Minicorps RIP?

Minne-Brass will also be back in 2014. We had most of our show ready in March, but unforeseen events ... Well, never mind.

No nevermind, my friend. As I have been told, several of the MiniCorps have had troubles with the availability of percussionists. And that is the major problem. Nothing more than that. If that problem is solved, then you'll see more MiniCorps in 2014.

My unsolicited prediction? Many minis will be back or out for the first time next year.

New groups like these guys ... they started rehearsals today at the local Labor Day parade:

D8739D563EC9131A4D1127AF6C7AE_h296_w526_m2_bblack_q99_p99_cUjydYiuQ.jpg

... they even found a drummer ... AND ... a clown ... WOO HOO ...

ps - Ray ... I heard they're from TX ...

:whistle:

Al Gore warned us in 2006 that ".....within 10 years you will see a decrease in the size of the polar cap, an increase in violent weather damage, and a drying up of percussionists available for the increasing brass........." We've got to stop the percussionists from drying up......

Joe

• Like 1

After reading through this entire thread, I feel the need to add something here. NY Skyliners Minicorps has performed at four different times and iterations. Each time our personal satisfaction of performing for fans who appreciate the effort put in and music played FAR outweighed the desire to 'win' - a decent placement in recognition of our more traditional show concept was all we hoped for. I would say though it can't be denied that there was/is a certain level of resignation to the fact that fans of what we do (including the judges) and fans of what the top level Mini's do are totally polarized. One suggestion might be to offer the opportunity for groups like us to perform in nothing more than an exhibition - and don't record the show. It might be an enticement to bring back some life to the smaller groups that simply can't afford to perform under the current requirements and who really want nothing more than a venue in front of peers in which to perform, and it would give the legacy members and fans who are still here in pretty good numbers to see and hear something more geared toward their musical interest. IMHO.....

• Like 1

What one person's musical interests is another's yawn-fest. I get that. But if they start breaking mini-corps into various divisions, I think that will kill it more than anything else. What is the reason behind not recording it? Financial?

What one person's musical interests is another's yawn-fest. I get that. But if they start breaking mini-corps into various divisions, I think that will kill it more than anything else. What is the reason behind not recording it? Financial?

some tend to think that because DCA records and distributes the mini corps, that is the only reason to have music rights and insurance,...........which is just not true,..........for any corps/organization, both are required legally and simply as a matter of good business,.........

That is why I asked what was his reasoning behind that idea.

After reading through this entire thread, I feel the need to add something here. NY Skyliners Minicorps has performed at four different times and iterations. Each time our personal satisfaction of performing for fans who appreciate the effort put in and music played FAR outweighed the desire to 'win' - a decent placement in recognition of our more traditional show concept was all we hoped for. I would say though it can't be denied that there was/is a certain level of resignation to the fact that fans of what we do (including the judges) and fans of what the top level Mini's do are totally polarized. One suggestion might be to offer the opportunity for groups like us to perform in nothing more than an exhibition - and don't record the show. It might be an enticement to bring back some life to the smaller groups that simply can't afford to perform under the current requirements and who really want nothing more than a venue in front of peers in which to perform, and it would give the legacy members and fans who are still here in pretty good numbers to see and hear something more geared toward their musical interest. IMHO.....

Rich,

I say this with respect, both as a fan, a former mini-corps performer/arranger/instructor/organizer, and an old fart. I love Sky - I've said it 1,000,000 times over the years. The reasons that you guys didn't win or compete for a top spot is that other minicorps were better. You guys played your balls off and it was great fun, but as a competitor you don't want it to be an applause meter. The Empire Statesmen never wanted championships to be because the crowd loved them the most, otherwise the championship they won by playing and marching the best, while having the best show, would be meaningless. Same thing with the 1975 Skyliners, who blew the competition away with their skill and accomplishments.

Mini-corps does not need divisions. It needs a sense of reality. You need the best players, with the best instruction, doing the best show, and doing it best that night, with the best judges. I whined earlier that Star United's dominance hadn't been good for mini-corps and I still maintain that, but they HAD to win - they were/are that good. The way to beat them was what Ghost Riders did - they worked to get that much better.

I finally feel that most fans are polarized, but not in the way you say - they are polarized to excellence. I always liked Hy's music. I worshiped him as a man and as a Drum Corps icon. I loved the way that Sky played, starting way back with Tommy Martin, Bucky Swan, Pepe, even Manny, and moving through Ruben, Side-mouth, Konga, John Girardi, Bobby Burke, et al. But I never thought they should have won, until that 1975 performance, starting back around the Dream show. They were a force of nature. If you guys are serious enough about being mini-corps champs, that's what you need - guys that good playing music that good and playing it that well on the championship night. You want polarization? You'll polarize them the night you do that.

BTW you had the best drum set player I've ever known. If I were starting a mini-corps I'd start with Jackie Murray and build from there. You have magic and excellence in the same set of hands - now match that all through the brass.

Ultimately fans (and corpsmembers, and judges, and instructors, and directors) want excellence bordering on magic. It polarizes crowds.

I dig Sky to death. But don't complain about fans being polarized. Get good enough to win the ones you think are stuck on musical excellence. You can do both. And I mean every word of that with respect, no matter how you take it.

Edited by rayfallon
  • Like 2

New groups like these guys ... they started rehearsals today at the local Labor Day parade:

D8739D563EC9131A4D1127AF6C7AE_h296_w526_m2_bblack_q99_p99_cUjydYiuQ.jpg

... they even found a drummer ... AND ... a clown ... WOO HOO ...

ps - Ray ... I heard they're from TX ...

:whistle:/>

If that's from the Mummers' parade in Philadelphia, I may be the one with the trombone. I did that cold ### parade every New Years morning for the money, like a hooker.

If that's from the Mummers' parade in Philadelphia, I may be the one with the trombone. I did that cold ### parade every New Years morning for the money, like a hooker.

Nope ... not the Mummers ... after some further sleuth work, I've been able to determine that this is the Jolly Jesters Alumni ... one can only wonder if Hamm's Indians and the Harvey Seeds are far behind ...

Hmmmm ... maybe I can get them to come to a BHOF I&E show ... which, by the way, is an excellent venue for Mini Corps to hone their shows in the winter and spring ... and have some libation along the way ... over the years, many of the Mini's that appear @ DCA have shown their skills at these events ... they even frolic with the MC sometimes ... :w00t:

Seriously, best wishes to the future of Mini's ... whatever number of groups show up in Rochester (or at the BHOF shows), they'll be appreciated ... and like Ray said, the quality will remain high ...

:-)