Question regarding scoring...(my ignorance on display).

What I don't understand though is how does a show become 20 points harder at this point of the season until Finals? How does the "rep" score go from 70-90 if it doesn't change much? In fact, many corps will start to soften up some things around mid-July, parts that may have been written too difficult and the corps can't seem to get it right, so they change the book and make it a little easier. I'm just not sure how the judges go about assigning a "rep" score.

My only guess would be that the cleaner a corps performs something, then the more apparent it becomes that what they just did was more difficult than how they performed it the week before.

as the show is better performed, more of the nuance and detailing of the demand becomes more visible.

i'll explain it the way a judge once explained it to me:

"anyone can write a hard show. But for us to be able to dig and see just how hard it is, it has to be performed well. What we saw tonight wasn't performed well."

• Like 1

What I don't understand though is how does a show become 20 points harder at this point of the season until Finals? How does the "rep" score go from 70-90 if it doesn't change much? In fact, many corps will start to soften up some things around mid-July, parts that may have been written too difficult and the corps can't seem to get it right, so they change the book and make it a little easier. I'm just not sure how the judges go about assigning a "rep" score.

My only guess would be that the cleaner a corps performs something, then the more apparent it becomes that what they just did was more difficult than how they performed it the week before.

A number of staffs have planned changes they add at certain times during the season. While the intent can be to increase the GE score, some of it is to wake up the members who might have become a little too comfortable with the show. With new material, they will focus a bit more on everything and the show may score higher.

It is rubric scoring for all captions. 5 or 6 description boxes with point values assigned. Judge puts a corps in a box based on the description and then places a number within that box to reflect a score.

Rubrics do no make subjective content objectively accessible. They just subdivide and categorize subjectivity to reach a more verifiable final score.

What corps are looking for is the balance between compostion and performance scores. If perf/achv is much higher than comp/rep... then they are outperforming the show (that's not usually a good thing). Ideally they want to have high rep scores early... and build performance up. Performance is easier to grow. Rep requires rewrites or planned additions. With rep... corps mostly "dance with the one they brought". That's why initial design is so important.