My 10 Favorite Corps Songs from 1956-1995 (first edition )

I chose this time period because 1956 was my first year in drum corps ( I am an original member of the Phantom Regiment ) and because I wanted to give the musical pieces performed since 1995 a chance to season with time before, the Lord willing, I construct the 1996- 2015 edition.

It was my great fortune to see the first 7 songs performed live and there is no better treat in drum corps than that - except for what happened in 1996 and 2008 : ))

1957 The Cavaliers Sing Sing Sing

1957 Holy Name Cadets And the Angels Sing

1960 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights In the Still of the Night

1962 Hawthorne Caballeros Espana Cani

1965 Chicago Royal Airs Alexander's Ragtime Band

1969 Racine Kilties Auld Lang Syne

1974 Santa Clara Vanguard Send in the Clowns

1988 Madison Scouts Malaguena

1989 Santa Clara Vanguard Music of the Night

1995 Phantom Regiment Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini

This was a lot of fun to do and, two years from now, I hope it is even more so.

100% with you on both of these. I was 5-6 years old for these years, don't really remember but I know I watched them on PBS with my dad. I've since seen them many times. I don't have access really to watch many of the others. I would add 1976 Blue Devils on there, or possibly 1978, which are just amazing shows, before my time, but really encompass what I love about corps.

I chose this time period because 1956 was my first year in drum corps ( I am an original member of the Phantom Regiment ) and because I wanted to give the musical pieces performed since 1995 a chance to season with time before, the Lord willing, I construct the 1996- 2015 edition.

It was my great fortune to see the first 7 songs performed live and there is no better treat in drum corps than that - except for what happened in 1996 and 2008 : ))

1957 The Cavaliers Sing Sing Sing

1957 Holy Name Cadets And the Angels Sing

1960 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights In the Still of the Night

1962 Hawthorne Caballeros Espana Cani

1965 Chicago Royal Airs Alexander's Ragtime Band

1969 Racine Kilties Auld Lang Syne

1974 Santa Clara Vanguard Send in the Clowns

1995 Phantom Regiment Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini

This was a lot of fun to do and, two years from now, I hope it is even more so.

All good pieces and great corps but are you really doing the greatest songs between the mid-50s and the mid-90s without a single piece by the NY Skyliners?

Expect a knock on your door... it's time for an intervention. You'll thank me later.

Good pieces - great corps - the stuff you missed way out-weighs the stuff you included. I guess it's inevitable and why we do lists, but...

Got anything from the St. Kevin's Emerald Knights ?

Edited by BRASSO

"Historical Junior Corps Discussions" please

I agree.

Its a great post thread but best belongs there.. he's in the right Church, but the wrong pew. ( no biggee, though )

All good pieces and great corps but are you really doing the greatest songs between the mid-50s and the mid-90s without a single piece by the NY Skyliners?

Expect a knock on your door... it's time for an intervention. You'll thank me later.

Good pieces - great corps - the stuff you missed way out-weighs the stuff you included. I guess it's inevitable and why we do lists, but...

rayfallon, thank you for the intervention. The list was only my enduring favorites during those 40 years ( the question I posed to myself was if I could only choose 10 musical pieces over that time. what are they ). My emphasis was on those I had heard performed on the field of competition by top-ranked junior corps.

The invitation in my initial post was for others to post their own choices and to see whether there were any matches ( similar to what BDStaffAlum did )

I have never had the pleasure of hearing anything by the NY Skyliners or by St. Kevin's. It appears as if I have a lot of catching up to do. After posting this, I will be searching youtube. If you have any suggestions on where else to search, please let me know.

However, both Ghost and BRASSO ( and thanks to both ) have pointed out to this newby that this discussion is better suited to a different DCP forum and I accept the wisdom of these veteran posters. So, I will contact the cathedral of DCP administrators and find out how to transfer the entire thread to the right pew.