DCI Top 12 Key Staff 2014

I guess I'm not totally surprised but there are only 3 woman on that list of Top 12 Key Staff... Out of 170.

We've been told that its a combination of qualifications, talent... and that " Woman don't want these jobs". I'm not buying it.. but thats what the reasons are that have been put forth for such paltry numbers. We had a poster on here last week that claims that DCI Drum Corps is NOT " run by a good old boy network " . That comment is almost fall down funny. ( 'glad most of us here have a sense of humor on all this stuff we read and hear from time to time,.. haha! )

Edited by BRASSO

We've been told that its a combination of qualifications, talent... and that " Woman don't want these jobs". I'm not buying it.. but thats what the reasons are that have been put forth for such paltry numbers. We had a poster on here last week that claims that DCI Drum Corps is NOT " run by a good old boy network " . That comment is almost fall down funny. ( 'glad most of us here have a sense of humor on all this stuff we read and hear from time to time,.. haha! )

the poster as you say( Jeff I believe ) happened to be right. Most women do not want these jobs. Even in the guard activity there are way more men then women teaching and most that I know anyway do not want the upper positions for a multitude of reasons. One can choose to believe something or not, that's a persons choice, but there are some facts presented from people actually involved with many of these females. Is there a good ole boys club? I think to an extent it is still there ( more in judging ) but noone is keeping females out. Females are just smarter i have found..lol

You are right about one thing you do need a sense of humor here :augen51:

Edited by GUARDLING

. Most women do not want these jobs.

Ok, then regarding progressive change ( that some like to narrate about on here), if as you say " woman do not want these jobs ", then they'll be no" progressive change in Drum Corps" in this respect and a " good ol boy network " DCI will remain, and so I guess thats that.

Edited by BRASSO

Regarding the male female equation, I think the problem runs deeper than the upper levels of DCI. The fact is, if its not color guard or front ensemble, there's not a lot of motivation (specifically coming from teachers) for young women to go march drum corps at the scholastic level. Its a bummer. I see it in my own program and try to fight against it. Even at the middle school level, the majority of percussionists are divided between boys on drums and girls on mallet equipment. The brass members that come into scholastic programs are majority male, while the woodwind players are majority female. I'm not privy to the hiring processes at the upper levels of drum corps, but I think the problem itself starts at the scholastic level.

Edited by actucker

Regarding the male female equation, I think the problem runs deeper than the upper levels of DCI. The fact is, if its not color guard or front ensemble, there's not a lot of motivation (specifically coming from teachers) for young women to go march drum corps at the scholastic level. Its a bummer. I see it in my own program and try to fight against it. Even at the middle school level, the majority of percussionists are divided between boys on drums and girls on mallet equipment. The brass members that come into scholastic programs are majority male, while the woodwind players are majority female. I'm not privy to the hiring processes at the upper levels of drum corps, but I think the problem itself starts at the scholastic level.

Sounds like the best Big Bang Theory episode ever. Now, as to your other point, there still should be approximately the same proportion of women instructors as there are women members in drum corps. And while members may not be a 50/50 split overall, it's still a lot better than 3/170.

I wonder if it has to do with career goals. Are male drum corps students more likely to pursue performing arts careers? Whereas women, being smarter or more responsible, know there are no jobs in the performing arts and so they use their drum corps work ethic to excel in fields with actual opportunities.

We have to remember that even these key instructors had to go through years of volunteering before ever actually being paid (assuming they are paid now). Were they earning a living the rest of the year? So, do women take less risky career choices early on? Today, you have to be crazy to say "I want to be a music teacher!"

Ok, then regarding progressive change ( that some like to narrate about on here), if as you say " woman do not want these jobs ", then they'll be no" progressive change in Drum Corps" in this respect and a " good ol boy network " DCI will remain, and so I guess thats that.

it all depends what YOU want to call progressive. I think that word has nothing to do with this at all. If youre saying with less females, will there always be a good ole boy club so to speak? Maybe. Are females, good ones, offered positions of leadership, yes I have seen it more times than I can count .

Even in the world of guard, which is probably more female than male, males dominate the teaching and director positions. Funny though , I have taught many many females and if you ask them ( and I have ) they would rather be taught by males. I have asked this over and over through the years with mostly the same answer. SO, maybe,females also have a part in this lack of balance. It wouldn't be the 1st time females have thrown other females under the bus. Just ask some females , most will agree with that sad but true statement.

Edited by GUARDLING