Phantom Regiment horn alums wanted

I will be there.

Pray for me since I have never played a trumpet (we of course played soprano bugles in 1956-1960) and whatever facility I had to read sheet music faded a long time ago.

Nonetheless, I have been taking trumpet lessons since early April and so far these 71- year old lips and lungs have responded. I only hope my valve fingering will respond as well.

I am genuinely delighted to return to my hometown and participate, for the first time, in playing Elsa's Procession.

And so will all other Phantom alumni, in spirit if not in place.

SUTA

Hey 1956OPR - how was the Alumni gathering at the Show of Shows? I saw a video of it and you guys sounded incredible!

Hey 1956OPR - how was the Alumni gathering at the Show of Shows? I saw a video of it and you guys sounded incredible!

Hello Lincoln. Thanks for the question. And thanks for the kudos.

The alumni reunion was everything I had hoped for, beginning with the first rehearsal on Thursday evening for the 100 or so brass alumni that attended, a rehearsal guided by my 1950s/early 1960s contemporary, Jim Wren. What a kick(halt)!

The party later that evening was open to all alumni and the public. Lincoln, you would have enjoyed it.

On Friday morning, we had a second alumni rehearsal outdoors at Bishop Boylan Central Catholic HS (site of the Show of Shows), followed by one highlight of the reunion, a chance to have a food-truck-prepared lunch with this year's corps members. Meatballs and marinara sauce on hot dog buns never tasted so good.

At this lunch, I had a chance to visit with a group of young trumpet players, most of them rookies and new to drum corps. They were all enthusiastic about embarking on their drum corps careers and making the alumni proud of their efforts in representing the Regiment. I have no doubts about their willingness to work hard together to achieve their goals of learning their craft and presenting an entertaining and winning program.

Walking onto the field that evening and joining, along with my alumni brethren (men and women) and the 2014 Corps, was special. Playing "Elsa's Return to the Cathedral", a revised arrangement of our anthem, was a real emotional treat for this old guy.

And now, my trumpet career is over…unless we choose to have 40th anniversary rendition of Elsa's. If so, and if I am able, I will be there.

And I invite all other alumni not to miss the next opportunity to have as much fun.

SUTA!

• Like 1

I really wish I could've been there but finances just wouldn't allow it. I haven't been to Rockford since 94 (haven't played a horn since then either.) I think the whole experience would have been a blast. (Plus, I've never gotten to play Elsa's-- it wasn't on the retreat menu during the years I marched.)

The party later that evening was open to all alumni and the public. Lincoln, you would have enjoyed it.

It sounds like everyone had a great time. If I had gone I would have embarrased myself by asking for autographs...

Lincoln, I forgot to mention another of the highlights of the recent alumni gathering at the Show of Shows.

One of the traditions of the current corps is for the age-outs to leave their Regiment dog-tags on the field after their last show or maybe after one of the finals week's shows. If one of our alumni knows the specifics, I would appreciate knowing the facts, including when the tradition started.

At the SOS gathering, a couple of alumni provided each of us a dog-tag rimmed in red and stamped with data about our Elsa's performance. I wish I could remember the names of those who did this but, apart from Ray from Louisiana. I am unable to give either the credit they deserve for this gesture.

Needless to say, I did not leave my dog-tag on Boylan's field that night.

Lincoln, I forgot to mention another of the highlights of the recent alumni gathering at the Show of Shows.

One of the traditions of the current corps is for the age-outs to leave their Regiment dog-tags on the field after their last show or maybe after one of the finals week's shows. If one of our alumni knows the specifics, I would appreciate knowing the facts, including when the tradition started.

At the SOS gathering, a couple of alumni provided each of us a dog-tag rimmed in red and stamped with data about our Elsa's performance. I wish I could remember the names of those who did this but, apart from Ray from Louisiana. I am unable to give either the credit they deserve for this gesture.

Needless to say, I did not leave my dog-tag on Boylan's field that night.

That was a really nice gesture on their part! If you wanted to know the additional names you could write the corps to find out.