How did you intitially come to be involved in the Drum Corps activity?

Being a relative newcomer to DCP (though not to music...I've been a student and teacher of music for 46 of my 54 years), I hope this isn't a rehashing of any earlier topic. Being that as it may...

I am interested in knowing how each of you who post became involved with Drum and Bugle Corps. For any who answer, please indicate (if you kindly will) any performance-based involvement you have had in the past. Corps and instrument included, I hope. For those of you who have never marched DC, please give your reason for coming to love this wonderful activity.

I'm sorry if this doesn't seem pertinent...however, given the relative strife which has permeated some of the boards over the past couple of weeks, I thought a relaxed respite might be in order. Oh...and it might give thought to some who are currently of the "bye...I'm done with all of this" crowd. Sometimes, it doesn't hurt to know why you loved something in the first place.

To any who I am offending with this topic...I'm sorry. And that is genuine...believe me. I'll save my story for a later date.

• Like 1

I'd been playing for about 15 years on many instruments, but I had a friend tell me I was going to the rehearsal with him one day. The rest as they say...

As the "yutes" would say, back in the dark ages of the 1970's, I had been in the school music program for many years and had noticed the corps and the unique sound they had and the great music they played. When still in high school a number of us went to a show and saw some big time corps, Oakland, PR, Kilties, Garfield, Squires, Blue Stars. I felt that I would be good enough to be in one of the corps and of course I was told by my peers that would never be possible. So I went to a small local corps who was happy to have anyone as back the the dark ages there were no tryouts. If you wanted in, you were basically in. After a couple of years I finally got to march in a finalist corps - what an experience that was. To this day I miss it and wish I could do it again.

First exposure to drum corps live and in person was at DCI Midwest in 1975, when my high school band director and his brother, who was band director at another school in the county, took a bus load of students to Whitewater. Luckily for me, a few months after I graduated in 1976, my band director started a drum and bugle corps of his own (Spirit of Atlanta).

I was a bando, and already had won both the AL and VFW championships.

But I then joined a drum corps, because I was attracted by the unique instrumentation.

• Like 1

I saw a drum and bell competition in 1970 when I was 8 and there was this new drum and bugle corps from Concord there. I joined up as soon as I could but wasn't old enough to march junior drum and bell. Since I was learning from the Frank Arsenault record already I was the first to be picked for what is now the C corps.

As a young kid I lived across the street from Manning Bowl in Lynn MA on Rt 107. From our 2nd floor front porch I could see over the wall into the stadium. I would watch all of the Corps compete and asked my mother if I could join one of them. She agreed that I could when I was old enough to across the street..... LOL

I joined our local Jr Corps from Lynn and, as my proficiency increased, I was invited to move up. As I got older I moved on to Sr Corps. (All age now).....

My Corps history is in my signature....

• Like 2

Parents met when my dad was a director of a tiny corps in Green Bay, and my mom was his guard instructor. They moved to FL, had me, and took me to my first show (and my first finals) when I was just under 6 weeks old. They took me to DCI Orlando for quite a few years, stopped, and then the summer before my freshman year, they took me to tour premiere in the theater. I fell in love with something I never realized had been a part of me for my whole life. Heck, it's the only reason i'm alive. Ironically, the first show I ever saw was Crown (1997 for reference). Now to see them at the top, and to know that I was there when they were at the very bottom of the finals pack is pretty darn cool. Sorry for going on and on, haha.

As a young kid I lived across the street from Manning Bowl in Lynn MA on Rt 107. From our 2nd floor front porch I could see over the wall into the stadium. I would watch all of the Corps compete and asked my mother if I could join one of them. She agreed that I could when I was old enough to across the street..... LOL

I joined our local Jr Corps from Lynn and, as my proficiency increased, I was invited to move up. As I got older I moved on to Sr Corps. (All age now).....

My Corps history is in my signature....

How cool is that? Great story!

• Like 1

Initially played trombone in 6th grade but had to abandon it because my arms weren't long enough. Subsequently moved to trumpet and was introduced by a small corps in my hometown by one of my classmates. Spent a couple years in that corps and eventually branched out to Surf for a year, then Crossmen for a year, then finished with Cadets for 2 years. Abandoned my last two years to join the Navy. Kinda wish I didn't, but at least I got a ring out of it. :cool: