The Year of the Retro Show-

I am on th sies of the fence on this....

I like the idea from a musical point of view. To hear an updated version of Blue Devils 1976 show? That woul be amazing!

Cadets doing the 1983 show? Phatom playing "An American in Paris?" Vanguard playing "Fiddler..." Cots doing the Riverboat show?

Then the other side ....who really cares? Even parents of the kids today weren't born in 1976!They know the drum corps of today.

thats the whole thing...who's retro....my retro is not anothers retro....retro to the corps? thats different and could be anything from 2007 to 1972 or even before

• Like 1

There were shirts. Didn't you get one? It was the same logo, and someone slapped a "40 Years" on it, I found that it was incredibly special and meaningful to own! satisfied.gif (great job, marketing gurus!)

You know....I did buy one of those shirts. Although...I thought they were sort of in tribute for my big '40' Birthday and my support of the activity for many years... :satisfied:

(DCI and I hit 40 together last season....:) )

and to the OP..if hit a major lottery...and start my own drum corps I would perform a show titled 'Time Machine' or something to that effect. I would step the fans through the evolution of drum corps (even with some of the actual equipment used back in the day)

You know....I did buy one of those shirts. Although...I thought they were sort of in tribute for my big '40' Birthday and my support of the activity for many years... :satisfied:/>/>/>

(DCI and I hit 40 together last season....:) )

and to the OP..if hit a major lottery...and start my own drum corps I would perform a show titled 'Time Machine' or something to that effect. I would step the fans through the evolution of drum corps (even with some of the actual equipment used back in the day)

I would love to hear alot of those songs again BUT thats the thing..those types of showns almost never go over big...Even played by the original corps it has a chance but not competitively..it's kinda like anniversary shows..who cares unless youre in the corps...granted some could like it though....some ! :smile:/>/> Madison did a great job of it this year fitting their song into a great show...but not a show , an entire show

Edited by GUARDLING

thats the whole thing...who's retro....my retro is not anothers retro....retro to the corps? thats different and could be anything from 2007 to 1972 or even before

Absolutely great point!

I was playing some drum corps during lunch of one of our band camp days in my band room and some of the kids say "What year is this?" I told them it was 2006 and they say "oh... old school corps..." and then they walked out. lol.

Absolutely great point!

I was playing some drum corps during lunch of one of our band camp days in my band room and some of the kids say "What year is this?" I told them it was 2006 and they say "oh... old school corps..." and then they walked out. lol.

thats so funny ..but true..sadly enough a HS kid 7 years ago was still a baby...to us its a blink of the eye..lol :blink:

Guys, get over it.

Drum corps is never going to be high mark time; military-booted girls with skirts & real rifles

you need to move on. Try to find things you enjoy in 2013.

I would imagine that anyone that is looking for " high mark time, military booted girls with skirts & real rifles " in DCI Drum Corps has left the activity a long,.. LONG time ago. That fan is not here, is not coming back, and is not going to shows now, so we should really need not be any more concerned with these long gone fans.... on this section of the website anyway. The OP's quest, while perhaps well intentioned, is also not going to happen in the all corps agreed retro format context he is suggesting here either. So I wouldn't waste too much time and energy on discussing a year of the retro for all the Corps, as thats just an implausable fantasy, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

I would imagine that anyone that is looking for " high mark time, military booted girls with skirts & real rifles " in DCI Drum Corps has left the activity a long,.. LONG time ago. That fan is not here, is not coming back, and is not going to shows now, so we should really need not be any more concerned with these long gone fans.... on this section of the website anyway. The OP's quest, while perhaps well intentioned, is also not going to happen in the all corps agreed retro format context he is suggesting here either. So I wouldn't waste too much time and energy on discussing a year of the retro for all the Corps, as thats just an implausable fantasy, imo.

well said and I think you are right..I do think we may see a few small throw backs and by the least expected in the near future. If nothing else for shock value and throw people into a mental frenzy just to pull away again... :shutup:

Absolutely great point!

So what ? They wern't going to shows in 2006 either, so who cares.

Edited by BRASSO

Hey. There's been a variant of this thread posted every 3-4 days since finals.

Guys, get over it.

Drum corps is never going to be high mark time; military-booted girls with skirts & real rifles; and G bugles playing Broadway tunes in concert formation...Ever again.

I know many will dismiss me as some young punk who knows nothing, but I've seen plenty of old school corps videos. 1955 Madison Scout. 1981 Blue Devils. 1974 SCV. There is some great stuff. Madison's sop soloist from '75 is great in any era.

But, you need to move on. Try to find things you enjoy in 2013. Blue Devils performing the $%@$ out of their show in every regard. Dat flugel solo. Crown having one of the best hornlines ever. SCV & Cadets battery. Is it Black Market Juggler or Legend of the One Eyed Sailor? No, but it is quality. It is excellent. I guarantee the kids on the field feel a similar rush nailing their drill & getting their intricate timing & rhythmic interplay as you did leaving the field with a bloody lip after breaking some press box windows. The content of the shows is different, the experience isn't, really. I know Hop isn't popular, and Lord knows he deserves it sometimes (often...), but I think he's right when he says drum corps is only 10% about the show on the field.

I think the OP is only asking, ( JUST MY OPINION ) if doing something like this would bring people BACK? My answer, again, my opinion....no. People grow and move on. Every single time a corps died, many kids and their families found something else to do. That is a lot of people who just left drum corps and aren't coming back. Not every person who was involved in corps was a die hard and left only because of Hop. Are the corps doing things that are exiciting? That is being extremely debated by everybody every year. Do the corps do what they do, EXTREMELY WELL? H#$@ YES!!!! Better than ever by far and bar none. I think it is just an honest attempt to increase exposure and love of drum corps for all. I have said before I wish the younger kids could get some of those throw your babies standing O's of yester year, because these corps of today, truly deserve them.

Music from yesteryear, done with todays quality drill and musicianship and frontline? Could really be something and as was said earlier, most of todays fans may have never been exposed to a lot this music and may just be blown away. Never know. It may fall on its face also, times have changed.......alot.

Edited by oldtimefan