The Cadets - 2014

chaddyt, my comment reflects my inner discomfort when Cadets use props and was reflected as "do no harm" , but yes, BD's props did enhance their show. My gut feeling is Cadets know their strengths and weaknesses. That may be the reason they have a professional writing the narration this time around, and not GH or the guy driving the equipment truck as in the past. Hoping they are getting another "set of eyes" to help with stage logistics.

I believe it was Blue Stars who recently used stages with their Re-Bourne show. I really dig the music to that show, but the staging of those things was a masterclass in how not to use props, IMO. They really limited the space available to the corps for drill. My concern is that the stated purpose for these with Cadets is to "focus attention". I can't imagine they'll be using these 9 foot tall stages to "focus attention" in the back corners of the field so as to allow as much space as possible for drill, etc.

Time will tell of course.

I believe it was Blue Stars who recently used stages with their Re-Bourne show. I really dig the music to that show, but the staging of those things was a masterclass in how not to use props, IMO. They really limited the space available to the corps for drill. My concern is that the stated purpose for these with Cadets is to "focus attention". I can't imagine they'll be using these 9 foot tall stages to "focus attention" in the back corners of the field so as to allow as much space as possible for drill, etc.

Time will tell of course.

I believe it was Cadets 2008 that set the example of how not to use stages.

If the stages are stationary it will be fine. If they have to be staged multiple times I'm concerned. The narration doesn't worry me as long as the right voice performs it. I can tune out any political claptrap.

Here's to hoping Cadets make all you naysayers eat crow this summer. :dry:

I hope so too, but c'mon Tekk. This is what the off-season is always full of. But I'm not going to pretend I'm thrilled with the design choices they've released so far this season. Am I pre-judging?? You bet. Everyone talking about this subject, regardless of whether they like the concept or not, are pre-judging it. We have nothing else to go on.

I've stated I hope the Cadets prove me wrong. They're my corps. And I've repeatedly made it known that I hold them to a higher standard which comes with higher expectations. I don't think that's a bad thing. Invariably, sometimes they will meet those expectations, and sometimes they won't. I'll continue to praise them when I like what they do, criticize when I don't, and leave it up to them to get me to throw babies. :)

• Like 2

Here's to hoping Cadets make all you naysayers eat crow this summer. :dry:

We're not all naysayers, Cadet. Being that my wife grew up in Morris Co., NJ, I won't relate the look I receive from her whenever I question anything "Cadet." :giljotiini:

We're not all naysayers, Cadet. Being that my wife grew up in Morris Co., NJ, I won't relate the look I receive from her whenever I question anything "Cadet." :giljotiini:

If the shoe doesn't fit...

I hope so too, but c'mon Tekk. This is what the off-season is always full of. But I'm not going to pretend I'm thrilled with the design choices they've released so far this season. Am I pre-judging?? You bet. Everyone talking about this subject, regardless of whether they like the concept or not, are pre-judging it. We have nothing else to go on.

I've stated I hope the Cadets prove me wrong. They're my corps. And I've repeatedly made it known that I hold them to a higher standard which comes with higher expectations. I don't think that's a bad thing. Invariably, sometimes they will meet those expectations, and sometimes they won't. I'll continue to praise them when I like what they do, criticize when I don't, and leave it up to them to get me to throw babies. :)

There's a difference between remaining objective and completely using the past against them. What happened in years past is years past. There is mostly negativity and naysaying on this thread in reference to what the Cadets will do this year. Just because what happened in the past didn't work so well in the view of many, doesn't necessarily mean it won't work this coming year. But hey, you all have the right to remain on the fence. I'm not going to get too excited for this upcoming program, but I'm not going to discount them either.

• Like 1

There's a difference between remaining objective and completely using the past against them. What happened in years past is years past. There is mostly negativity and naysaying on this thread in reference to what the Cadets will do this year. Just because what happened in the past didn't work so well in the view of many, doesn't necessarily mean it won't work this coming year. But hey, you all have the right to remain on the fence. I'm not going to get too excited for this upcoming program, but I'm not going to discount them either.

How's the saying go? "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it."

The past is all we have to go on and their past with narration and props and such is not stellar. And while I can't speak for anyone else who's criticizing them, don't confuse my skepticism with writing them off.

I'm fully aware the Cadets are capable of proving me wrong.