Sunrisers Announce 2014 Musical Selections!

Sunrisers Announce 2014 Musical Selections

The Long Island Sunrisers are proud to announce that their 2014 program will feature Compositions from Classic Russian Composers. During their sixty year history, the Sunrisers have featured a number of compositions whose roots are found with noted Russian Composers.

The Program will feature the following literature:
• Procession of the Nobles - Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
• Comedian's Galop - Dimitri Kabalevsky
• Fire of Eternal Glory - Dmitri Shostakovich
• Infernal Dance from the Firebird Suite - Igor Stravinsky
• Finale from the Firebird Suite - Igor Stravinsky

The show is set up to start with a majestic opening statement and production which was a “Sunriser” Staple throughout the Corps history including the 1960’s, 1970’s and 1990’s. The Comedians Gallop also was performed by the Sunrisers in the 1990’s and is to be a light-hearted view of the Roman Czar era. The ballad – Fire of Eternal Glory – while not performed previously by the Corps has been played by other DCA and DCI corps. The Infernal Dance from Firebird Suite – is the section where the Czar is being challenged and the reign is being threatened and coming to a close. The last production - Finale from the Firebird Suite is to show the new heir to the Throne as well as symbolize the rebirth of the Sunrisers in its most current form.

“It was very important to the sixtieth anniversary management that we stayed true to our Historical Roots!”.stated new the Executive Director and alumnus, Kevin Hassan. “With this program, the Sunrisers will be true to its roots while performing recognizable music to both the DCA Fan Base as well as our long and storied alumni.”

The 2014 program was also selected to show the various stages of the history of the Sunrisers – which has run the gamut from the best of times – Championships to the worst of times – unable to field a competitive corps and everything in between!

For additional information on the 2014 Sunrisers visit our website – www.lisunrisers.com or our official Facebook page – www.facebook.com/lisunrisers.

Edited by David Hobart
  • Like 2

I could really hype into playing this music!!!

Sunrisers Announce 2014 Musical Selections

The Long Island Sunrisers are proud to announce that their 2014 program will feature Compositions from Classic Russian Composers. During their sixty year history, the Sunrisers have featured a number of compositions whose roots are found with noted Russian Composers.

The Program will feature the following literature:

• Procession of the Nobles - Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

• Comedian's Galop - Dimitri Kabalevsky

• Fire of Eternal Glory - Dmitri Shostakovich

• Infernal Dance from the Firebird Suite - Igor Stravinsky

• Finale from the Firebird Suite - Igor Stravinsky

The show is set up to start with a majestic opening statement and production which was a “Sunriser” Staple throughout the Corps history including the 1960’s, 1970’s and 1990’s. The Comedians Gallop also was performed by the Sunrisers in the 1990’s and is to be a light-hearted view of the Roman Czar era. The ballad – Fire of Eternal Glory – while not performed previously by the Corps has been played by other DCA and DCI corps. The Infernal Dance from Firebird Suite – is the section where the Czar is being challenged and the reign is being threatened and coming to a close. The last production - Finale from the Firebird Suite is to show the new heir to the Throne as well as symbolize the rebirth of the Sunrisers in its most current form.

“It was very important to the sixtieth anniversary management that we stayed true to our Historical Roots!”.stated new the Executive Director and alumnus, Kevin Hassan. “With this program, the Sunrisers will be true to its roots while performing recognizable music to both the DCA Fan Base as well as our long and storied alumni.”

The 2014 program was also selected to show the various stages of the history of the Sunrisers – which has run the gamut from the best of times – Championships to the worst of times – unable to field a competitive corps and everything in between!

For additional information on the 2014 Sunrisers visit our website – www.lisunrisers.com or our official Facebook page – www.facebook.com/lisunrisers.

Hey - Procession ushered Sun back into the glory days when John rearranged it in 1976. Tell you what - that's one of the toughest things I've ever played in a drum corps.

Looking forward to hearing it. Infernal Dance? Yikes - feels like we spent a year trying to make that work in 1990.

All the best.

Going back to Sun's earlier years, I think I would have added Debussy's Clair de Lune from the mid-60's ...

:-)

Going back to Sun's earlier years, I think I would have added Debussy's Clair de Lune from the mid-60's ...

I'm not sure that would make any sense in the show theme of "Compositions from Classic Russian Composers", especially given that Debussy was French.

Sorry ... totally missed the Russian statement ... I was just thinking of reaching deeper into Sun's past ...

Sorry ... totally missed the Russian statement ... I was just thinking of reaching deeper into Sun's past ...

As long as they didn't throw the Joker in, all's well. Buddy Perry (SKY),rip, once told me he hated the Joker because he worked with someone from Sun at Grumman Aerospace and the guy would whistle the Joker all the time and it drove him nuts.

As I heard it, during the off season after 68, Ralph Shur introduced Procession to John Sasso. Ralph would often have a gang over and play records, thinking of the corps playing different and challenging things. Being a former sop, when I heard it I was glad I didn't have to play it. Sasso was a wizard at bringing players up to the challenge.