JUDGING NUMBERS MANAGEMENT

Do you recall gymnastics - They went to the thousandth place decimal because all the competitors were performing at the highest level. Now a 9.0 is expected, and from there, they have 999 places to use for rating.

Part of the problem is the boxes, their "description" and range. The judge tries to fit the groups in these boxes to match the descriptor. It just gets too crowded.

Box 1 Never - 0 - 49

Box 2 Rarely - 50 - 59

Box 3 Sometimes - 60 - 79

Box 4 Frequently - 80 - 89

Box 5 Consistently - 90 - 96

Box 6 Set New Standards - 97 - 100

They may need to evaluate these, and recalibrate the scale.

IDK, is there an actual problem or is there a perceived/non-existent problem that we're discussing here on DCP? To be kind of blunt there aren't a lot of WC corps, so is there a real need to readjust box score calibration? At first, I was thinking something along, "yeah there should be less range in Box 1, less range in Box 5, and more range in Box 2-4" but really, if corps don't think there is a problem then there isn't a problem.

I think this discussion came about when some of us were a little perplexed how one judge seemingly had numbers management issues the first show of the year (with a 4 point spread from 7th-1st in both sub-captions). That judge clearly 'learned his lesson,' got talked to, etc. and straightened things out the next show and there haven't been any problems. The DCI judges, IMO, do a great job most of the time, and it's only a small handful of times a year when there are some questionable numbers issues. The larger Regional/Focus shows make things more difficult with all the corps in attendance, but again for the most part judges do a good job with numbers

• Like 1

it would be very hard to wait to score after all is done , although I get what you are saying. Remember it is hours later and levels from top to bottom. note taking like the past on sheets is almost impossible

I think what was suggested was waiting to lock in scores until after a block of corps performs. For larger Regional shows that makes sense, and you wouldn't want to wait longer than locking in after multiple blocks of performances ("block" being generically referred to in this case as between breaks). Especially earlier in a show where a judge might want to lock things in after he sees multiple corps and gets a feel for where the numbers should be for a given time of year. If you pop the first show on a 75, and realize lots of corps in that "block" are sitting at a mid-Box 3 level due to criteria on sheets, you might want to adjust the first numbers down in order to both have spreads and to keep numbers the judge thinks the unit earned

I think what was suggested was waiting to lock in scores until after a block of corps performs. For larger Regional shows that makes sense, and you wouldn't want to wait longer than locking in after multiple blocks of performances ("block" being generically referred to in this case as between breaks). Especially earlier in a show where a judge might want to lock things in after he sees multiple corps and gets a feel for where the numbers should be for a given time of year. If you pop the first show on a 75, and realize lots of corps in that "block" are sitting at a mid-Box 3 level due to criteria on sheets, you might want to adjust the first numbers down in order to both have spreads and to keep numbers the judge thinks the unit earned

agree

And how do you know they "get it right" anyhow?

Just once, I'd like to see Prelims judged normally, then Semi's order randomly drawn. They can go back to ranked order for Finals. But just one time I'd like to see it happen.

A 19.3 should be a 19.3 any day, any time, any corps.

That was my point. "Get it right" being inside quotes was meant to imply that certain corps are "supposed" to be in specific overall standings groups (some call this slotting).