Oregon Crusaders 2014 - Better late than never

I counted 146 in uniform at the preview show. That makes them the biggest corps in the history of the Northwest.

OC14 = 150 strong. The cook trailer has more than doubled it's output since 2010 (said a cook mom).

Edited by luv4corps

In my intro to this topic, I basically meant they are behind from a cleaning standpoint visually, Visual is the biggest challenge for them currently. They will be there musically. Another thing that is different for OC this year is the timing of their tour. Normally, they go out for about 10 days and get another week of all days to help make up time. Not this year. Once they leave for Medford, they dont come home until after finals. Not sure if this matters or not, but it is different.

OC is a full corp this year. It is the biggest to come out from the NW ever. I beleive they have 80 horns. (2 members were on the sidelines for the preview)

Its hard to beleive that back in 2009, there were about 64 members. Their growth has been one step at a time for the last 5 years. Now, in the 2nd year of WC, it will be interesting to see how they do.

• Like 1

I know it may not be popular opinion, at all, in here, but strings in the marching setting is something I LOVE. There's a high school band in New Mexico I've seen twice live that used a Violin soloist one year, and a cello soloist the next year, and it was absolutely gorgeous, I thought it added a whole new sound and texture to the typical marching arts sound that was refreshing, cool, and very enhancing. They were used in one section as a soloist, and that's it, in both cases all the way through the impact points at that given moment in the show, and I thought it was an amazing addition. Love what Oregon is doing here, they sound great, love the show so far!

I too like that combination. I used a cello twice with the band I teach when we had a marvelous cellist in the guard and later as DM. She played featured solos, not through the entire shows, the first year in our "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" show (which I have always thought would make a great show for the Mandarins) and the second playing a solo in "Not While I'm Around" in our Sweeney Todd show.

Edited by MikeD

OC is a full corp this year. It is the biggest to come out from the NW ever. I beleive they have 80 horns. (2 members were on the sidelines for the preview)

Its hard to beleive that back in 2009, there were about 64 members. Their growth has been one step at a time for the last 5 years. Now, in the 2nd year of WC, it will be interesting to see how they do.

Yes 80 horns. Confirmed. To be a part of this organization for the past five years and watch it just explode has been very exciting. I don't know of another corps that has been on anything close to this trajectory.

This is the first year I've volunteered outside of the local show. As president of the newly formed Alumni Association, I figured it was a good thing to start doing.

When I was watching them practice, this is the corps to burst into top 12. WILL it happen? who knows. But they have the show design and talent level to do it.

Just wait until you hear the closer :devil:

• Like 1

On 7/1/2014 at 9:29 AM, OC Euph said:

When I was watching them practice, this is the corps to burst into top 12. WILL it happen? who knows. But they have the show design and talent level to do it.

-

Edited by Kazadar1

I've always found Oregon's consistent, slow and steady progress in placement, show design, and performance level very interesting:

2007 - 11th in Div. 2/3 (when combined with Division 2 Finalists)

2008 - 4th Place Open Class

2009 - 8th Place Open Class (A lot of current staff implemented if I remember correctly)

2010 - 2nd Place Open Class

2011 - 2nd Place Open Class (Higher Score, higher show design quality), 22nd World Class Prelims

2012 - 1st Place Open Class, 19th World Class Prelims

2013 - 17th Place World Class

I think the a little more demand, a little more show depth, a few more members approach is the way to go, and I think they waited to go World until they had consistent success in Open class. I'll disagree about last year, I thought that was a wonderfully complex show for a non-finalist to take on that by finals week was getting scary close to Colts and Pacific Crest.

I don't know about finals this year, but I don't think that 15th is out of the question, it'd be hard to top Troopers, Crossmen, or Spirit, in my opinion the corps vying for 12th place, but honestly I don't think that topping Colts, Pacific Crest, Mandarins, The Academy, Jersey Surf, ect. by seasons end is out of the question.

If I had to pick my next new finalist, it's Oregon in my eyes, I thought The Academy after 2011 would do it, but I think they've got a couple years to get back to that quality. Oregon is just consistently creeping up the rankings, nobody will see them coming until they're sitting at 13th or 14th in the next few years or so that they're not another previous Open Class phenom that's stuck in a rut, I think they're for real, and being really smart and methodical in their ascension, not trying to do too much in one year. Also as an organization, they just seem stupid smart and I can't wait to see that pay off.

Edited by DrumManTx

I honestly dont see them breaking past 15th. You have to take a look at the 16-12 place range and the corps that are currently in it. The problem with Oregon is their tour schedule. They simply start far too late IMO to do some real damage. But blame that on the school system.

I also feel like last year was a set back for them. The design felt incomplete compared to their previous years and visually, they just werent up to par. Will Ian Flint do a better job than Mike Fanning? We shall see as the summer goes on. I think they will do a fine job with the program they have, but I dont think it will be enough to break the top 12. Not this year at least.

One thing to remember is there is a very high chance these kids had the first show jitters. This was the first uniformed run in front of a paying crowd, let alone their friends and family as well.

Like I said, they COULD break top 12, however it's too early to tell at the moment. I am fully expecting a 12-15 placement. I would love higher, but that doesn't happen overnight (overyear? lol)

These kids are doing some incredible things, like what DrummanTx said with the historical placements. They will keep improving steadily due to well thought out planning.