Countdown to WILDWOOD!

Or get enough corps outside the Northeast to make Finals... honestly, there are several reasons why the majority would vote to keep it in the northeast. With that being said, I thought I read somewhere that the crowd was actually bigger in Annapolis? I realize that does not always translate to more money in the long run, but it seems like we did not have any problem getting people to attend the show (in comparison). The only way to make other places "DCA towns" is to spread DCA to other parts of the region.

I am biased because I live in the south, but Annapolis was not too hot and it was a much better destination. When you are trying to convince the family that they want to go with you on a vacation to see drum corps, it is much easier to promote Annapolis than Rochester. I would love to see what could happen in a couple of years if Championships were in North Carolina or Atlanta. There is a huge drum corps following down here and there are two DCA corps in the Atlanta area (and I hear that both will be fielding good sized groups this year). Annapolis was a great compromise and I think great to bring to an area of the country that may not be as familiar with DCA.

Now, if it is good for DCA to return to more familiar places every so often (for the budget), then I am all for that. I just would hate to see us get stuck in the same place for too many years (even Annapolis). DCA cannot grow like that.

Can the Atlanta region guarantee in good faith enough tickets sold to justify it? The corps make the money on finals, and you'll see a large number of annual attendees not travel that far....are there enough locals to offset the loss?

What do the average DCA shows down there pull in in terms of fan numbers? Finals will obviously have a higher ticket price, so that may chase some locals away

Personally, I really enjoyed the Annapolis venue. I think my numerous trips to Ra-cha-cha have about peaked. Calling the stadium area a "getto" is an insult to most ghettos!

The choice of Atlanta would be fine if DCA secured the Georiga Dome, which I don't think will ever happen. Otherwise, you don't know heat until you've experienced Atlanta in August or September.

How about PPL Soccer Stadium in Chester, PA? I think Hoppy even has a contact there!

Aside from the proximity to Niagara Falls and Dino BBQ, what does Rochester offer for those people who make a vacation out of DCA Finals? A chance to see the Kodak building? Decrepit areas near the stadium?

I'm sure people's GPS have a hard time finding the stadium since it's gone through about 5 name changes since it was built. Driving through that area is probably about as fun as driving through Camden NJ.

• Like 2

Personally, I really enjoyed the Annapolis venue. I think my numerous trips to Ra-cha-cha have about peaked. Calling the stadium area a "getto" is an insult to most ghettos!

The choice of Atlanta would be fine if DCA secured the Georiga Dome, which I don't think will ever happen. Otherwise, you don't know heat until you've experienced Atlanta in August or September.

How about PPL Soccer Stadium in Chester, PA? I think Hoppy even has a contact there!

well......it's natural turf. And we know what the weather can be like Labor Day weekend

Aside from the proximity to Niagara Falls and Dino BBQ, what does Rochester offer for those people who make a vacation out of DCA Finals? A chance to see the Kodak building? Decrepit areas near the stadium?

I'm sure people's GPS have a hard time finding the stadium since it's gone through about 5 name changes since it was built. Driving through that area is probably about as fun as driving through Camden NJ.

It has Proietti's Pizza!!

Best pizza on the planet. Grew up on that stuff. I remember stopping there after Crusaders rehearsals on the way home. Come to think of it, I don't even know if they are even still in business. Fabulous pizza though if they are.

Dan

Obviously you're not from western NY, Cooperstown, Finger Lakes, Darien Lake, Canada, great zoo, unless your staying 2 weeks there is lots to do and see in this area, especially for families. This area is great in the summer, winter sucks however.............

Cooperstown is 3 hours from Rochester. Not exactly a short drive to fit in a few things to do in the area. While I agree the area has some gorgeous sites like the Finger Lakes, I can't see a lot of people wanting to bring little kids along for the trip to go antiquing or driving up the lakes while they ask when will they be having fun.

It may not be the greatest geographical area, but I hope someone involved with the Red Bulls or the stadium in Philly would put in a bid. Plenty of hotels, lots of things to do, easy access to international airports.

Cooperstown is 3 hours from Rochester. Not exactly a short drive to fit in a few things to do in the area. While I agree the area has some gorgeous sites like the Finger Lakes, I can't see a lot of people wanting to bring little kids along for the trip to go antiquing or driving up the lakes while they ask when will they be having fun.

It may not be the greatest geographical area, but I hope someone involved with the Red Bulls or the stadium in Philly would put in a bid. Plenty of hotels, lots of things to do, easy access to international airports.

Philly has real grass. I don't see it happening. can you image what the field would have been like after prelims in 2012?

Can the Atlanta region guarantee in good faith enough tickets sold to justify it? The corps make the money on finals, and you'll see a large number of annual attendees not travel that far....are there enough locals to offset the loss?

What do the average DCA shows down there pull in in terms of fan numbers? Finals will obviously have a higher ticket price, so that may chase some locals away

Couple of things regarding Atlanta. First of all, Atlanta hosts the largest attended DCI regional of the year. Great fan support for drum corps is down here for sure. Hartsfield/Jackson, hotel rooms, Six Flags, Aquarium, World of Coke, etc. etc....no question, we have it all. I think the real question (and the reason I don't think DCA Championships will ever leave Rochester for any length of time, is that my understanding is that DCA gets the stadium for virtually nothing up there. No venue, anywhere, that I know of can match that.

No doubt, that a revolving set up or something of the like would be good for exposure but the almighty dollar has a huge say in what venues get selected...as it should. The last thing DCA needs is to start going in the hole for Championships. That won't benefit anyone.

As much as I would love to see Championships down here (or anywhere else for that matter), until DCA can find a venue that will match the revenues generated by having it in Rochester, I don't see it moving.

Just my 2 cents,

Dan

Couple of things regarding Atlanta. First of all, Atlanta hosts the largest attended DCI regional of the year. Great fan support for drum corps is down here for sure. Hartsfield/Jackson, hotel rooms, Six Flags, Aquarium, World of Coke, etc. etc....no question, we have it all. I think the real question (and the reason I don't think DCA Championships will ever leave Rochester for any length of time, is that my understanding is that DCA gets the stadium for virtually nothing up there. No venue, anywhere, that I know of can match that.

No doubt, that a revolving set up or something of the like would be good for exposure but the almighty dollar has a huge say in what venues get selected...as it should. The last thing DCA needs is to start going in the hole for Championships. That won't benefit anyone.

As much as I would love to see Championships down here (or anywhere else for that matter), until DCA can find a venue that will match the revenues generated by having it in Rochester, I don't see it moving.

Just my 2 cents,

Dan

DCi fans are not neccesarily DCA fans though. And would casual fans want to show up for finals prices? So I ask again, for the local shows run down there for DCA, what's the attendance?

I'm ok with it moving, especially from Rochester. I've been there more than enough times in my life. But can Atlanta draw the number of bodies to replace those that will not travel? Remember, the corps get paid on what DCA makes at finals. Losing money is not an option.

• Like 1