Countdown to WILDWOOD!

I have been to every venue that the DCA championships have been in and the only one I would not go back to is Annapolis, too expensive, not a drum corps town, hotter than hell, people had to stay an hour away and still pay over $100 a room, stadium is so big the crowd is lost in the shuffle. DCA doesn't attract 50,000 people and they need a stadium that holds what they need well. Philly, Scranton, Allentown, Boston, Rochester, Hershey, Buffalo, and many more places have great DCA venues. Let's leave Annapolis to DCI and band competitions. Everyone gets to bid on the two year contract, so let's see some good bids from somewhere else, but at least a DCA town!!!

Edited by bariman50

Hershey is never going to be in consideration again.

and I'm not going to Rochester for a long time

I can't wait to go back to Rochester,............great drum corps town, great fans, perfect size stadium, reasonable hotel pricing, convieniently located hotels, great I&E venue, locals love having the activity in their town, good stadium food and pricing, easy to get around,............etc.

There are a couple people complaining about going to Rochester, but I am sure they will be more than offset by fans from the region that will attend when compared to Annapolis. Remember, DCA is the members corps, and they voted for the move to Rochester. My guess is that the financial return to the corps from Annapolis was miniscule, and just like the heavily defended position of corps from the NE not wanting or having to travel out of region being financially based, that argument translates well in to this matter.

If you want to see finals somewhere else, submit a bid.

Edited by Gary Matczak

I can't wait to go back to Rochester,............great drum corps town, great fans, perfect size stadium, reasonable hotel pricing, convieniently located hotels, great I&E venue, locals love having the activity in their town, good stadium food and pricing, easy to get around,............etc.

There are a couple people complaining about going to Rochester, but I am sure they will be more than offset by fans from the region that will attend when compared to Annapolis. Remember, DCA is the members corps, and they voted for the move to Rochester. My guess is that the financial return to the corps from Annapolis was miniscule, and just like the heavily defended position of corps from the NE not wanting or having to travel out of region being financially based, that argument translates well in to this matter.

Or get enough corps outside the Northeast to make Finals... honestly, there are several reasons why the majority would vote to keep it in the northeast. With that being said, I thought I read somewhere that the crowd was actually bigger in Annapolis? I realize that does not always translate to more money in the long run, but it seems like we did not have any problem getting people to attend the show (in comparison). The only way to make other places "DCA towns" is to spread DCA to other parts of the region.

I am biased because I live in the south, but Annapolis was not too hot and it was a much better destination. When you are trying to convince the family that they want to go with you on a vacation to see drum corps, it is much easier to promote Annapolis than Rochester. I would love to see what could happen in a couple of years if Championships were in North Carolina or Atlanta. There is a huge drum corps following down here and there are two DCA corps in the Atlanta area (and I hear that both will be fielding good sized groups this year). Annapolis was a great compromise and I think great to bring to an area of the country that may not be as familiar with DCA.

Now, if it is good for DCA to return to more familiar places every so often (for the budget), then I am all for that. I just would hate to see us get stuck in the same place for too many years (even Annapolis). DCA cannot grow like that.

I have been to every venue that the DCA championships have been in and the only one I would not go back to is Annapolis, too expensive, not a drum corps town, hotter than hell, people had to stay an hour away and still pay over $100 a room, stadium is so big the crowd is lost in the shuffle. DCA doesn't attract 50,000 people and they need a stadium that holds what they need well. Philly, Scranton, Allentown, Boston, Rochester, Hershey, Buffalo, and many more places have great DCA venues. Let's leave Annapolis to DCI and band competitions. Everyone gets to bid on the two year contract, so let's see some good bids from somewhere else, but at least a DCA town!!!

What DCA corps was from Scranton?

• Like 1

Never said Corps were from the venues just that they were great DCA venues.

I didn't know if there was one before I got involved with marching. I know a lot of corps have folded over the years but really have no idea of where they are were from.

<snip> When you are trying to convince the family that they want to go with you on a vacation to see drum corps, it is much easier to promote Annapolis than Rochester. <snip>

I absolutely agree with this. I hope that going forward DCA will look more towards destinations like Annapolis, if not return there again.

Edited by LegalEagle50
  • Like 1

So, um, 165 days!

(& FWIW I loved Annapolis, and hope to see DCA return there)

• Like 1

and Annapolis has a tenant that wanted the stadium