"12 MENIT" Marching Arts Movie: better than Drumline

So this is world class discussions but this movie is about marching band in Indonesia. I think a wonderful corps movie could be made with this same quality of production, but also introduce an unmatchable quality of performance.

The trailer for 12 Menit doesn't have subtitles yet, but this movie already looks WAY better than Drumline ever was. Forget the bad drumming and story line in Drumline, this movie has upped the anti. It is also great to see that the activity is so big in Indonesia that it is popular enough warrant someone making a movie.

http://12menithemovie.com/#!/

• Like 2

Translation of the synopsis:

It is a story of struggle . Self-defeating struggle . For the sake of a simple aspiration : realizing the 12 minutes that will be forever remembered them .

A Marching Band Bontang are striving to become the champion of a major event : the Grand Prix Marching Band . Repeatedly failed to become the overall champion , a new coach named Rene eventually lead the Marching Band . Rene - coach - hard female character demanded they train hard for 12 months for the sake of 12 minutes in GPMB .

Tara , Elaine , and Lahang is a member of the Marching Band . Three different child . Three characters and backgrounds . And three different problems . Tara had a pretty traumatic past and continues to haunt him . Elaine and Lahang intercepted conflict with their respective fathers .

They conflict peaked just before leaving for Jakarta . All three have a strong enough reason to stop fighting and not to GPMB . So what did Rene , Tara , Elaine , and Lahang ? Did they beat themselves ? Did they realize that 12 minutes ?

So this is world class discussions but this movie is about marching band in Indonesia. I think a wonderful corps movie could be made with this same quality of production, but also introduce an unmatchable quality of performance.

The trailer for 12 Menit doesn't have subtitles yet, but this movie already looks WAY better than Drumline ever was. Forget the bad drumming and story line in Drumline, this movie has upped the anti. It is also great to see that the activity is so big in Indonesia that it is popular enough warrant someone making a movie.

http://12menithemovie.com/#!/

OOooooo...me likey!!

Really happy for my former colleague Rene Conway who has been teaching in Indonesia for... Almost 20 years? Time sure flies! It looks great already!

Hope this is available DVD!!!

Looking around at WMC 2013 and one can watch Gita Surosowan perform. It is fun to look at all the groups at that event!!

Impressive to compare the floor show performance with the field performance. Obvious lots of hard work!!

Field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDido4gA_TE

Floor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9JWMaRId-0#t=191

Gita Surosowan Page

http://www.youtube.com/user/GitaSurosowanBanten

Really happy for my former colleague Rene Conway who has been teaching in Indonesia for... Almost 20 years? Time sure flies! It looks great already!

Rene's Facebook page says he is working on English subtitles for this, cool. Does Rene have a corps affiliation? I think he did the trailer and poster as well.

Rene's Facebook page says he is working on English subtitles for this, cool. Does Rene have a corps affiliation? I think he did the trailer and poster as well.

He's a Phantom Regiment alum, if I remember right (snare?). He rode one of the BD busses on the way home from Atlanta in 84 (my bus...the 0-4)

Thanks for the nods everyone. The movie will be released in Indonesia on January 29, 2014. The Producers hope to release it in Malaysia in the near future, and perhaps some other countries in Asia. As for a DVD, it's probably a good ways off, because they want to do a lot of promotions, including a tour of small towns and villages throughout Indonesia in association with the Ministry of Education. After all of that is complete, then plans will begin for the DVD. It would be great if the movie was released (at least in limited release) in the US and other countries, the Marching Arts community, the logistics would just need to be worked out to make it feasible.

The Engliish subtitles for the Trailer have been added already, just activate the Captions on the youtube panel. I've completed editing the English subtitles for the movie as well, and they will be included upon the movie's release.

Hey Terri, hard to believe it's actually been more than 22 years since I moved to Indonesia! Time does fly ;)

Sam, I was on Phantom Regiment's Percussion Staff in 1984, it was a life-changing experience, and thanks to leads from the friends I made (namely Shawn McBride and Brad Shannon), I eventually found my way to Indonesia.

My son's, Rob & Ryan, are both Trumpet players, Rob marched Blue Devils B in 2011 & 2012 and Madison Scouts in 2013 and will be back with them again in 2014. Ryan is graduating from High School in June, and I will encourage him to march wherever he wishes. They were both in the movie as members of the band.

Anyone interested in more information about my band (Marching Band Bontang Pupuk Kaltim) can check out our Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/mbbpkt?ref=br_tf

Please keep the positive comments coming. I will share them with the Producers so that they know that there is interest in the US.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am sad to report that Rene Conway passed away this week. His brother posted to his Facebook page that it was a massive heart attack in his sleep. Rene was a passionate educator and musician, and he leaves a long legacy behind. RIP, old friend.