marching a full season yet, just for the experience.