7:10 pm Troopers

7:27 pm The Cavaliers

7:44 pm Phantom Regiment

8:01 pm break

8:18 pm The Cadets

8:35 pm Carolina Crown

Chat Room

Edited by corpsband

Will this event be scored...or is it existing as an "exhibition"?

Thank you, corpsband.

The reason I asked is this: even for a Troopers wonk such as myself, it strikes me that there is (at least given last year's results) a bit of a gulf between the Troopers and the other 4. Now...do you think this will provide some form, albeit unintentional, of "benefit," either to the Troopers OR the other 4? I think we can all agree that a corps' first score of the season can provided a foundation upon which subsequent scores will be based (would you rather start your season at the level of 55.8, 60.8, 65.8, or 70.8?). Will there be a benefit to the Troopers through being associated with the other 4 (Judge's thinking: "I don't want to knock them TOO far down from the other 4.")? If this indeed happens, would the scores for the other 4 be unnaturally inflated (Judge's thinking: "Geez, I gave Troop this score, and the following groups are definitely a few degrees above that -- so I have to show it.")?

Not meaning to stir controversy over the first show of the year -- but the issue does intrigue me to a degree.

In any event, I wish all the corps well, and hope they all can provide a show to remember to kick off the new season!!! Man, it's been a long winter!! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Edited by HornTeacher

I'll play too. I actually think the scores will start a little higher as it seems several of the corps may be coming out stronger than in previous years.

Crown 74.8

Cadets 74.1

Cavaliers 72.2

Phantom 71.0

Troopers 64.8

I'm also curious to see how the scores get judged once the Open Class corps are in, since they are on WC sheets this year. They will either be very low or numbers are going to be all over the place!

• Like 1

Thank you, corpsband.

The reason I asked is this: even for a Troopers wonk such as myself, it strikes me that there is (at least given last year's results) a bit of a gulf between the Troopers and the other 4. Now...do you think this will provide some form, albeit unintentional, of "benefit," either to the Troopers OR the other 4? I think we can all agree that a corps' first score of the season can provided a foundation upon which subsequent scores will be based (would you rather start your season at the level of 55.8, 60.8, 65.8, or 70.8?). Will there be a benefit to the Troopers through being associated with the other 4 (Judge's thinking: "I don't want to knock them TOO far down from the other 4.")? If this indeed happens, would the scores for the other 4 be unnaturally inflated (Judge's thinking: "Geez, I gave Troop this score, and the following groups are definitely a few degrees above that -- so I have to show it.")?

Not meaning to stir controversy over the first show of the year -- but the issue does intrigue me to a degree.

In any event, I wish all the corps well, and hope they all can provide a show to remember to kick off the new season!!! Man, it's been a long winter!! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

It's a great question. IMO show dynamics (who's there and when they're on) certainly influence scores.

In theory, the rubric on the back of the sheets determines a score. But in practice, it's all about spreads and relative scores.

Being the only guy in your neighborhood (Troop at this show) could help them score a bit higher since there's no need to "leave room" around their score.

OTOH who the heck knows what will happen.

Throw in the "first show of the season" factor and you get a one-armed bandit of scores.

• Like 1