Minicorps RIP?

I'm not really qualified to have an informed opinion, since this was my first mini-corps experience (as a judge, no less), but I hope whatever obstacles are in the way are solved, because this is an excellent medium for the performers AND audience! There are so many possibilities unique to this format, where individuals can "fill up the room," while the full ensemble can dominate. The possibilities are endless!

My participation in the Ghost Riders' false ending was planned in advance. An idea from the evil mind of Donny Allen. :tongue:/>/>/>

The Star United ones... uhhh... no planning on my part. LOL. It was my mistake... and it's the one I hate making. Stepping on a corps is not my forte'. So my apologies to the Star United folks for "enhancing" their ending. Sometimes, stuff happens in a live show.

Fran,

You did NOT step on Star United....... I believe it was also PLANNED....even though they did not include you (making your response truly spontaneous). They had a similar ending in the past with a different announcer. When Becky starts waving, ANY announcer will chime in with the appropriate ending response.....

You should never hate those moments where your personality ADDS to a show........ and that's any time you say something.......... even killing time when events are behind the announced schedule.

Now for that shirt.

Regards as always,

Joe in NJ

• Like 2

I think the people that are complaining about the MIni corps venue at Annapolis have gotten a bit spoiled by Rochester. Anyone remember the uphill ski slope in Scranton lighted by a generator and traffic lights?

I seem to remember people complaining how horrible the sound was in the hall at Rochester for mini corps.

OMG :)

I like the outdoor venue of Allentown and street carnival atmosphere. You just showed up and threw down. When I was with Crusaders Sr. we just picked 20 people and showed up and played in an arc in 99. Next year at Syracuse it was more official with inside venue but still a party. I saw the deal in Rochester in 2009 when I was with the Sun Devils and it was still a party type venue but the hall was tough but still a good time. I don't like the idea of having it at the stadium. I think it should stay as music only with no movement even though when I first saw Ghost Riders do it in Syracuse on the stage it was cute. The more complicated you make it , the less people want to do it. I miss Mass Brass - Strutta, Billy Valley (Airs), Coulson and the whole gang. Fun times... When its not fun anymore, whats the point.

I like the outdoor venue of Allentown and street carnival atmosphere. You just showed up and threw down. When I was with Crusaders Sr. we just picked 20 people and showed up and played in an arc in 99. Next year at Syracuse it was more official with inside venue but still a party. I saw the deal in Rochester in 2009 when I was with the Sun Devils and it was still a party type venue but the hall was tough but still a good time. I don't like the idea of having it at the stadium. I think it should stay as music only with no movement even though when I first saw Ghost Riders do it in Syracuse on the stage it was cute. The more complicated you make it , the less people want to do it. I miss Mass Brass - Strutta, Billy Valley (Airs), Coulson and the whole gang. Fun times... When its not fun anymore, whats the point.

Just never fall into that trap of thinking that because you may have stopped having fun, others have stopped too. In some cases, the more complicated you make it the MORE people want to do it. It depends on the It, and on the people.

I believe that's why so many DCP'ers carry that rap of being negative in their views about others who actually are still having a pretty good time.

• Like 2

I think the people that are complaining about the MIni corps venue at Annapolis have gotten a bit spoiled by Rochester. Anyone remember the uphill ski slope in Scranton lighted by a generator and traffic lights?

I seem to remember people complaining how horrible the sound was in the hall at Rochester for mini corps.

Completely agree.

Remember in 2005... when the I&E/mini-corps show was moved to the stadium in Scranton.... that move received a lot of praise, because the stadium was better than the Montage venue.

The Rochester venue, overall, was/is wonderful. But IMO, Annapolis ain't too shabby, either.

Everything's relative, I suppose.

• Like 1

Hey Ray, Good to hear ya.

I'm results based on analysis. Less Mini-corps ? cause and effect on some points. Strutta has hit on a lot of other points. The trend is heading to zero.

Hey Ray, Good to hear ya.

I'm results based on analysis. Less Mini-corps ? cause and effect on some points. Strutta has hit on a lot of other points. The trend is heading to zero.

I don't think you had "less" mini-corps - I think you had fewer. That's a huge distinction. When it starts to become "less" I'll worry about it.

My unsolicited prediction? Many minis will be back or out for the first time next year.

And the quality will remain high.

I fully expect Mass Brass to be back in it, if for no reason other than they're some of the most competitive ###### I've ever run into.

• Like 1

I guess the moderators are all at Finals...

Expected to see ###### on that one.

Ah they finally caught it - last night when I posted it it still said "#####"

Edited by rayfallon