Question regarding scoring...(my ignorance on display).

Here's a recap sheet:

Rep Perf Tot Rep Perf Tot Comp Achv Tot Sbst Achv Tot Cont Achv Tot

From my understanding the judges score on Performance and Achievement, and how it relates to the Rep, Comp, Sbst and Content...correct??

Who determines the start value for the those (Rep, Comp, Sbst and Cont)?

Nothing matters, it's all subjective and the scores are pretty much arbitrary. A "74" means nothing from one show to the next. It's just a number assigned to show ranking between competitors on the same field.

In fact, nothing to me suggests that a top corps should start out the season somewhere around 74. Why not 50? Why not 80? If a corps scores 98 points at Finals, but started the season with a 74, does that mean that the corps' show started only 75% of the quality that it had by Finals? I don't think so.

Nothing matters, it's all subjective and the scores are pretty much arbitrary. A "74" means nothing from one show to the next. It's just a number assigned to show ranking between competitors on the same field.

In fact, nothing to me suggests that a top corps should start out the season somewhere around 74. Why not 50? Why not 80? If a corps scores 98 points at Finals, but started the season with a 74, does that mean that the corps' show started only 75% of the quality that it had by Finals? I don't think so.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear...the recap sheet has Rep and Perf. Not sure what those stand for exactly, but from what I understand the Judge is assigning a number that goes under Perf...who assigns the Rep number and where does that come from?

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear...the recap sheet has Rep and Perf. Not sure what those stand for exactly, but from what I understand the Judge is assigning a number that goes under Perf...who assigns the Rep number and where does that come from?

That same judge also determines the rep value.

I think repertoire = what does it consist of? How difficult is it? Ach or Perf would be "how well did you achieve/perform your repertoire?"

Edited by BoyWonder1911

I think repertoire = what does it consist of? How difficult is it? Ach or Perf would be "how well did you achieve/perform your repertoire?"

I believe in the simplest form, that's exactly what it is.

That same judge also determines the rep value.

How is that value determined? Seeing a show for the first time how does a judge know that Cadets Rep is a 76 and Troopers is a 63? In this case, is it assumed that Cadets stuff is just harder, given benefit of the doubt, or is in fact that much harder? That's part of judging I don't understand...I can see judging their performance and how well they achieved it, but that other caption seems random...?

Edited by JKT90

How is that value determined? Seeing a show for the first time how does a judge know that Cadets Rep is a 76 and Troopers is a 63? In this case, is it assumed that Cadets stuff is just harder, given benefit of the doubt, or is in fact that much harder? That's part of judging I don't understand...I can see judging their performance and how well they achieved it, but that only caption seems random...?

Well it's based on the book and drill and how they intertwine (for GE atleast). I can assure you that the Cadets play a harder percussion book than say Crossmen do and therefore will get a higher rep score for percussion. The judges determine the difficulty of the book by comparing with other corps. The initial score is arbitrary. Same with Visual. They'll look at how hard the drill was, how fast, etc and assign a rep score based on that. How well it is performed will go under the perf category. Atleast, that's my understanding of it.

What I don't understand though is how does a show become 20 points harder at this point of the season until Finals? How does the "rep" score go from 70-90 if it doesn't change much? In fact, many corps will start to soften up some things around mid-July, parts that may have been written too difficult and the corps can't seem to get it right, so they change the book and make it a little easier. I'm just not sure how the judges go about assigning a "rep" score.

My only guess would be that the cleaner a corps performs something, then the more apparent it becomes that what they just did was more difficult than how they performed it the week before.

There are examples of sheets out there somewhere. I have a set of WGI percussion sheets at home...these would be similar ...

https://www.wgi.org/contents/Percussion-Score-Sheets.html

Composition - Orchestration, Elements of Design, Range of Content, Variety, Continuity, Clarity of Intent, Simultaneous Responsibility.

Performance - Sound Production, Musicianship, Rhythmic Clarity, Uniformity, Ensemble Cohesiveness

How much was displayed by the music presented:

How often did they achieve these attributes:

Box 1 Never - 0 - 49

Box 2 Rarely - 50 - 59

Box 3 Sometimes - 60 - 79

Box 4 Frequently - 80 - 89

Box 5 Consistently - 90 - 96

Box 6 Set New Standards - 97 - 100

Edited by c mor