Drum Corps 2014 – The State of the Activity

Interesting read. I wonder if you did a poll of drum corps people from two eras, say Pre-93 and 93 to now, using Star as the line of demarcation, what kind of results you would see as far as those who agree with you or not.

I only go to a few shows a year, both DCI and DCA, and I really haven't noticed the crowds getting thinner or less enthusiastic. Granted, some shows kinda leave you wondering what the heck is going on here, but for the most part, I usually get it and am entertained. Mind you, I didn't start going to shows until 1984, so I guess I don't have a point of reference before then, other than video.

I have a feeling some of the old memories are heavily clouded by nostalgia. That's not to say that things aren't very different now than they were then. Just that we tend to remember things from our past being better than they really were.

• Like 1

I lke the "line of demarcation" phrase! How about Garfield/Star? Better yet,what is the common denominator here? Has it become a more visual drum corps or musical drum corps? If you say visual, then you will get the answer....George Zingali!

Interesting read. I wonder if you did a poll of drum corps people from two eras, say Pre-93 and 93 to now, using Star as the line of demarcation, what kind of results you would see as far as those who agree with you or not.

I only go to a few shows a year, both DCI and DCA, and I really haven't noticed the crowds getting thinner or less enthusiastic. Granted, some shows kinda leave you wondering what the heck is going on here, but for the most part, I usually get it and am entertained. Mind you, I didn't start going to shows until 1984, so I guess I don't have a point of reference before then, other than video.

I have a feeling some of the old memories are heavily clouded by nostalgia. That's not to say that things aren't very different now than they were then. Just that we tend to remember things from our past being better than they really were.

Well couched expression of your view of the current tick on the evolution timeline. Agree with much, disagree with some, but like evolution itself I think we get ourselves too caught up in a "better or worse" frame of reference. Are we (in modern society) "better off" with instant communications and the ability for every single citizen to publish his or her thoughts online virtually instantly? Pretty sure you could make compelling arguments in either direction.

Objectively, while I greatly enjoyed the corps like Star '93, 2013 DCI seems to be doing better with audience and ticket sales. That may be the only valid measurement. What we stand up and clap for, while important, is not the measurement of where the activity is. The fact that girls threw their panties on the stage for The Beatles for doesn't mean it was objectively better music than Classical, or Jazz, or Broadway.

I appreciate your perspective. I have to think about my own from time to time too. I loved the corps I saw this year - felt like the activity was really healthy. Having said that I had so few moments of wanting to leap to my feet screaming. I had no 1984 Garfield where the performance transcended the arena like an out of body experience. No moment like 1975 27th Lancers, 1983 Cadets, or 1991 - 1993 Star where I could almost palpably feel the activity evolving.

Maybe next year. For now we are where we are - great kids who continue our great activity - judged by great and wise adjudicators and sherherded by good staffs and volunteer groups that keep it all running down the road. Where we are is well worth all the work we did in the '60s and '70s.

Edited by rayfallon
  • Like 2

Well-said, Lee. On the money.

• Like 1

Some really good stuff in there Lee. I wonder if corps directors and show designers will pay any attention to it at all?