Marching in both a competing and alumni corps?

I want to know if this is possible, or if it is even done by people? I ask because I am torn between marching in a competitive DCA corps and an Alumni Corps.

I want to know if this is possible, or if it is even done by people? I ask because I am torn between marching in a competitive DCA corps and an Alumni Corps.

I've seen it done ... but, the competing corps usually takes precedence when there is any conflict in schedules or the closer it gets to DCA Championships ... I've seen players sit-in and do parades with Alumni groups to keep their lips in shape - and for the camaraderie ... I know several people that play with multiple Alumni corps ... it's a hoot watching them change unis in between performances ... LOL ...

:-)

• Like 3

I am doing that very thing this year!!

To be perfectly honest you are going to find an awful lot of schedule conflicts and some directors are not going to say 'Oh that's okay you miss these practices, parades, shows'. Even if they do you have your fellow members to consider. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it is going to be tense at times.

I've also done this on a couple of occasions. On 3 DCA weekends even did 3 corps (Rochester Crusaders, Mighty St. Joes and Ghost Riders). Way too much work though, and I really don't think I did much justice to any of the corps I performed with those years. A lot of fun, but not very bright.

We've had some Freelancers Alumni do that for the entire season including DCA Championships.

I marched SoCal Dream and Freelancers Alumni simultaneously for three years. During the season Dream rehearsals and performances took priority but, luckily, there weren't all that many conflicts. And at DCA Dream took priority, but they knew I was with Freelancers on I&E and mini corps night. Since Dream was also at I&E at the same time, no rehearsal was lost. Also, Freelancers didn't do the Alumni Spectacular the year both were at DCA so, had Dream made Finals, Sunday rehearsal wouldn't have been a problem.

Even more hardcore than that were our members that marched Renegades and Freelancers simultaneously and they were both located in Southern California so they would have 4 1/2 to 7 hour drives one way for every Renegade camp weekend. We had two active members march a full season of both (each in different years) and, in addition to that, we also had two Renegade contras "step up" and help out Freelancers Alumni in one of our first mini corps years. The two members who did Renegades didn't have as many conflicts as you would think because, except for once-a-month weekend camps (or twice-a-month as DCA comes closer), all of Freelancers rehearsals are on weekdays. And, except for one DCI show, when Freelancers performed it was at all the same show as Renegades so those guys would just pop in for the Freelancers performance real quick and then head right back to where Renegades were warming up. DCA Championships were another story. Both those guys were running around like chickens with their heads cut off because they were in both I&Es and mini corps for Freelancers the years they marched Renegades. It was hectic for everyone involved and one of the guys has vowed he would definitely never do that again. Plus the mini corps itself takes a beating because you don't have all your members there for all the rehearsals right before the one performance you've been practicing for all year.

For me, it was hectic, but not as hectic as the guys who did Renegades. That being said, if I still lived close to Dream and my health was better I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. I miss marching drill and playing and I miss my Dream family.

Edited by Cathie Wiener

I'm going to get myself in trouble here, but this is my opinion: Very very very few players have enough in them to give 100% with 2 corps. One or the other (frequently both) suffers in the exchange.

The other part of that (and I am being clear that this is just my opinion) is that the essence of drum corps is the commitment to your fellow corpsmembers, the teamwork, the esprit d' corps.

Even more difficult than memorizing both shows, both field shows, being warmed up and prepared for performances, being in the zone to give it your all, is that commitment to your teammates. It's hard to do that twice.

I've met many many people that have played in multiple corps. In my opinion I've never met even one that did not short change someone (including their own experience of the activity) in the process.

Rantings of an old fart? Perhaps.

You be the judge.

• Like 3

Been doing it for the better part of two decades! :cool:

It IS possible to do both, as I have helped the Cabs Alumni while performing with the Cabs competing corps. (Never the other way around)...BUT.....if there ever was a conflict, the Competing corps ALWAYS came first...no ifs, ands or buts about it. (AND I NEVER did both during the competition season.(June - Sept) It was one or the other....never both.)

It's a tough decision to make Will.....as you are young, and you probably feel like you can do both. But....it you were thinking about auditioning for Cabs, and they ever found out you were performing with an alumni when you should have been at a Cabs rehearsal/parade/performance, there might be some backlash. (They have eyes everywhere!! LOL)

Seriously think about what you really want to do....both (competing and alumni) are definitely fun for what they are!

• Like 1