Can it be

As I've perused and sometimes participated in various DCP threads for just about a year (and yes, I still consider myself to be a "newbie"), I've seen a particular theme come up over and over again: that being, the whole issue of generational knowledge and respect. Some who are based in earlier generations of the activity will state their wish that those of the contemporary generation of marchers would have more appreciation (and knowledge) of what came before them (now). Some who are based in the contemporary generation will express their dissatisfaction with the earlier (Dino) crowd, and point out that they don't feel they're being respected. When a poster of one generation answers to a poster of the differing generation, we find a range of answers such as "You're wrong. We do.", "You're right...but so what?", "We do...and you're not listening.", and a hundred other variations on a theme.

I would ask that the following link be watched -- even if you've seen it a hundred times before. Look at the kids...even turn down the volume if need be. You'll find that there are those who are bored, those who don't care, and some who don't seem to appreciate what they are hearing. BUT -- you'll also see those who are excited, those who DO care, and those who totally appreciate what they are hearing. Not to mention those who, it is totally apparent, probably know the program as well as those who originally marched it. To me, it totally kills all efforts for generational generalizations (say that 5 times fast :tounge2: ).

As for me, I find this snippet incredibly uplifting. Every time I sit in my office, brooding with self-pity over the apparent notion that "they just don't GET it" (and I'm talking about my own band office, about my OWN students after a particularly tough day), I turn to this. And I discover (for the umpteenth time) that I'm wrong.

(Edit) Link didn't work. Go down to post #94 and use George's link. For some reason, his comes through. Sorry.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

(Deleted)

Edited by HornTeacher

Amen, George. Amen.

Edited by HornTeacher

51. I'm not sure I get your point.

I listen to Sirius the car / also play music off my Galaxy via Pandora etc etc...

And yes - I still enjoy the music of TODAY. I'm not one of those folks listening to music popular when I was in HS

So maybe I have a little more in common with the kids marching today or considering to march than some other 51 year olds. Or 37 year olds.

My point was are you in TUNE with today's trends. Searching out what you like on Pandora etc... may tell me the answer. Which is no?

Pandora?! You jive turkey. Yo mamma ain't no fool. Pandora is the cat's pajamas.

• Like 1

Voted # 1 DCP new poster for the month of June :

http://www.techmagz.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Remote-Computer-Support.jpg

Edited by BRASSO

Came in 2nd place in June, but hopes to rebound and be DCP new poster of the month for July :

http://www.pmcaregivers.com/images/Ixfl3EXlSRXJ9tvot5HIneEMwgamesfree_ca_funny_pictures_black_white-0007_small.jpg