Engagement with the past?

I guess what I really take from this is...

Why not bring someone from the "legacy" years in to talk about the performance you are reviewing? I'd be happy to answer any questions (to the best of my memory) and provide insight about the show.

Let me know what questions you have!

Matt

(BTW, we had 2 marimbas, 2 vibes, one xylo, one bells, one aux, and one kettledrummer in the pit. The end of the show we left 3 in the pit, the rest joined the cymbal line from the mello solo to the end...effect!)

The weirdest part about their comments about not being able to hear the tubas is that as often as not, this is more true of modern corps, where the bottom is too likely to dominated by synth, than it was of corps in the late 1980s.

Found this on the SR Alumni Scholarship FB page...:

srcontra1_zpsd87a543a.jpg

Thought this appropriate since the 80's 'standard' of 8 Contra players seemed to provide plenty of low end BITD.

Of course, I have a theory about that as well...:

pinks2.jpg

Sorry... Couldn't resist...

And before a 7 page tonal comparison breaks out surrounding the 'bhlaaaaat' quotient of older lines, please realize this is just my weak attempt at a light-hearted response...

(and a really good excuse to post that King ad...)