DCI Top 12 Key Staff 2014

it may sound sexist but it is fact. I really believe and have seen it dozens no hundreds of times and many females will admit it..

There is a wise old saying..." when you've dug yourself a big enough hole,.. you should stop digging "

Edited by BRASSO

There is a wise old saying..." when you've dug yourself a big hole,.. you should stop digging "

look Brasso, no hole digging here. either you want to know it or you don't , it really doesn't matter at all. You or anyone can have their own opinion or believe what you want. BUT I think 30 plus years of teaching thousands of people ,most female i just may have a little knowledge on the subject. But hey, I'm not asking anyone to agree , or even believe. Doesn't really matter.

I stand by what I have said 1000% and have even asked females I have taught WHY and do you prefer this or that. SO, I have the 1st hand knowledge, whether politically correct or not. You or whoever made statement on why or that there aren't females in leadership positions. I offered some reasons. Take them or leave them.

Edited by GUARDLING

I will stick my neck out and have been told this millions of times and mostly by females..YES..as i said in another post , many , if not most females relate more to a male instructor. Is it right? of course not, is it valid that one is better than another ? NO! does it happen ? absolutely YES.

I have had to literally fight for a female instructors I have hired and this was not by other staff, it was by members. This is from HS programs to drum corps. Believe it or not the HS kids were more of a problem with it than drum corps.

Some may find this outrageous and that's fine. It's 30 plus years of experience ( continuous ) that I make these statements. Is it EVERY CASE? No of course not. MANY? yes!

Oh, I see it everywhere and it's something that needs to stop.

There's a stereotype and I've also heard it from many female friends that they relate better to men than other women. It's something in our culture that really must change. I'm a little surprised that the guard world is like this, but then again when I think about it, it makes sense and there's a little more to it, but it's really out of the realm of discussion for DCP.

look Brasso, no hole digging here. either you want to know it or you don't , .

I stand by what I have said 1000% .

ok.

Oh, I see it everywhere and it's something that needs to stop.

There's a stereotype and I've also heard it from many female friends that they relate better to men than other women. It's something in our culture that really must change. I'm a little surprised that the guard world is like this, but then again when I think about it, it makes sense and there's a little more to it, but it's really out of the realm of discussion for DCP.

yes you are right. I have asked many many females WHY they do this. Most always they agree they do it and usually laugh knowing they were outed. I always respond that if they would just stop doing it and banded together ( and many don't ) they would dominate . But it never happens. AS I said , I have had at times to put my own position on the line fighting for a female i wanted on staff. Usually it worked out ok BUT a fight along the way

I'm a little surprised that the guard world is like this, but then again when I think about it, it makes sense and there's a little more to it, but it's really out of the realm of discussion for DCP.

Really ? Why in your view is the discusion of the role of females in DCI, or WGI " really out of the realm of discussion for DCP " ?

Edited by BRASSO

Really ? Why in your view is the discusion of the role of females in DCI, or WGI " really out of the realm of discussion for DCP " ?

...because I don't want to go down certain paths of discussion, sorta like politics and religion. So, I understand your curiosity, but my feeling is that some things aren't appropriate to talk about here.

Wow, this got interesting. Ok, here are some hypotheses so far. Probably a combination of reasons explains this.

1. Women tend not to volunteer in the first place because they are too busy planning their careers.

2. Women tend not to seek leadership positions as often as men (a point generally acknowledged) Take your pick:

2a. Cultural reasons (fixable)

2b. Genetic reasons (not fixable, but can potentially be coped with)

3. Women believe that women guard members would prefer a man (Guardling's "Under the bus" hypothesis)

4. Old boy network.

4a. Men discriminate against women in hiring practices.

4b. Women tend not to even try to break into male-dominated leadership roles.

I am NOT saying these things are true. They are just some ideas that some might argue may play a role in the explanation. I vote for #1, 2a, and 4b. #3 is interesting, but I would hope in general the bosses wouldn't ask members to vet potential staff anyway (they've generally been chosen before auditions I would think). If they are going through extra confirmation for women instructors, then that would really be 4a at work.