Whitewater Classic

All shows were very good.

They started 45 min early with shows from three bands. I have never been to a band show so it was an interesting experience. It also put 250 or so more kids in the stands along with their family friends etc. a lot of seat surfing and having to remind myself that I too was once an annoying teenager.

It was nice to see Racine back in the old uniform and fielding a good size compared to last year. There were components that were very good. Soloist was solid. Narration was fun - when it could be heard.

Pioneer had some strong moments. Their props didn't do much for the show in my opinion. Went a little overboard on the electronics. It seemed like they had more fun in the show than I have seen before. Usually I don't have an appreciation for their music selections but that isn't the case this year.

I was looking forward to Jersey Surf. It wasn't the crazy fun shows of the past two years but I enjoyed it. There was a moment where the crowd all went "awhhh" at the same time.

I really liked Blue Stars. Uniform change was good but they need to work on keeping the shakos from popping up too early. Guard had some difficult work that looked great even before they clean it. I loved the props.

Madison was great. Love the music. Not sure how I feel about the end but the soloist was fabulous. And the wandering guy is just too bizarre right now.

I really liked the Blue Devils show. That is the first time I've said that since rediscovering the drum corps world a few years ago. The zombie (I'm guessing that is what he was) went on way too long. Their guard is just amazing.

It was a beautiful night to enjoy all of the corps.

• Like 2

They started 45 min early with shows from three bands. I have never been to a band show so it was an interesting experience.

High school marching bands? If so, I wonder how that was arranged in the summer.

High school marching bands? If so, I wonder how that was arranged in the summer.

There is a summer band competitive circuit in southeastern/central Wisconsin. Goes until mid-July. We have some members involved in it with their bands until mid-July and the Kilts actually support the circuit by appearing at their shows whenever our schedule allows.

Edited by bill
  • Like 1

That's most interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

BITD several sites hosted a Music Festival that included three competitive components: a concert band/wind ensemble, a parade band, a field show. I fondly remember preparations for each, even making sure our uniforms were perfect for inspection, yes part of the competition! Many summer units were "all-ages" and quite fine i.e. CYO groups and Tremper Summer Band. This circuit also included NE Illinois stops such as Dundee, Plainfield etc. The drums corps influence was prominent during this era: mid to late 70's.

It is part of the Mid America Competing Band Directors Association - in the mid to late 70s early 80s a very strong influence in that area of the country with High school Bands - what is now Bands of Amerca Grand Nationals started as Marching Bands of America and was held every summer in the 70s and early 80s. In 1979 there were 47 bands vying for the final 12 in Whitewater for MBA finals - what is left of the circuit is about 6-8 summer competitive bands from as put Southern Wisco, northern ILl and Canada -

www.macbda.org