Can it be

Perhaps DCI should take some notes from WGI....continual growth in the number of units competing.....to the point of having to create a fourth competitive colorguard class at championships next year....finals that sell out every single year.....

• Like 1

While I tend to agree with the OP in every way I still have some interest in DCI. It's ironic that the only current staff member that I know personally is an electronics guy and that's the number one thing driving me away from the activity. I appreciate the hard work all the participants put in but my support is waining more and more every year. This is the first year since it's been available that I haven't paid for the fan network and a DVD/Blu-Ray. I suppose I'll keep making the trek to San Antonio for the one show a year as it's become a family tradition. I'll keep my matching funds contribution to the Madison Scouts through my company as well but I doubt I'll bother making the trip to Indy again or any of the the theater events. Maybe for every "old fart" like me who loses interest someone new learns about DCI and enjoys the current trends.

Interesting thoughts!

Actually, it's been the Fan Network experience that's bringing this 63 year old BACK to the activity! Here is something that has a chance to round-up many who have drifted away over time. This kind of access really DOES work!

I'd rather see a thousand twerks than hear another single sound created by a synthesizer.

Then you, sir, have never truly seen an improperly executed twerk.

Multiply that horror by what amounts to 150 band geeks making the attempt, and I'd bet you'd be begging for the most thunderous goo possible to liquefy your brain in what would be a vain attempt to un-see what you just saw.

• Like 2

There are a variey of corps around with a variety of styles. If you dont want to watch a show, you can take a 10 minute break at a show if you really need to. I know what its like to just not want to watch a show again, and i usually pick a #### break show for finals day.

We know which corps tend to do more electronics. We know which corps tend to do more voice over or singing. We know which corps use experimental props. We know which corps tend to keep it more traditional in style. Its a dci for everyone type of a thing. You aren't going to like all of everyone. But you might like thkngs in all of them.

90% of drum corps are playing classical/symphonic music. That isn't what I call variety. It's quote boring actually.

Edited by FlamMan

First ( and lastly ) scrap the entire current judging criteria system ( not tweak it ), and rewrite an entirely new one where somehow, some way the audience (" the people" ) have some say in the scoring and placements ( as they used to have for decades in the influence and the scoring in Drum Corps ). Absent that whiolesale judging system change, we are all just kidding ourselves here that in the future that " Drum Corps will be brought back to the people ". Thats fantasyland, and I really see no value in living in fantasyland.

I have been saying this for years. It is 2014. The technology exists to make the judging system more intereactive & allow fans to vote via their cell phones. But DCI is afraid to lose control of part of the scoring. If they were smart, they would realize that allowing fans to have a partial say in scoring could lead to somewhat of a rebirth of the drum corps activity. It would most certainly lead to more fan friendly, melodic & entertaining shows, which is sorely sorely needed in this activity.

I miss the mid show standing ovation!

If that means we see designs and trends bleeding over into DCI, I'll take it.

That is exactly what is wrong with drum corps today. The WGI influence has not been good for this activity.

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 2

I have been saying this for years. It is 2014. The technology exists to make the judging system more intereactive & allow fans to vote via their cell phones. But DCI is afraid to lose control of part of the scoring. If they were smart, they would realize that allowing fans to have a partial say in scoring could lead to somewhat of a rebirth of the drum corps activity. It would most certainly lead to more fan friendly, melodic & entertaining shows, which is sorely sorely needed in this activity.

I miss the mid show standing ovation!

Disaster !

Edited by GUARDLING

90% of drum corps are playing classical/symphonic music. That isn't what I call variety. It's quote boring actually.

Because all classical/symphonic music sounds the same. my bad.

That is exactly what is wrong with drum corps today. The WGI influence has not been good for this activity.

what you dont realize is that that same WGI influence is why many of the kids march today and are taught by the same people so maybe its the old DCI influence which bored those same DCI people into a more creative outlet like WGI...just a thought